• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RMC with fiance and baby??

usually you sign up for ROTP , and they give you an offer ( civi-u , RMC , CMR ) .... then you decide , you might be able to speak with a recruiter and try to push more on the Civi-u .... but first and foremost , you have to be in the ROTP program

When you apply (at least, as of a couple of years ago), you list your preferred institutions to study at.  Year to year, people aren't quite sure why their offers are for Civ U, RMC, or CMR except that often, students who are nearer degree completion will stay on at their school of choice, or those who require degree programs which aren't offered at RMC will go to a school which offers it (nursing, for example).

If your fiance wants to be a nursing officer, than he could only go to Civ U- RMC isn't even an option!

There's no harm in applying and asking for Civ U and explaining the family implications.  If/when he receives an offer, he can decide where to go from there.  If it's for Civ U, then your in the clear.  If its for RMC, then you can request to switch it over for a Civ U, but who knows what the odds are?

There's no harm in trying. 

Good luck with whatever path you take; I hope everything works out for you and your family.

EDIT to add: It goes without saying that a Civ U offer would be conditional on the applicant being accepted to a Civ U, which they would apply for independent of the CF application process.

At this point he won't be able to apply until the fall and wouldn't be able to attend until next summer. Do you think it would be beneficial (in getting accepted into the ROTP program) for him to join the reserves?
Also would they look at his high school grades? He is currently doing a college program but it is a certificate program so I am wondering if they will look at his college grades or high school grades?

KellyB said:
At this point he won't be able to apply until the fall and wouldn't be able to attend until next summer.

Yup, there is always a "catch" to questions like this......    :facepalm:

PS - they will look at "all" the gradings provided

DAA said:
Yup, there is always a "catch" to questions like this......    :facepalm:

More of an obvious statement as opposed to a catch, considering it's almost April and he's just "thinking" about attending.  :P

SeR said:
More of an obvious statement as opposed to a catch, considering it's almost April and he's just "thinking" about attending.  :P

Rats, I missed that point entirely.....  I guess I am just so accustomed to instances where suddenly the "shoe" drops....  :)

Yes completely just thinking about it at this point as he has missed the January cutoff for applications.

We have been talking it over tonight and I think he is going to the recruiters on Friday as he now really would like to apply for a full time reserves position as the starting salary is just a little more than he's making now. Then he can find out if the military is for him and he could apply for RMC at a later time. My understanding is you get paid more during RMC this way - anyone know if this is true? Just trying to explore ALL options!

Sorry but you don't apply for a full time reserves position.  He wouldn't be qualified to do anything and, to be honest, full time reserve work is becoming hard to come by, positions being cut, etc.

But definitely go see the CFRC staff.  Good luck!

KellyB said:
Yes completely just thinking about it at this point as he has missed the January cutoff for applications.

We have been talking it over tonight and I think he is going to the recruiters on Friday as he now really would like to apply for a full time reserves position as the starting salary is just a little more than he's making now. Then he can find out if the military is for him and he could apply for RMC at a later time. My understanding is you get paid more during RMC this way - anyone know if this is true? Just trying to explore ALL options!

No dice. I am a full time reservist, and it took years before I had enough to offer to be of any use full time- and my job disappears in a few more days anyway. A new reservist will typically almost never get hired on full time duties, with rare exceptions. DO NOT plan your life around income form the reserves, as it's always very tenuous at best.

KellyB said:

There is no "cutoff".  Where did you hear that there was a cutoff?

DAA said:
There is no "cutoff".  Where did you hear that there was a cutoff?

How is there no cutoff for commencement in the 2013/14 academic year? I can't see how there wouldn't be.

So you can't join the forces for a couple years and then go the ROTP/RMC route? If I go to the forces.ca website and  browse jobs theres Airborne Electronic Sensor Operator and there is a star next to it saying it is in demand. All you need is high school. Would that not be a possibility at all? The starting pay is $33,000/year.

For the best answer, CFRCs would have the most accurate info.  Not much of a help right now, but AES Op is a fairly competitive trade and the trade is relatively healthy.  There may be some positions for direct entry opening up in April but I am not certain.  CFRCs would know.

Also, he would be 'away' for BMQ and the training to Wings in Winnipeg, and some other required, but shorter, courses.  You could count on 1 - 1.5 years to get to the point he was posted and you could go with him.

Great trade though!!!!!  ;D

KellyB said:
So you can't join the forces for a couple years and then go the ROTP/RMC route?

