• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Remembrance

Edward Campbell

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
We have a number of Remembrance Day threads, some going back to 2001 or 2004, but none deal with this issue so:

The newspapers and the radio and even the TV, which is usually there to satisfy our need for instant gratification, are talking all this week about Remembrance. Over and over again they speak of “lives lost.”

The lives were not “lost” they were sacrificed. First, they were lived, so briefly and oh so brightly, and then they were offered up as a holocaust - a burnt offering (ὁλόκαυστος) which was used for only the most important of all sacrifices - but not as a sacrifice to gods but rather as an offering to friends and to sons and lovers.

We take our words of remembrance from two sources:

• Lawrence Binyon’s For The Fallen wherein we find the words that are, now, our Act of Remembrance:

They shall grow not old,  as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.*
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

• Ecclesiasticus – especially

All these were honoured in their generations, and were the glory of their times. Ecclesiasticus 44:7

Their name liveth for evermore Ecclesiasticus 44:14

There is another bit of Ecclesiasticus we might want to consider:

And some there be, which have no memorial; who are perished, as though they had never been; and are become as though they had never been born; and their children after them [but] their glory shall not be blotted out. Ecclesiasticus 44:9 7 13

As we approach 11 November we should think about a few things.

1. This is not Veterans’ Day. Veterans started this day of Remembrance because, I think they looked at themselves and realized that they were not the “greatest generation.” The greatest were those who had made the supreme sacrifice. The veterans understood that their dead comrades could not be a “lost generation” – they had to be remembered, they had to be “honoured in their generations.”

Veterans don’t need remembrance – they provide, for family and friends and neighbours, a constant affirmation of their service to mankind and their country and to their community and their family and, above all, to their comrades in arms.

2. We do not need big ceremonies. The focus of Remembrance day is remembrance not ceremony. The cenotaphs are there as every-day reminders, but on 11 Nov you do not need to go. It is sufficient to stop – just for seconds if that’s all time you have – and to “remember” and recite just the shortest of the words of remembrance – “their name liveth for evermore.”

3. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Ottawa is not just to remember unknowns – it represents  all those who have or will die in battle but, especially, those with no known grave.

4. Remembrance Day isn’t about war, it is about selfless sacrifice. No one should care what the national commentariat, which now includes Rick Hillier, thinks about war or the politics of war. The only really important person at the big, national ceremony is the Silver Cross Mother – the GG and PM and CDS are just bit players in supporting roles. She lays a wreath for us all. Croesus, King of Lydia, is reputed to have said: ” In peace the sons bury their fathers, but in war the fathers bury their sons. “ The mothers and fathers of those who have sacrificed all deserve a special place in our heart sand minds.

5. In Flanders Fields is not about Remembrance. It is a challenge to carry the torch to victory. It is, probably, appropriate it recite it to Prime Minister Harper because the “dead” of 1915 are telling us all that they will not rest if we do not do our duty. If you want Remembrance poetry try:

owen.jpg

Wilfred Owen

ANTHEM FOR DOOMED YOUTH

What passing-bells for these who die as cattle? 
Only the monstrous anger of the guns. 
Only the stuttering rifles' rapid rattle 
Can patter out their hasty orisons.
No mockeries now for them; no prayers nor bells; 
Nor any voice of mourning save the choirs, –
The shrill, demented choirs of wailing shells; 
And bugles calling for them from sad shires.
What candles may be held to speed them all? 
Not in the hands of boys but in their eyes 
Shall shine the holy glimmers of goodbyes. 
The pallor of girls' brows shall be their pall; 
Their flowers the tenderness of patient minds, 
And each slow dusk a drawing-down of blinds.

September - October, 1917

(Passing bells are those tolled at funerals – to announce those who have passed. Orisons are funeral prayers.)

Or

sassoon.jpg

Siegfried Sassoon

Base Details

IF I were fierce, and bald, and short of breath,
  I’d live with scarlet Majors at the Base,
And speed glum heroes up the line to death.
  You’d see me with my puffy petulant face,
Guzzling and gulping in the best hotel,
  Reading the Roll of Honour. ‘Poor young chap,’
I’d say—‘I used to know his father well;
  Yes, we’ve lost heavily in this last scrap.’
And when the war is done and youth stone dead,
I’d toddle safely home and die—in bed.

