• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rex Murphy: Pushed or did he jump?

a_majoor

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
Yet another reason to read the Post!

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:TiEuqxSh8aMJ:www.mediastyle.ca/2010/01/rex-murphy-pushed-to-the-post/+rex+murphy+post&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

09 Jan Rex Murphy pushed to the Post

The National Post has welcomed with open arms a public broadcaster and former marquee Globe & Mail columnist apparently smarting from being pushed out of his coveted Saturday spot.

Rex Murphy’s official debut in the Post was today. It looks like it was a foray into the right-leaning opinion pages that finally landed him in hot water with the new Globe management. The Cross Country Checkup host – and long-time CBC host and pundit – penned an A-section screed for the Financial Post, December 5th, on climate change.

Why isn’t Rex Murphy with the Globe?
It seems the article was only what “got the ball rolling” in the words of one insider. Less than commentary in a rival paper; several sources have suggested Globe and Mail Editor in Chief John Stackhouse was simply unimpressed with the increasingly esoteric opinions of this elder-statesman of Canadian opinion. One example widely cited is this CBC appearance (subsequently praised by Terrance Corcoran of the Post.)

So, “climate change denial” is widely rumored to have been the last straw. Perhaps sensing the loquacious Newfoundlander would prompt unneeded bad PR if sacked; I’m told Stackhouse offered to move him to Mondays. As evidenced by the quick decampment to the National Post, it seems that went over like a tonne of bricks with Murphy.

The move was announced this past Thursday by Peter Mansbridge on CBC’s the National, where Murphy still resides as one of the few opinion columnists left on television.

Editor of the Vancouver alternative weekly the Georgia Straight, Charlie Smith is pleased with the move.

“I don’t know if Murphy jumped or if he was pushed by Stackhouse. Regardless, I’m looking forward to picking up a Saturday Globe and Mail without one of Murphy’s typically ill-informed attacks on climate-change scientists.”

Well it looks as if the answer is: Rex Murphy was pushed a little and jumped.

I sent Rex a congratulatory email after his climategate rant on CBC.  I wondered how he got away with it as there were more Liberals at CBC than at a Tamil Tigers fundraiser.  Alas, no reply!

Back