• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions regarding NCO and CO

MidnightReverie

Inactive
Reaction score
I have been seriously considering joining the CF for a while now, but there's a few questions I need to get a clear answer to before I can make my decision:

1) I have been attending a university for an undergraduate degree for 3 years, due to a combination of reasons my grades have been failing hard and I was required to withdraw from the university on my final year of the program. With 3 years of university but without an undergrad degree, am I still eligible to apply as an CO?

2) A friend of mine who has some experience in the military told me that once you've applied and gotten into NCO, it's extremely difficult and basically impossible to transfer to CO. The choice of being as an NCO or CO is set for life. Is this true?

3) Once I'm in the force, I'm very much like to station near my friends and family in Edmonton. I know for a fact that there is a military base not far up north of Edmonton, the CFB Edmonton, but I've also heard that it is mainly an airforce base. Therefore, my question is, is it possible for me to request to be stationed in the Edmonton Garrison as an infantry or armored division?

4) As mentioned before, I was in the university for 3 years but I was required to withdraw. However I would very much like to complete my university education and obtain an undergrad degree. Is there a program in the CF besides applying for NCO that would give me the opportunity to do so with tuition paid for by the Force?

I understand that these aren't easy questions to answer. I really appreciate your time and help. Thank you.

Actually these are very easy.  As an NCO, you will not be a Commanding Officer (CO).  You have to be an Officer to do that job.

1.  Very very rarely, can you become an officer without a degree, and usually if you take your commision as a CWO.  DEO, generally, no chance.
2.  Not true.  UTPNCM is available for all members, but the competition is stiff.
3.  CFB Edmonton is army, not RCAF, so yes as an Infantryman or Armoured Crewman there are lots of positions.
4.  See 2 above.

211RadOp said:
Actually these are very easy.  As an NCO, you will not be a Commanding Officer (CO).  You have to be an Officer to do that job.

1.  Very very rarely, can you become an officer without a degree, and usually if you take your commision as a CWO.  DEO, generally, no chance.
2.  Not true.  UTPNCM is available for all members, but the competition is stiff.
3.  CFB Edmonton is army, not RCAF, so yes as an Infantryman or Armoured Crewman there are lots of positions.
4.  See 2 above.

Fixed that for you.  Infantry are armoured.  We crew armour.

I think the OP is using "CO" in the context of "Commissioned Officer"...

1.  There is a program that takes officers without degrees, but I don't believe it is open anymore.

2.  It is not extremely difficult nor impossible to commission - there are numerous programs available at all stages of an NCMs career.

3.  CFB Edmonton is primarily an Army base - you stand a good chance of going there if you joined the infantry or armoured corps.

4.  There are a few different programs available to members to upgrade their education.  It could be something as simple as you taking some distance learning to complete your credit requirement and CDA providing you with tuition reimbursement.  This is something you could explore with a Personnel Selection Officer once you were posted to a unit.

The majority of 1 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group is based in CFB Edmonton.  For Infantry at that base there is the 1st and 3rd Battalions of the Princess Patricia`s Canadian Light Infantry as well as a Armour Regiment - Lord Strathcona`s Horse.

Also note, that you get to choose 3 choices for your posting(RCMP get Stationed).  Of these three you may get one or none.  You go to the place where there is a vacant position, for basically your career in the Forces.

At present I suggest you visit your local Recruiting center and ask them the questions you have. 

Finish your degree, it's only 1-1.5 years worth of work and will do you much better then a partial degree.

Infanteer said:
1.  There is a program that takes officers without degrees, but I don't believe it is open anymore.

2.  It is not extremely difficult nor impossible to commission - there are numerous programs available at all stages of an NCMs career.

3.  CFB Edmonton is primarily an Army base - you stand a good chance of going there if you joined the infantry or armoured corps.

4.  There are a few different programs available to members to upgrade their education.  It could be something as simple as you taking some distance learning to complete your credit requirement and CDA providing you with tuition reimbursement.  This is something you could explore with a Personnel Selection Officer once you were posted to a unit.

We're the corps of armour, not the corps in armour.

Back