Yes it's possible but it's very unlikely and certainly will take longer than a couple of years. If you think ROTP is competitive, in-service commissioning is more so. It takes 3-4 years before even becoming eligible to apply, after which you are up against people with more years of service and experience all competing for very, very few slots (low single digits per occupation). The extremely slim likelihood of this happening is a terrible reason to join as an NCM.

It took me three applications and almost 9 years of service to be successful.

As the way I looked at joining the reserves, it's a supplement to your income.  The Airforce does do things slightly different as you can work a maximum 14 days Class A.  This would mean that he is paid up to 14 days at about 85% of the regular force pay scale(which is all on forces.ca).  The days may not be his choice and he may not have the option of working all 14, but there would be a minimum of 5.  There were no options for Class B(full time here) nor class A(deployed) when I was with my unit and they were few and far between as it was for skilled trades. This is my experience from 2009, your experience may vary.

My decision to join RegF was not a simple task, I will be making less for the first 2-3 years but then the experience and wage increases substantially over what my current career would allow for.

There are pros and cons to every career choice and weighing the good and the bad in an objective way will lead to the best reasonable outcome.  It my case I actually applied before telling my wife, but she wasn't surprised when I told her I had.  Its been something I've wanted since I was in High school and University. 

It will be hard on you, and your family unit.  Don't think it won't be or that you are stronger then those serving now. 

I'll ask you this question and it's rhetorical so no need to answer just food for thought:

Do you think that if you said "no" to you fiance about him wanting to join the CF he would over a bit of time start to resent that decision?

Just food for thought.

KellyB said:
If I go to the forces.ca website and  browse jobs theres Airborne Electronic Sensor Operator and there is a star next to it saying it is in demand.

Yes, for Regular Force applicants. Your previous post mentioned "full time reserves position", to which people correctly replied that these required useful experience and were hard to get, and the number of such positions have been drastically cut. I do not know if there are any Reserve AESOPs, but I rather doubt that that occupation is open to off-the-street Reserve applicants.

KellyB said:
All you need is high school.

Minimum requirements for enrollment do not equal "all you need". Most occupations are very competitive. Those with the minimum requirements get pushed aside by those with more education or other attractive attributes pertinent to their desired occupation (like useful experience or ability in an in-demand language - not looks, etcetera).

Loachman said:
I do not know if there are any Reserve AESOPs, but I rather doubt that that occupation is open to off-the-street Reserve applicants.

There are some, not many, but they are ex-Reg Force who went to the ARAF world.  There are some CT/OT folks from the PRes world in the trade now from recent years when it opened up to CFRC/CT applicants.  I've no idea if they are still taking Direct Entry (CFRC) applicants, CTs or just Reg Force remusters this FY (can't seem to find the FY 13/14 SIP and not sure the one on the Basic Prod Doc's site is current, the #s look the exact same as for last year).

After all my researched I've decided to let him go ahead with his decision.

What are his other options?

If he sat down with a recruiter and said he wanted to join the forces what would then happen? I know he has to apply and go through testing but how long would all of that take? How long until he went for basic training? What kind of salary would he start at? And does he get paid during training?
Would this route ever take him to the level that going the ROTP route would get him to and how much slower if so?

SeaKingTacco said:
There may be other, better ways for him to join the CF and accomplish his goals.  See a recruiter.

What would these other ways be?

KellyB said:
If he sat down with a recruiter and said he wanted to join the forces what would then happen? I know he has to apply and go through testing but how long would all of that take? How long until he went for basic training? What kind of salary would he start at? And does he get paid during training?
Would this route ever take him to the level that going the ROTP route would get him to and how much slower if so?

Your boyfriend needs to start doing some research on his own;  if he is serious about this he should pick up the phone and/or visit the CFRC and Reserve unit(s) he is interested in.  I'm pretty sure you can find all of the answers on the forces.gc.ca website,  RMC website and the various Reserve unit websites.  As well as talking to the recruiters.

There is no standard time frame for application to enrollment, to BMQ/BMOQ.  It varies.

Salary of Private(Recruit) and Officer Cadet,  Reserve and Regular Force, etc can be found here
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/payscales-131
(easily found through google search or visiting the recruiting website)

Yes,  you are paid during training, etc  As a Reservist you are paid every time you show up for a parade night, course, etc.  Regular Force you start getting paid on the day you fly out for training - usually there is a period of LWOP after enrolling until you leave for training.  Once you start getting paid as a Regular Force member you are paid until the end of your retirement leave on release, ie you are paid every day until you are out of the Military,  including weekends and leave.

Back