• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regulations Regarding Correspondance from my Civvy Email

Richard P

Inactive
Reaction score
I have recently joined the reserves, and therefore do not have a DWAN account nor an official email address. So, any correspondence between me and my superiors is done through my civvy email. I am wondering if I should be signing of with my rank or simply mister. Since I am not on-duty when sending it, I feel a little bit uncomfortable when using my rank.

Does anyone know the official stance on this?

Richard P said:
I have recently joined the reserves, and therefore do not have a DWAN account nor an official email address. So, any correspondence between me and my superiors is done through my civvy email. I am wondering if I should be signing of with my rank or simply mister. Since I am not on-duty when sending it, I feel a little bit uncomfortable when using my rank.

Does anyone know the official stance on this?

Don't worry about it, it's just a means of communicating- I did this constantly, and if it was work related I'd just sign with rank and name. There's no issue with that. A lot of my comms with my superiors never touched military email because we were all on class A.

There is no issue with this and has been done many times.  But the only thing I will say on the issue is be careful of your address.  During a deployment a number of years ago, a member had to use his personal e-mail for troubleshooting a comms problem with CFNOC and his unit.  His address was not very professional and was asked to create another for work purposes until the comms issue could be sorted out.

It's the military. Of course we have an incredibly long instruction on signature blocks.

Realistically, this counts more as personal than professional correspondence. However, there's no reason to be uncomfortable addressing yourself by rank. For what it's worth, Mr. has a clear meaning within the CF.

Back