• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Require Advice choosing my 3 Officer Jobs on Application?

• Thread starter Thread starter Cas
  • Start date Start date

Cas

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello.  I ask these questions because the Recruitment Centre has no answers and I don't know anyone in the CF.  My intention is not to waste readers’ time.  So thank you for your valued input.

I am looking at these 3 Jobs:
A.  Air Navigation Officer
B.  Military Police (Officer)
C.  Intelligence Officer

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1.  I am looking for “Pros & Cons”.
2.  Which job/jobs are in highest demand right now?
3.  How much room do I have to negotiate the job I accept?

Thank you again.

Craig
:cdn:

Cas said:
3.  How much room do I have to negotiate the job I accept?

Between little and none.

Selection boards occur roughly at the same time, and they decide who they want to send offers to.  These offers go out at roughly the same time, so an individual who declines an offer in favour of another could potentially face a long wait.  There are a few stories of people making a second-round selection, but why risk it?

Pick three trades you would equally, gladly take.  They're not first/second/third choices -- they're all first choice.  If you don't want to take any of the jobs, don't waste anyone's time (including your own) by putting it down.

Thank you for your input. 

Do you have any idea if one or more of these jobs are in high need of applicants?

Rgds,

C.

MPO doesn't take a lot of people, usually.  Air Nav is middle-of-the-road.  As for Int O, there's a (recruiting numbers) difference between Reg Force and Reserve Int Os....from what I recall, Reg Force is pretty low while Reserve (Naval) Int Os generally have a pretty good stream of people getting accepted.

Not really on the NavRes Int O numbers. They are position dependent on the manning and org charts of the Ship in question. They don't have that many spaces, there are more MARS spaces then Int. Once they're filled, they are filled until members leave, or the Ships's reuirement for the Int Cell increases. Either way, number are extremely limited.

"Pros and cons" is a matter of individual taste - you're essentially asking us to pick for you depending upon what we would like. For me, out of your three, it would be C, B, and lastly A, with big gaps between them and a huge gap between the leading contender and what I am now.

On top of that, things vary from posting to posting - different locations, different operational environments, different positions.

Tying your choice to available vacancies is largely meaningless too as you cannot predict or know the number of applicants for each.

You state three choices on the form. See what they come back with

All good points.  Guess I'll just submit the application, wait for an offer and not put any more thought into it.  Cheers.

Aren't most Int O selected from the Officer Occupational Transfer Program (OT), University Training Plan Non-Commissioned Members (UTPNCM), Special Commissioning Plan (SCP), and Commissioning from the Ranks (CFR). ???

You could always try what I did: find out what trade you know you want, and put only that.

Dariusz said:
Aren't most Int O selected from the Officer Occupational Transfer Program (OT), University Training Plan Non-Commissioned Members (UTPNCM), Special Commissioning Plan (SCP), and Commissioning from the Ranks (CFR). ???

No.

Lumber said:
You could always try what I did: find out what trade you know you want, and put only that.

They probably don't see a whole lot of MARS only applications like yours too often.  ;)

boot12 said:
They probably don't see a whole lot of MARS only applications like yours too often.  ;)

What?! You're kidding! Aren't most applications for MARS only? And then the people who aren't up to caliber get offered Infantry, Pilot, Combat Eng, etc? I was sure this was the way the world worked...

Not up to calibre?

That would be this Aviator, most assuredly.

Out of the three parts of the MARS selection I only passed one and refused to participate in the other two.

The rum was fine, but sodomy and the lash were not for me.

Loachman said:
Not up to calibre?

That would be this Aviator, most assuredly.

Out of the three parts of the MARS selection I only passed one and refused to participate in the other two.

The rum was fine, but sodomy and the lash were not for me.

You say that now, but you may change......  ;D

You could not get me drunk enough, so don't get yer hopes up too high.

Any idea if they will actually process an application w/ only 2 job preferences?

Cas said:
Any idea if they will actually process an application w/ only 2 job preferences?

Yes, they will.  I only had two on mine and I managed to get through.  The worst thing you can do is put down a trade that you won't be happy doing every day for a long time.  If only two trades satisfy you, then go with that.

As an Army INT Officer, would you in Afghanistan for most of your career?

Cas said:

I put the same thing in each blank when I filled out the form in December of last year: "Pilot", "Pilot", and "Pilot" and that worked just fine.

Cas said:
As an Army INT Officer, would you in Afghanistan for most of your career?

Unless one's career is cut tragically short, no.

Back