• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SCHOOL -- 1967 vs. 2010

ExSarge

Inactive
Reaction score
SCHOOL -- 1967 vs. 2010     
Scenario 1:
Jack goes quail hunting
before school and then pulls into the school parking lot
with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.

1967 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's
shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.

2010 - School goes into lock down, Police called, Jack hauled
off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again.
Counsellors called in for traumatized students and teachers. 

Scenario 2:
Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1967 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2010 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both
charged with assault and both expelled, even though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3:
Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.

1967 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2010 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for A.D.D. The school gets extra money from the province because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:
Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1967 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to university and becomes a successful businessman.

2010 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The child welfare appointed psychologist tells/is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5: 
Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1967 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock.
2010 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons. 

Scenario 6:
Ivan fails high school English.

1967 - Ivan goes to summer school, passes English and goes to university.

2010 - Ivan cause is taken up by human rights group. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Ivan's English teacher.  English is then banned from core curriculum. Ivan is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English. 

Scenario 7:     
Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Canada Day weekend, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.

1967 - Ants die.

2010 - RCMP, CSIS and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The RCMP
investigates his parents and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated.
> Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is denied entry to the United States never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:
In grade 3, Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1967 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2010 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in Prison.  Johnny
undergoes 5 years of therapy.   

Sad and true.  It's a wonder that us "old schoolers" made it thru the younger years.  I once said on my facebook, that society has taken a drastic change for the worse since we stopped hearing the words "sir and ma'am" from the mouths of our youths.  To this day, I still open doors for ladies and older men-especially veterans-call those older than me sir or ma'am...and I'm getting up there too!!!
Perhaps it's a good thing that some of us are in Scouting or other youth organizations to pass on these little tidbits of respect. 
my  :2c:  go in peace and be well today.

At least twice back in the sixties, kids in my class brought guns to school for a school play and nobody thought twice.  A year ago I provided an old gun, simply as a prop,  for a local play.  I left the bolt at home, made sure I had all the paperwork, kept the gun until it was needed and quickly retreived it, and worried all the time that I would somehow get busted.  Times do change.

I took my brand shiney new Christams present into class for show & tell sometime in the mid to late 70s ...

I was so damn proud of that Swiss Army knife (because I was heading odd to Dwingeloo camping that year) ... I thought the tweezers and the toothpick were the cats ass. I can't see that being allowable today though ...

"High School 1959 vs 2009" Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_LFB-NMm7E
Toronto now has Police Officers permanently stationed in schools:
http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/pdfs/17686.pdf
Dufferin and Lawrence W.:
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/toronto/archive/2009/10/23/school-resource-officer-beaten-while-breaking-up-robbery-police-say.aspx
Toronto / Northern Secondary:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhfh8P0FomI
Jane and Finch ( some locals less than enthusiastic about S.R.O.'s ):
http://jane-finch.com/videos/copsinschools.htm

My good friend lived in the town where the school was located and I lived in a village where the school bus picked up the kids to go to school. He was coming out for a visit, and of course we generally shot a lot of gophers for entertainment on the weekend. No problem, he came home to our place on the school bus bringing his .22 and a brick of ammo. No drama here, what's the problem?

In the early-70s, in Grade 4 I think, I took my dad's Mk III SMLE to school for show and tell... with the sword bayonet attached. Walked about a klick down the road to school with it at 'the trail', while wearing my WW2 helmet of course. I took it to my classroom and the Principal, who had been in the Navy in WW2, dropped in and had a look at it much as described in the above note. I just left it there during the day, then walked home with it.

We used to go shooting on a local range with it about once a month too.

No dramas then... Now? Hoo boy...

I started Kindergarden in 1959. Which meant that many of our fathers and grandfathers were veterans of both World Wars. From both sides. There were a lot of souvenirs. They weren't as valuable then as now. A lot of wives insisted they be disposed of, so the kids didn't get accidentally killed. I'm sure some were thrown out of car windows. I have read that American veterans of the War in the Pacific collected enemy skulls, and that some of them were also disposed of. Apparently, this lead to the police being called in to investigate possible homicides.

I thought the american marines in WWII collected the gold teeth, not the whole skulls. Probably got melted down and made into family jewelry, lol.

Jed said:
I thought the american marines in WWII collected the gold teeth, not the whole skulls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_mutilation_of_Japanese_war_dead

1967:  ExSarge publishes  the opening comparitive commentary in the MSM and is widely acclaimed as a respected humorist.

2010:  ExSarge publishes the opening comparitive commentary in the MSM and is castigated as an insensitive, inappropriately behaving, narrow-minded boor who symbolizes all that is fundamentally flawed with Euro-centric  societal values.   

1967: Children learned to be self sufficient, take necessary risks and go on to accomplish many great things in society all while maintaining good humour and a positive outlook.

2010: Children become overly fearful and risk adverse and lose the skills needed to accomplish great things. They generally maintain their sense of humour and a positive outlook but it is sometimes not understood by the previous generations.

Back