Or if you are of a romantic mind,

Brooke.jpeg

Rupert Brook

The Soldier

If I should die, think only this of me:
  That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England. There shall be
  In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,
  Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam,
A body of England's, breathing English air,
  Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.

And think, this heart, all evil shed away,
  A pulse in the eternal mind, no less
Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;
  Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;
And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,
  In hearts at peace, under an English heaven.

But you do not anything to remember except a human understanding of sacrifice and, perhaps, a bit of gratitude for it.

--------------------
* We, mostly use the word condemn which means (Oxford) ”sentence to a punishment, especially death” or ”force (someone) to endure something unpleasant”. Binyon wrote contemn which means treat or regard with disdain. Contemn, in our day, is largely a literary device. The two words are similar but not exact matches and Binyon’s choice is good. Death is not a punishment, is just the end of our lives as we understand them. What Binyon wanted to say was that the lives that were sacrificed would never be treated or regarded with disdain – they would always be the “best” lives ever lived.

Mr. Campbell, thank you for that extremely poignant post.

Not to detract from ERC's wonderful post, why we must rememmber:

http://www.erskine.org.uk/news/general-news/

Astonishing Survey Results Leads To New Charity Partnership

School children believe Adolf Hitler was coach to Germany’s national football team and that the symbol of Remembrance Day is the McDonalds Golden Arches, according to new research released today Thursday 5th November.

The astonishing results emerged from a study of 2,000 children from across the UK, conducted by the veterans’ charity Erskine that revealed limited knowledge of the World Wars amongst today’s school children.

The survey questioned children between the ages of nine and 15 on their knowledge of key World War triggers, events, people and dates.

More than one in 20 thought Adolf Hitler was in charge of Germany's football team, not leader of the Fascist Nazi Party. 12 per cent worryingly assume the McDonalds Golden Arches is the symbol of Remembrance Day, whilst forty per cent didn't even know that Remembrance Day falls on November 11th.

A quarter admitted they don't stop to think about the soldiers who sacrificed their lives but just over half do know where their local war memorial is located. Encouragingly though, it emerged that 70 per cent wish they are taught more about the World Wars at school.

Major Jim Panton, Chief Executive of Erskine, said: “Some of the answers to this poll have shocked us and it has shown that Erskine, amongst others, has a part to play, not just in caring for veterans but in educating society as a whole. As we approach Remembrance Day it is hard to believe that forty per cent of our children do not know when it is. There are also some positives to come out of this survey with the level of interest from children wishing to learn more at school about the World Wars. School children are the future of the country and it is important that we help them to learn about our history.”

Following the survey Erskine will work in partnership with Their Past Your Future (TPYF), a UK-wide educations project, to develop the charity’s schools pack on the back of the survey results. This will enable Erskine and Their Past Your Future to start educating young people online about the sacrifices made during World War Two.

Andrew Salmond, TPYF Scotland Project Manager for Museums Galleries Scotland said: "This initiative offers a fantastic opportunity to inform young people about the experiences of war – both at home and abroad. Some, we know, will convey wartime loss and suffering, others will speak of daring and inspiration. However, all will be of great educational value, offering an insight to what previous generations have endured in times of conflict."

Some of the most interesting results include:

• One in six believe Auschwitz is a World War Two based theme park
• Only half correctly said D-Day was the invasion of Normandy - a quarter believing it was 'Dooms Day'
• A quarter thought a nuclear bomb was dropped on Pearl Harbour which spurred America's involvement
• One in 20 think the Holocaust was the celebration at the end of the war
• One in 10 think the SS was Enid Blyton's Secret Seven, not Hitler's personal bodyguards
• One in 12 think The Blitz was a massive cleanup operation in Europe after World War Two

Each year, Erskine cares for over 1350 veterans, many having served in World War Two and who are more than willing to share their firsthand experiences and memorable war stories with younger generations.

