• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SAS mounted in LAVIII Turret

ERIK2RCR

Inactive
Reaction score
I just fininshed a week of training on the SAS system, and I'm just wondering if anyone has actually seen the system mounted in a carrier. Some of us have concerns reference the amount of space it's going to take up.

It has been discussed before.

If you want to have it in the Turret, you would best be 4'2".  There is a box under the Crew commanders chair that restricts his up and down range of movement.  There is a box under the Crew Commanders foot rest that takes away six to eight inches of leg room and causes the Commander to have his knees in his chin when he drops down to use the sights.  There is a monitor mounted between the Commander and Gunner which restricts them both to visually check each others drills and is in the way of the Main Ammo bin.  Therefore you should be 4'2" to feel comfortable in the turret, abut that monitor gets in the way, no matter what size you are.

We've got it in some of our LAVs. I've been in the turret with it, but only during maintenance.

It is a tight squeeze. I'm only 5'6" and 140lbs (give or take) and I was having to climb out of the turret to switch from the CC to the GNR's seat. I'm sure I could handle the controls properly with the SAS installed, but I know bigger guys who have trouble moving around in the turret under normal circumstances. The monitor slides on a rail and rotates in position so I'll bet moving it around will become a regular part of the weapons drills. I'm curious to see how this will work in the field.

Whether or not the benefits of the system outweigh the disadvantages remains to be seen.

Back