• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions and lack of confidence? - Foreigner to become a Pilot

miroxen

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So basically I am 24 years old from Malta (lives in Malta, Europe), and I hold a BSc Hons 1st in Software Engineering. I always dreamed about becoming a fighter pilot or fly a military masterpiece of engineering - I know its not easy and thats why I’m here asking and to listen to your opinions.

So lately I have been thinking of making some serious decisions in my life whether I should try to join the Canadian Air Force to become a pilot or keep on going with IT, apply for MSc and start a business here in Malta.

I have my dad’s sister (aunt) who lives in Canada ON, - she’s been living there with her husband and children for the last 35 years, and all the children now are settled with good job and lives on their own. Last August I’ve paid a visit and stayed with aunt and uncle for the month, and then is when I realised I can fulfill my dream, since they are ready to sponsor and support me.

I know its a long process to get the citizenship and then apply (another longer process) with the air force (some 3-4 years in all?), however that doesn't stop me. I’m just not confident enough of myself that I can make it through because

- to be honest, back in highschool I never gave a damn thing about school (I just didn’t want to study or pay attention in class) and of course I failed all the GCE Ordinary Level exams. So basicly during my teens I was refered as the stupid one and whatnot. When I was 19 I started working as a security guard and after a year I realised what the hell am I doing? I went back to a private school NCC Education (UK), just to get a certification in computers studies (since I like computers too) and in a nutshell I ended up with a First Class bachelor’s in software engineering and with two GCE’s Mathematics and Physics.  (I think I was way too underestimated by my ex friends and family, and I proved them wrong.)

- Physical training and conditions are the least that worries me as I’m in good shape - I've been wrestling all my life, hunting, rock climbing and anything adventurous that is available on this tiny island, I’m in.

I have been through lots of posts especially by retired Air Force pilots (which I think its the best source) stating that you need to be one of the top of the class, fast learning, smart (which now I rank myself as a very smart guy), excellent in english understanding and writing and some suggest to have some pre experience flying hours.

So, because this is becoming way too long, lets say I’m not a superb in fast learning and english (which I know I need to improve my english writing) - My plan is to come to Canada, apply for the citizenship, meanwhile until they approve it, I get a job, take english lessons (my cousin she’s an english teacher), and also take flying lessons to prepare myself until I will be eligible to apply with the Force. - any opinions or is this way too fantasyish?
And lets say you fail to become a pilot, can they offer you another job in the Air Force?

Also becoming part of the Canadian Air Force and especially a pilot with the Force, will help me to boost my confidence and be proud of what I am - so yeah I won’t be doing this just to fly fulfill my dream.

Thank you for your time.

Maybe it would be more suitable for you to join the Malta,Italian or another European air force. Its very difficult for most qualified people in Canada to become a pilot, so for a foreigner it would be much more difficult. Also your degree might not even be recognized by the CAF, Its best you call a recruiting center in Canada and ask them first before applying for citizenship.

You cannot apply to be a an officer in the Canadian Forces without Canadian Citizenship.

Just in response to the opening post, just a bit of humour here... if you want to be Canadian do it if you can get in, its not like the US or France where you can fight for them and get citizenship as a byproduct that stopped with the first nations.

US took latinos not sure if maltese applies with the transfer to cool war with specops not sure if it is still on the plate.

The problem with Canada is downsizing - in 3 or 4 years Canada may be retiring its airforce, meaning way less new pilots, especially fighter pilots, there are other aircraft though other than fighters, frankly Canada may not even have interception fighters.

The future may very well be in drones, I'm not sure if you play flight sims but chances are that is where it will be at.

Now with France there is the French Foreign Legion, if you get in there after a 5 or 6 year term I think you get French Citizenship which therein you might apply to the French Airforce.

But for sure if you want to be Canadian go for it. It is apparently getting easier. Becoming a pilot may not be though. Live your dream worst case scenario it doesn't happen and life goes on, it is your choice to persue your dreams, your not in the military you don't need permission to dream.

This is just my opinion and not representative of the Canadian Military in anyway.

Back