Full results from Erskine’s survey are available to download at below.(at web page)

Survey Results by Region 

Survey Results 

Mr. Campbell,
Thank you for the etymology lesson in Remembrance.  Either way, They shall no longer grow old and will live in our hearts and minds as our freedom fighters, and we should give thanks for thier sacrifice.  I often and deeply down credit my presence on this planet to those that went before me and I now serve because of their legacy.  I shall never forget the stories my grandmother told me about the Blitz, bomb shelters and rationing. 
BTW, I was born in Britain.  :salute:

Those who wonder why I often call for the return of corporal punishment have only to read this story, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from today’s Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/cenotaph-vandalized-days-before-nov-11/article1357429/
Cenotaph vandalized days before Nov. 11
Part of towering stone monument that has stood for 86 years in downtown Fredericton toppled

cenotaph_325201gm-a.jpg

Jean-Guy Perreault inspects a toppled cross at the cenotaph in Fredericton.
Ray Bourgeois/The Canadian Press

OLIVER MOORE

Tuesday, Nov. 10, 2009

The towering stone monument has stood for 86 years in downtown Fredericton, with names added over the decades to honour the dead of Canada's wars.
But only days before Remembrance Day, when crowds typically gather around the cenotaph, vandals toppled part of the monument. They vanished into the night late Sunday or early
yesterday, leaving behind shattered pieces of granite and a profound sense of unease.

"I almost fell to my knees and I said, 'What went wrong?' " said Jean-Guy Perreault, president of the local branch of the Royal Canadian Legion. "I was devastated. I don't see the motive. I don't know the motive. It's really hard to explain. What is the cause of that? What are they trying to prove?"

Mr. Perreault found the damage as he arrived yesterday morning to plan for tomorrow's Remembrance Day ceremony. A three-metre-high stone cross that makes up part of the monument had been knocked over in spite of steel reinforcement designed to keep it upright.

"It's not only one person," he said. "It's a big heavy, heavy, heavy cross. I mean, it's humongous."

The damage, under investigation by the Fredericton police, follows other high-profile cases of war-memorial desecration.

In one of the most notorious incidents, nationwide outrage was sparked by a photograph of a young man in Ottawa urinating on the capital's cenotaph in 2006. Two teenagers and Montrealer Stephen Fernandes apologized and were ordered to perform community service.

Also in 2006, a Winnipeg man received a 60-day sentence for relieving himself on a Naval League monument at Memorial Park in Sudbury, Ont. Police said Shawn Morris put his beer bottle on the monument while urinating and attempted to flee when spotted by officers.

Veterans have called for strict punishment of anyone defiling or damaging a war memorial.

"There's a few young people out there who get their kicks by desecrating things," Legion spokesman Bob Butt said yesterday. "You can't look beyond it. You need to find these people and punish them to the fullest of the law."

An organizer with the Fredericton Peace Coalition denounced the damage but said the outrage is misplaced.

"Although what happened is, of course, tragic, the real tragedy is the endless war that a majority of Canadians oppose and has killed tens of thousands of Afghans and over 100 Canadian soldiers," Alex Corey said in an e-mailed statement.

In Fredericton, Mr. Perreault said people will gather as usual at the cenotaph tomorrow to honour Canada's war dead. Then the Legion will consider how to repair the damaged cross. It is not known how much it will cost to restore the monument - built in the 1920s for $20,000 - to its original condition.

Mr. Perreault urged the vandals to give themselves up.

"As long as I live I will never forget them," he said. "You can't let that go, if you let that go it'll be something else. They have to be punished severely. You cannot touch a memorial or a cemetery."

Note that the Globe’s reporter, seeking that ‘essential’ balance, had to get a reaction from the Fredericton Peace Coalition, allowing them to make an anti-Afghan War statement on a story related to vandalism.

Anyone want to take bets on the ethnicity of the vandals? My bet is they are not visible minorities; they are most likely the children of traditional, white. Anglo/Franco, ‘settler’ type families. My guess is that they are "our" children - their grandfathers may have served.

E.R. Campbell said:
My guess is that they are "our" children - their grandfathers may have served.

