• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP Application Process for a Canadian Who Lived in the US

Bradford_Maxwell

Inactive
Reaction score
Last year, as soon as the applications for ROTP opened I applied and got contact fairly quickly, then just handed them files and information about me they asked for as soon as possible. Eventually, once I had given my high school transcript and my SAT scores, I thought it would be smooth sailing from there. To my great surprise, there was more.

I'm actually a Canadian born citizen living in the United States and I was finishing up high school at the time. I have no US Citizenship, only a temporary visa which expires in less than a year from now.

I needed an FBI background check in order to continue and do the pre-assessment. I thought, okay, perfect. Easy! I send out my fingerprints and expect them to be there by late December. I checked the FBI website about a month later and it turns out there was a delay in processing for about 3-4 months. By the time I actually received my background check and contacted the recruiter, it was basically far too late in the processing for me to actually get everything done. I was rather disappointed and moderately annoyed that I couldn't get enough information on what I needed despite several visits to the CFRC and a lot of calls to them asking about what I will need from the US. Although its still my fault I couldn't get the information myself. Last week, when thinking about what I need for reapplying during my first year at the University of Victoria, I came across a document.

http://cdn.forces.ca/_PDF2010/CF_ApplicationProcedure.pdf

I would really like to know if there is a more up-to-date version of this as it has some really important information which if holds true today would really have changed the way my application had concluded.

I took a screenshot of the specific area of my concern. It is under the reliability screening portion of the PDF if the link doesn't work for any reason.
http://puu.sh/ixFvr/e2a6c1d420.png

Does this essentially mean I never had to do this FBI background check? In my situation, I was living in the United States going to High School, I'm still a Canadian Citizen, and I was also accompanying my parents.
I still have my FBI background check in case it is still needed for when I try again. Oh, and there's no criminal history either.

If a recruiter could look in to this and maybe enlighten me on if this is correct or incorrect I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Good day Bradford_Maxwell,

The information within the PDF file for the link that you have provided is outdated information, for the current information reference Step 6 at the following link: http://www.forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100

If you have ever lived outside Canada or have an immediate family member who currently lives outside Canada: You will be asked to fill out the “Pre-Enrolment Security Clearance Pre-Assessment Questionnaire”.  You should be prepared to provide adequate, verifiable information for the last 10 years. This information is used to determine if a Security Clearance Pre-Assessment is required, especially if you:

have dual citizenship
if you lived, worked, studied or travelled outside of Canada in the last 10 years for a total of at least 180 days
if you have a child, parent, step-parent, spouse, in-laws, brother or sister (half & step) living outside of Canada
If a Clearance Pre-Assessment is required, it can take between 6 to 18 months to complete.

Once you submit your application this fall ensure that you maintain contact with your local recruiting centre in accordance with the "I submitted my application whats next??" post

Also I would recommend that you follow the CAF Recruiting Twitter feed at https://twitter.com/ForcesJobs to know when you will be able to submit your application for this paid education entry plan this fall.

There are other posts on this form with detailed information for Canadian Citizens applying to join who have non-Canadian education. 

Back