• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruiting Success Story (asthma related)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDTyre

Reaction score
Well, first off, my apologies to everyone who tried to make me see the reality of being in the CF.  Two years ago when the issue of me having asthma came up, I staunchly held my ground and insisted those who doubted me where in the wrong.  Well, you may have been wrong about me, but I understand your stance, and I thank you for your doubt and your insistence that I prove myself.

For those who are curious and/or struggling with the issue, the long and short of it is that I was diagnosed as a child as having asthma.  No specifics on the cause, just that I had asthma.  At 4 years old, I was given an inhaler.  For 17 years, I never questioned why I had it.    When I decided to join the army, it became clear I really need to question the way I had lived for the most of my life.  I was determined to enlist, and I was successful.

I mentioned to the recruiting medics that I had been diagnosed as having asthma as a child but in the past few years, I had not really needed an inhaler.  I also noted that during cold weather (winter), I may experience a slight shortness of breath during heavy physical exertion.  No coincidence that I, like many other people, tend to get colds and flus during the winter.  It was my mistake for not mentioning that the shortness of breath was related to being sick.  Thus, the medics determined I had exercised related asthma.  I was outright rejected.  But I did not give up.  One year and three tests later, two doctors and three med techs concluded I did not have asthma of any kind.  At best, one med tech concluded I may or may not have a slight reaction to methacholine (he said this after dosing me with the highest dose methacholine).  My exercise stress test subsequently proved that I could perform under physical stress without having difficulty breathing.  I should note that both my family doctor and the respirologist that I saw both had patients from my regiment. :)

I am now currently nearing the end of my BMQ.  Some personal/family issue delayed my training progress, but for anyone who was wondering what may have become of me, I am proud to say that everything that has been thrown at me so far as proved challenging, but has not defeated me.

And there has been no sign of my asthma.

For those who have been rejected for exercise-induced asthma, do the tests.  Ask your doctor to put you in for a Pulmonary Function, a methacholine challenge, and an exercise stress test.  If you know you can do it, prove to them that you can.  If you have been diagnosed as having ashtma and want to enlist, do the tests before you apply.  I did them after applying and it took me 2 years less a week from date of application to swearing in.

To the admins/veterans, I'm sorry if this sounds preachy/"I told you so."  Two years ago I bitched and moaned, but I just wanted to let those who politey suggested I STFU know that my vocal complaints weren't unfounded.

And that's just my two coppers worth.

Congrats.

No need to bring up old wounds. Move on; they have. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back