Yeah... now it's time for their fathers to beat the shit out of them !!  :rage:

Thanks for starting this thread Mr Campbell, the first post is very inspiring.

The Royal Canadian Legion has announced the name of the 2009/10 Silver Cross Mother. She is: Mrs. Della Marie Morley of East Saint Paul, Manitoba.

SilverCross2009_thumb.jpg

Her son, Cpl Keith Ian Morley was killed in the Panjawi District of Afghanistan on 18 September, 2006, while serving with ACoy, 2PPCLI.

tb_morley.jpg

This is now "our" war. Our dead and those who remember our dead are no longer wrinkled old men. They, CF members and their parents, are "us."

E.R. Campbell said:
The Royal Canadian Legion has announced the name of the 2009/10 Silver Cross Mother. She is: Mrs. Della Marie Morley of East Saint Paul, Manitoba.
Her son, Cpl Keith Ian Morley was killed in the Panjawi District of Afghanistan on 18 September, 2006, while serving with ACoy, 2PPCLI.
This is now "our" war. Our dead and those who remember our dead are no longer wrinkled old men. They, CF members and their parents, are "us."

I think self contained grief can be destructive. These mothers - whose own blood was spilled on foreign soil - should be honoured.

Notwithstanding the controversy about the creation and distribution of the medal, no one can doubt the sincerity and humanity of our Governor General as she presents the Sacrifice Medal, nor the right of these good people, and so many others, to have our respect and eternal condolences.

All photos reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29)  of the of the Copyright Act from today's Ottawa Citizen:
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Gallery+Governor+General+presents+Sacrifice+Medals/2202988/story.html

2203037.bin

Governer General Michaelle Jean comforts the mother of the late Private Michael Yuki Hayakaze as she and her son received the posthumous Sacfrice medal for Private Hayakaze Monday at Rideau Hall.

2203031.bin

The widow of Lieutenant Christopher Edward Saunders, Gwendolyn Manderville (left) receives the posthumous Sacrifice Medal from GG Michaelle Jean in front of PM Stephen Harper (right) and Chief of Defence Staff General Walter Natynczyk (rear centre) at Rideau Hall Monday.

2203032.bin

The widow of Dr. Glyn Raymond Berry, Valerie Berry, receives the Sacrifice medal from GG Michaelle Jean as PM Stephen Harper (right) and Chief of Defence Staff General Walter Natynczak (rear centre) look on. Dr. Berry was the only diplomat awarded the medal at the inagural ceremony.

2203027.bin

As PM Stephen Harper (right) looks on, GG Michaelle Jean gave a big comforting hug and a kiss to Officer Cadet Kendra Mellish, the widow of Warrant Officer Frank Robert Mellish, as she received his posthumous Sacrifice Medal on his behalf Monday at Rideau Hall.

2203025.bin

GG MICHAELLE JEAN gives a comforting hug to the widow of Major Paeta Derek Hess-von Kruedener, Cynthia Hess-von Kruedener, after she recieved the posthumous Sacrifice Medal for her husband Monday at Rideau Hall.

2203023.bin

Young Maude Mercier (centre), the daughter of Joseph Christian Mario Mercier, M.S.C., C.D., bursts into tears alongside her mother, Madame Ardouin after receiving the Sacrifice Medal posthumously for her dad from GG Michaelle Jean.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.  In this case, they are worth more.

It strikes me, now and again, that our American friends get it “right.” They have Veterans’ Day on 11 November and Memorial Day on the last Monday in May.

Yesterday a veteran named James Cross sent this letter to the editor of the Globe and Mail (it is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/letters-to-the-editor/nov-10-letters-to-the-editor/article1357125/
Remembrance, then and now

For 80 years, I’ve attended Remembrance Day services (Remembrance Day – Nov. 9). I am proud of the contributions made by my father, and grandfather in the First World War. But now that the Great War veterans have gone, we should re-examine this commemoration and give more attention to those who served in the Second World War, Korea, Bosnia, Afghanistan and other wars and peacekeeping missions.

