• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Res. O. needs a year of university?

ghyslyn

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey, I've searched the forums, recruiting site and otherwise, and well here's the deal. In December I was half-way through my first year of university, I made an application for reserve infantry officer. Got the call last week, scheduled my interview, medical and CFAT for next week. I called again today and after asking questions about my university transcript I was told that apparently I need to have completed a full year of university to become a reservist officer. As a result, we cancelled my appointments so I could take them again in May(after school year), which could potentially cost me the chance of training this summer.

Anyone have any info on this? I haven't been able to find anything anywhere.

If that's what the recruiting centre told you...what info are you looking for here?

If anyone else has had a similar situation, or any more information on the subject, as well as any idea as to why I was only informed of it later, rather then earlier in the application process.

Fair enough, but I don't think there's any additional information other than "you'll have to wait." Sorry I can't be of more help. Interesting that Res needs a year of university and Reg does not.

benny88 said:
Fair enough, but I don't think there's any additional information other than "you'll have to wait." Sorry I can't be of more help. Interesting that Res needs a year of university and Reg does not.

Yea that was one of the main reasons as to the fact that I'm inquiring so much.

Wait a minute here,

Are you telling me that you are not allowed to be part of the reserves, due to the fact you are currently enrolled in a first year University course (Meaning that you want to take a commission) and you filled out this questionnaire with no objections;

http://64.254.158.112/pdf/ROTP_quest_en.pdf

This is after you passed all of the other testing (Medical, Physicall, security etc).

I just want to get my cards straight before I answer.

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
Wait a minute here,

Are you telling me that you are not allowed to be part of the reserves, due to the fact you are currently enrolled in a first year University course (Meaning that you want to take a commission) and you filled out this questionnaire with no objections;

http://64.254.158.112/pdf/ROTP_quest_en.pdf

This is after you passed all of the other testing (Medical, Physicall, security etc).

I just want to get my cards straight before I answer.

dileas

tess

No actually, all that I've signed to date is the first application papers(those you can get when making an online application). After which I was called scheduling an interview, medical test and CFAT, which was for next wednesday, but which has been postponed when the corporal i spoke to found out more details about what i need to apply for the position.

Now is actually the first time I've seen the questionnaire you've posted.

ghyslyn said:
No actually, all that I've signed to date is the first application papers(those you can get when making an online application). After which I was called scheduling an interview, medical test and CFAT, which was for next wednesday, but which has been postponed when the corporal i spoke to found out more details about what i need to apply for the position.

Now is actually the first time I've seen the questionnaire you've posted.

So to answer this question;

ghyslyn said:
If anyone else has had a similar situation, or any more information on the subject, as well as any idea as to why I was only informed of it later, rather then earlier in the application process.

How much sooner do you need to be told?

You were informed at the earliest possible point.  So in essence, you were confused, in thinking you would make it out this summer, and you were correctly informed that that was not the case as you did not meet the requirements.

I see nothing wrong with what recruiting did.

dileas

tess

Beside talking to CFRC, have you at ANYTIME spoken with the unit you wanted to apply to? They really have the ultimate say in Officers.

Ghyslyn,

You are right to question the information you're getting from the recruiting centre - you are being misadvised by whoever you spoke to. There is no RESO policy stating that applicants need a year of university before being considered for officer positions (48th - the form you posted is for RETP entry to study at RMC, not RESO entry to a reserve unit).

Now, the unit you are applying to does have some control over who they accept as officers and does submit a recommendation to the BPSO based on their evaluation of you - usually following an interview. If they have said that they will only accept applicants with a year of university, that may be the problem. However, it would probably not be the CFRC telling you this and I've never heard of a reserve unit doing this sort of thing.

My advice - get in touch with the full-time recruiter of the unit you are applying to join and get the 411 from them. CFRCs deal with a lot of applicants to a lot of different programs with different application criteria, and also suffer a high personnel turnover rate. The unit itself will be able to tell you what's going on and interface with the CFRC on your behalf if there's been a goof-up.

Cheers hamiltongs,

I guess with all the new acronyms, as I stated earlier, I was confused by his post.

So he is correct in the fact that he can still attend this summer's training?

dileas

tess

So he is correct in the fact that he can still attend this summer's training?

Should be - the only thing that would prevent it would be an administrative delay (like this).

I think the mistake that's been made is that whoever he was speaking to at the CFRC was thinking of the DEO entry plan for people with at least two years of university (and usually a degree). The RESO entry criteria allow people who have just been accepted to university and not even attended class yet.

hamiltongs said:
Should be - the only thing that would prevent it would be an administrative delay (like this).

I think the mistake that's been made is that whoever he was speaking to at the CFRC was thinking of the DEO entry plan for people with at least two years of university (and usually a degree). The RESO entry criteria allow people who have just been accepted to university and not even attended class yet.

Thanks for correcting me, and helping ghyslyn.

I hope I haven't further delayed anything for you ghyslyn, only thing I can add is follow hamiltongs soonest, as it is sound advice

dileas

tess

Thank you very much for the tips hamiltongs, I actually(stupid of me) haven't considered calling the recruiter again, I'll do so tomorrow hopefully things will work out.

The way I was informed that I needed a year of university is that I was required to bring a university transcript to my interview next wednesday(now cancelled), but when I realised I only had one course on the transcript(the rest of my courses complete in april) I called the corporal who had scheduled my interview to ask about this, he was unsure and after checking into it for a couple of minutes told me I need a minimum of a year of university and recommended(not required) that I cancel my interview and reschedule it in May, he said this would bring me a "competitive advantage". So now I wonder if it's still possible to do interview, medical, CFA test etc. soon rather then after april, if it would be better or worse then doing so in May.

ghyslyn said:
So now I wonder if it's still possible to do interview, medical, CFA test etc. soon rather then after april, if it would be better or worse then doing so in May.

Your competitive advantage will be how you perform in your interview; grades are reviewed only to make sure you're not failing out of university. I would recommend pressing ahead with the application process. The worst that can happen is that you'll be passed over and can still apply again next year once you have the transcripts in hand.

Good luck.

hamiltongs said:
Ghyslyn,

You are right to question the information you're getting from the recruiting centre - you are being misadvised by whoever you spoke to. There is no RESO policy stating that applicants need a year of university before being considered for officer positions (48th - the form you posted is for RETP entry to study at RMC, not RESO entry to a reserve unit).

Careful about who is not providing the right advice to who.  To be eligible for the RESO program a person must be enrolled at a post secondary educational institution in a degree/diploma leaving program with a minimum two years remaining until graduation.

Otherwise the unit can enroll him as under OCTP (reserve).

Crantor said:
Careful about who is not providing the right advice to who.  To be eligible for the RESO program a person must be enrolled at a post secondary educational institution in a degree/diploma leaving program with a minimum two years remaining until graduation.

Otherwise the unit can enroll him as under OCTP (reserve).

...and he was being told that he needed at least a year of university under his belt before applying to RESO.

And you proceeded to give him more erroneous information.  According to him he was told that a year under his belt would make him more competitive, not that he couldn't apply.

All I'm saying is that make sure you don't compound the wrong info with more wrong info.

Cheers

Note to Directing Staff - feel free to lock this thread. I don't see it going anywhere productive from here.

Back