• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

S Baker- I Guess Not Just Canadian Hockey Fans Are Low Class

Bruce Monkhouse

Pinball Dude
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/5607008
Fans' jeers drown out 'O, Canada'
Associated Press

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) - San Jose Sharks fans loudly booed the Canadian national anthem Sunday night before Game 5 of their team's second-round playoff series with the Edmonton Oilers.

The vociferous booing started from the opening notes of singer Annmarie Martin's rendition of "O Canada." While other fans attempted to drown it out by singing along, the boos were audible until the final notes.
Pregame anthem booing was a hot-button issue in sports shortly after the beginning of the war in Iraq, with fans in Chicago's Wrigley Field, Montreal's Bell Centre and other arenas booing their neighbors' anthem from 2002-04.

There was no apparent political motive for the booing in San Jose - just a questionable expression of the fans' dislike of the Oilers, who won the last two games in Edmonton to tie the series at two games apiece.

The Shark Tank fans didn't boo "O Canada" before the first two games, and fans in Edmonton didn't boo "The Star-Spangled Banner" last week.

The NHL site says that apparently the "Star-Spangled Banner" was booed in game 4.  Pretty low-class for anyone doing that, IMHO.

S_Baker said:
Hey thanks for the Headliner  ;)  Bruce you are going to have to come over to my house and help me raise the colors (Union Jack) on 4th of July.  I do so out of respect for my brothers and sisters (I also fly the 13 star Betsy Ross flag too)

Would you like a Red Ensign for July 01?  ;D

Sherwood,
You got beer[real beer that is ;)], I got car.........

I  have  liked Hockey pretty much sense I was  in elementry school and the one thing  that I have always hated is when you here about some one booing some one else national anthem .  I just think that its very disrespectfull to do something like just my two cents worth

Notes: Edmonton fans put the great anthem flap to bed with a 100-plus decibel explosion of love. The fans had been asked to be on their best behaviour after some San Jose fans booed the Canadian anthem in Game 5. They responded by cheering the Star-Spangled Banner so loudly, they drowned out singer Paul Lorieau.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Games/2006/05/17/1585241-cp.html

have I mentioned how happy I am to be home?

People shake your hand in uniform, instead of hitting you.
People have enough self-respect to pay proper respect to other nations...

I love this province.

And this "beer" you speak of...

No riots last night.  20,000 happy fans and very few arrests.  Some girls felt it was thier responsibility to show off the goods though... :o

Gunner said:
Some girls felt it was thier responsibility to show off the goods though... :o

And that is bad, why? (Unless they were fat/ugly/both, of course)

Gunner said:
Inappropriate...

I agree....

it is totally inappropriate for the girls Fred described to show the "goods"  ;D

What about the crowd surfing shopping cart with girls in it and the fireworks. ;D

Back