• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Retention Issues

Franko said:
Armour have been doing their job from the begining...where do you think all the Int on things come from? From Armour Recce as well as Recce plt.

We all get to do our job whilst in theater...just you guys get more "bang for your buck" as it were    ;)

Regards

Franko,

Chimo! to that.  ;)

Regards,

S6.

I have to wade in here. First of all we all are one army one fight. I think we need to look at who, where and when we employ our Sappers. I do not accept the argument that if you post me I will get out...then get out and we will move someone else into your rank level. Perhaps a bit harsh but, the idea is getting the best Sapper in the right job for their skill sets.

Which leads me to my second point...I personally believe we should be only sending our very best to CFSME. Those newly promoted hard charging NCOs that have operational experience and are true believers in the Engineers. With that I think we need to have a few caveats...ie, you will do a fixed term at CFSME, ie 3 years, if your performance is outstanding then you should be posted out, preferably to the Operational Regiment of your choice, so that you may continue to pass on that experience that you have garnered from CFSME as you get your Sappers ready to go into the fight.

I don't  know if this is feasible or if there is a will in the senior leadership to do it. I have always heard the biggest counter argument to this is the amount of posting dollars available. I think CFSME is producing good Sappers now but it would give an operational pause and perhaps a bit of a rest to our senior NCOs and rotate soldiers back into the mix again.

I also think we should encourage our SNCOs to work in Extra Regimental Employment Positions. This usually provides a different sort of challenge to our SNCOs and helps to round out their professional development. Again, time lines need to be attached so that they don't feel they are being farmed out forever.

Although I mentions a Regiment of their choice would be ideal, that may not be realistic. I have been posted to several Regiments each has strengths and weakness but the biggest deciding factor is the personalities of the leadership running the Unit at the time.

Finally we simple need more soldiers in the Regiments. This idea of two Fd Sqns supporting 3 BGs just ain't cutting it and is taking a toll on all of our soldiers.

As far as treating our soldiers like shyte...i whole heartily disagree. If a soldier has a grievance about how they are being treated he or she should have the morale courage to deal with it through the Chain of Command. I doubt everyone in the C of C is treating Sapper Bloggins like a bag of shyte. :salute:

Journeyman said:
Ya...we love you big lugs too. It's like brothers - - always scrapping...until someone else foolishly gets in between. 

Journeyman,

I think if you look real deep...real deep.  You will see that there is a bit of Sapper blood in your veins too, that is before it got clouded over with all that SAR-Tech hoo-haw stuff!  ;)

Chimo!

Sapper 6

Sapper6 said:
You will see that there is a bit of Sapper blood in your veins too, that is before it got clouded over with all that SAR-Tech hoo-haw stuff!  ;)

Obviously you have me at a disadvantage, profile-wise. But yes, I have indeed gazed upon Vedder Mountain in my youth. (and then again during OCS....)

Back