• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sailors with HMCS Charlottetown booted for failed drug tests

57Chevy

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
                              from The Guardian and shared with the provisions of The Copyright Act

Sailors with HMCS Charlottetown booted for failed drug tests
Postmedia News / May 14
http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/News/Local/2011-05-14/article-2505285/Sailors-with-HMCSCharlottetown-booted-for-failed-drug-tests/1

Eight Canadian sailors tested positive for illicit drugs and were booted off a naval vessel before it arrived in Libya as part of the military action in that country, the Canadian Forces said Friday.

All 235 crew members on HMCS Charlottetown were tested 48 hours before the vessel departed to be stationed near the conflict-stricken North African country.

Navy spokeswoman Lt. Heather McDonald said the sailors were dispatched from the ship at the first port of call en route to Libya and were immediately replaced.

"Eight sailors were removed from the ship and they'll undergo an administrative review on a case-by-case basis," McDonald said.

"Because the testing was done only 48 hours prior, the results weren't available until the ship was already out at sea, so at the first opportunity the sailors were replaced. It had no impact on operational readiness."

A ninth sailor also tested positive during the test, but the drugs discovered in that case were legally prescribed, so that sailor was allowed to continue to serve on the mission.

McDonald could not specify which drugs were flagged in the tests, but said all eight sailors were junior members of the Canadian Forces.

She said after a review, penalties could range from mandatory counselling and probation to discharge. McDonald said no criminal charges can stem from the findings of the mandatory screenings.

The percentage of drug infractions from the most recent deployment were down from the last two missions for Canadian naval ships.

In October 2009, a number of sailors aboard HMCS Fredericton, which patrolled off the Horn of Africa as part of a counterpiracy mission, failed the drug screening.

Earlier that year, in April, more infractions were discovered on HMCS Winnipeg, which was serving as a component of a NATO response force in the Atlantic Ocean and Mediterranean Sea.

McDonald said both those ships housed similar-sized crews, but 11 and 12 positive tests were discovered, although she could not specify which ship had more positive tests.

"The Canadian Forces has a 0 tolerance policy for drugs" Is something that recruiters make very obvious to all recruits and I'm sure personnel don't hear the end of it once there careers start till their careers end. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Exactly...IMHO, if the tests are showing zero doubt with both identity of drug and user...I'd say BOOOOT.!!!  I know I wouldn't want a co-worker hi during a critical task. We all know the rules....

Another thought: careful where you are if you are in the habit of leaving a drink unattended. Not all the places one goes are loaded with people who are cheerleaders for the furtherance of your career.

dinicthus said:
Another thought: careful where you are if you are in the habit of leaving a drink unattended. Not all the places one goes are loaded with people who are cheerleaders for the furtherance of your career.
Oh man, I've lost count of all the times I've bought drugs to slip into someone's drink, in the obscure hope they get picked for a random drug test before PER time.

::)

Yes, it's sarcasm

Nonetheless, germane to the discussion or not, leaving your drink unattended is bad practice.

canada94 said:
I'd like to know what drugs! Someone said something about them being high while doing duty, I sure hope not!

Rules are rules
\
Reread no one said they were high while under the influence....

canada94 said:
I'd like to know what drugs! Someone said something about them being high while doing duty, I sure hope not!

Rules are rules

Nobody said they were high while being on duty.  People said they didn't want to worry about working with people who may be high.

Someone said

"I wouldn't want anyone "hi" doing a critical task", and I agree.

That is what I meant by what I stated. Just as I wouldn't want anyone to be drunk doing something important.

krustyrl said:
Exactly...IMHO, if the tests are showing zero doubt with both identity of drug and user...I'd say BOOOOT.!!!  I know I wouldn't want a co-worker hi during a critical task. We all know the rules....

Canada94 above is the text you were thinking of.....in your post you said "Someone said something about them being high while doing duty, I sure hope not!" them being the drug using sailors from the Charlottetown. You must be careful with what you post as you had these guys guilty of something they may not have done....

Your right. I will re-write it and take away my unfair comment.

Thank you

Journeyman said:
Oh man, I've lost count of all the times I've bought drugs to slip into someone's drink, in the obscure hope they get picked for a random drug test before PER time.

Yes, it's sarcasm

I thought the Navy was starting to slip other things into peoples drinks.

Grimaldus said:
I thought the Navy was starting to slip other things into peoples drinks.
Only temporarily before pulling them out.

At least he pulled out. Not as safe as wrapping it up, but then wrapping it up would defeat his purpose.

Funny, we left on 26 hours notice, but apparently got tested 48 hours prior to departure....somehow those numbers just don't compute for me. 

Ah well, it's not like the media actually does their research properly anyhow...

NS

NavyShooter said:
Funny, we left on 26 hours notice, but apparently got tested 48 hours prior to departure....somehow those numbers just don't compute for me. 

Ah well, it's not like the media actually does their research properly anyhow...

NS

What, and ruin a good story?

Back