Despite its Canadian connection with John McCrae, the poppy is a First World War symbol and Nov. 11 marks the end of that war. The National War Memorial has statuary of First World War figures with 1939-1945 superimposed as an add-on.

My proposal is that we honour our veterans in May, the month of victory in Europe, or August, the end of the war in the Pacific. The weather would be better; Nov. 11 is miserable in many parts of Canada. The poppy could continue, though my preference is a maple leaf and a distinctive memorial for the Second World War, perhaps near the War Museum.

James S. Cross, DFC, Victoria

Today, the Globe and Mail published a letter from  Neil Willoughby that said, in part:

“I prefer the foulest, coldest Nov. 11 possible to remember the hardships endured by soldiers of both world wars.

[Canadians] survived the muck, rain and horrors of trench warfare at Ypres in 1915; [and] battled through Italy during the wet and soggy winter of 1943. The Canadian victory at Vimy Ridge was carried out in a snowstorm on a terrible Easter Day in April, 1917. And who can forget our D-Day boys rushing, seasick, toward Juno Beach through hard, buffeting waves?

No, weather most foul on Nov. 11 is what I and, I hope, others need to really remember.”

I believe Remembrance Day needs to stay on 11 November, but why can we not have our own, Canadian, Veterans’ Day, too? Maybe on the Sunday closest to 6 June?

E.R. Campbell said:
I believe Remembrance Day needs to stay on 11 November, but why can we not have our own, Canadian, Veterans’ Day, too? Maybe on the Sunday closest to 6 June?

I know the Old Boys' Association of the regiment I used to be a member of moved their rituals of remembrance to June because the November chill was too much for the aging vets, so it's certainly not without precedent.

Also like the separation of sentiment, although that's going to take a LOOOOOOOOOONG time to educate folks about.

And when all the WWII vets are gone, do we then move it to July to coincide with the armistice in Korea?  And when all the Korea vets are gone, do we move it again to whatever date victory is declared in Afghanistan?  For 91 years, Nov 11 has served us just fine, let's let some traditions remain exactly that.

If you are interested, and have approximately 15 minutes to spare, download or listen online to "Fourteen August", narrated by Orson Wells. Very powerful with words like "God and Uranium on our side ......" The remembering segment towards the end really makes you pause.

450814 Columbia Presents Corwin - 14 August here: http://www.archive.org/details/OrsonWellesWartimeBroadcasts

It was written by Norman Corwin ( ahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Corwin ) and played on radio the significant date of 14 Aug 45. Corwin is still alive by the way.

If you have 60 minutes: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4668028

From the NPR website: On May 8, 1945, 60 million Americans tuned in to hear On A Note of Triumph, Norman Corwin's radio masterpiece marking the end of World War II in Europe. Lauded by Carl Sandburg as "one of the all-time great American poems," it was the most listened-to radio drama in U.S. history.

Also of interest, is "Nazi Eyes On Canada" on the first link (small town Saskatchewan, the SSR, Dieppe).

Thanks for posting, Rifleman62! They sent chills down my spine. Here's one by Red Foley called "Smoke on the Water":
There'll be nothin' left but vultures to inhabit all that land
When our modern ships and bombers make a graveyard of Japan":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLSmj9G0cE0
It "topped the charts for 13 consecutive weeks".

P.S. Notice how Orson Welles had a voice eerily similar to Canada's own Lorne Greene aka "The Voice of Doom"?

I had the honour of escorting the Silver Cross Mother for Portage La Prairie's service.
What a great lady, my wife of course!

A bit late, but Pericles had some words that still ring down the centuries:

What I would prefer is you should fix your eyes every day on the greatness of Athens as she really is, and fall in love with her. When you realize her greatness, then reflect what made her great were men with a spirit of adventure, men who knew their duty, men who were ashamed to fall below a certain standard. If they ever failed in an enterprise, they made up their minds that at any rate the city would not find their courage lacking to her, and they gave to her the best contribution that they could. They gave her their lives, to her and to all of us, and for their own selves they won praises that never grow old, the most splendid of sepulchers- not the sepulcher where their body is laid but where their glory remains eternal in men’s minds, always there on the right occasion to stir others to speech or to action.

Back