• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sandbag Alternatives - Stormbag

bb1

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all new equipment out check it out
http://www.stormtec.net/
So what u think of ???

Title edited by The Army.ca Staff

Going to make smarta** comment before mods jump in and bin this thread....

....wow, I cannot believe all this time I have been using issue sandbags, when I could have bought my own and looked REAL high-speed.

Interesting product...  just a couple of questions though'

1) How does it compare in price to the issued sandbags? (which are generally very very cheap... and effective).

2) Why would someone (specifically soldiers) want to buy their own sandbags if the military generally provides them... particularly when you least want them... for practice?

3) Why is this thread titled "Gear"?  This clearly isn't a thread about generic gear... it's about sandbags.

bb1 said:
Hi all new equipment out check it out
http://www.stormtec.net/
So what u think of ???

If you are peddling this item please contact the Site Administrator.

I can't see a military use for this item.

1. Not every place on this planet has large amounts of fresh water to fill these things, but there will always be sand or dirt to fill sandbags.

2. Sandbags can be filled much faster than these things can.

3. How do these things hold up to bullet strikes compaired to sandbags?

RHFC_piper said:
Interesting product...  just a couple of questions though'

1) How does it compare in price to the issued sandbags? (which are generally very very cheap... and effective).

2) Why would someone (specifically soldiers) want to buy their own sandbags if the military generally provides them... particularly when you least want them... for practice?

3) Why is this thread titled "Gear"?  This clearly isn't a thread about generic gear... it's about sandbags.

I checked out the site - $7 per unit or $340 for a box of 50.

::) Yeah. This is a great idea. Instead of hauling tons of shovels and dirt around, I get to haul a whole bunch of jerry cans full of water. And it only costs me more than what I'd make over the course of the exercise!

I'd rather use the water to drink, and just use the dirt I find on the ground.

HESCO is cheaper (at least I think it is), folds well, and only sucks to fill when you have to do it by hand. Otherwise, let the Badger do it in 10 seconds flat!

PuckChaser said:
HESCO is cheaper (at least I think it is), folds well, and only sucks to fill when you have to do it by hand. Otherwise, let the Badger do it in 10 seconds flat!

HESCO doesn't weigh 1 lb when it's empty, but sure can weigh 35 lb when full.

As well, standard sand bags are versatile, they can be filled with anything; sand, snow, rocks/pebbles, and brass casings... or just about anything else you want to carry or build with... They can even be used as effective covers for just about anything. 

421 EME said:
I can't see a military use for this item.

1. Not every place on this planet has large amounts of fresh water to fill these things, but there will always be sand or dirt to fill sandbags.

2. Sandbags can be filled much faster than these things can.

3. How do these things hold up to bullet strikes compared to sandbags?

Yet more relevant arguments.  You can find dirt and sand just about anywhere... and when you can't get down to dirt and sand, you can always use snow.

I agree with 421 EME; these Stormbags have no practical use in the military; they're not cost effective and they're not efficient based on weight and requirements. 

The only practical application I could envision for these is for floods... but, for the cost of 1 of these Stormbags, you could probably buy at least 20+ HESCO sand bags.

And I somehow don't see individual soldiers buying Stormbags; too expensive, too heavy, and as PuckChaser put it;
PuckChaser said:
I'd rather use the water to drink, and just use the dirt I find on the ground.

And again; why is this thread titled: Gear... why not title it Stormbag?  I will argue again that this is hardly "gear".

Thread title changed.

bb1, if you are a vendor, please contact the site owner, Mr. Mike Bobbitt at Army@army.ca in order to discuss advertising on this site and obtain permission.

The Army.ca Staff

They might be good for PT use, like weighted squats and thrusters etc.....

Only if you enjoy clutching a moist bag during PT.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

While not of any real value to our military, I think those bags would be a good thing for someone who lives in an occasionally flood area (like a hurricane effected area), where getting a whack of sand etc would not be practical if it floods quick.

Neat idea, wonder how well they work in comparison with the good ole "Bag C1A1, sand filled, manually hauled".

Prairie Dog said:
Neat idea, wonder how well they work in comparison with the good ole "Bag C1A1, sand filled, manually hauled".

You forgot the "Armstrong automatic filler Mk 1".    ;D

Why did I think of the Princess Bride after watching those videos?

Actually, there are probably a few hundred people in Chilliwack who wish they had these handy right now. I can see the obvious application in civilian flooding situations and for Domestic Ops e.g., Red River floods where they would be very useful. The wetter they get, the better they work - unlike the earth filled variety that can dissolve after awhile. You also don't need to find tons of dirt to fill them with.

I wonder how they 'stack up' to regular sandbags though re: protection from bullets? I doubt that the gel has the same stopping power as a 30lb sandbag full of good ol' mother earth (and rocks).

One application where they might work is arctic/ winter warfare. Ever tried to build snow/ice crete defenses? What a pain. If you can find a frozen stream, pond or lake you could chop a hole and throw a bunch of these things in for awhile, then place them on your defenses before they had a chance to fully freeze. An echelon might also be able to 'pre-soak' them and ship them forward. It's unfortunate that they only work in fresh water as this limits their flexibility for that type of use.

One problem: if we issue these to our troops (who think like I do) I can see them winding up in the toilets or something. In fact, I might buy a case and see how they work in my buddy's hot tub  ;D

Back