• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question for all you airsofters.

• Thread starter Thread starter cameron_highlander
  • Start date Start date
now there's an idea!

A pneumatic airsoft anti tank round (also known as a golf ball)

The Mk II upgrade includes a 5hp air compressor and a supply of concrete filled volleyballs.

I will market them as "compliance assured" airsoft products.  >:D

Nothing adds to the fun like realism - right?

GO!!! said:
now there's an idea!

A pneumatic airsoft anti tank round (also known as a golf ball)

The Mk II upgrade includes a 5hp air compressor and a supply of concrete filled volleyballs.

I will market them as "compliance assured" airsoft products.  >:D

Nothing adds to the fun like realism - right?

Just remember the Hague Airsoft Convention prohibits the use of golfball munitions against enemy personnel. Such rounds may only be fired at vehicles and equipment. Equipment of course including belts, buttons etc. ;D

( d) any other barrelled weapon, where it is proved that the weapon is not designed or adapted to discharge

(i) a shot, bullet or other projectile at a muzzle velocity exceeding 152.4 m per second or at a muzzle energy exceeding 5.7 Joules, or

(ii) a shot, bullet or other projectile that is designed or adapted to attain a velocity exceeding 152.4 m per second or an energy exceeding 5.7 Joules.

I think this is the part that makes it white.

At the end of the day, an airsoft gun is a pellet gun, a close cousin to the Daisy or Crosman BB gun. It shoots plastic instead of lead (of similar diameter) , and the muzzle velocity is well below 153 m/s, so it should have no problem meeting the velocity and energy limits. And "real" Crosman BB/pellet guns are often designed to resemble large-bore firearms (although not to the obsessive level of detail that the airsoft stuff does) and are still legal.

Where an airsofter can expect problems, I suspect, is that level of detail obscures the fact that the device is really a low-energy pellet gun. It is going to take some close examination for an offiicer to determine its true function, and there is the possibility that the officer will mistake it for either the real thing or a proscribed replica and act accordingly.

I also suspect that if an officer has been scared by his initial assessment of what the airsoft gun really is (imagine a traffic stop with your airsoft AK-47 sitting next to you in the car) that the officer is not going to be kindly disposed towards you and your hyper-realistic toy.

BTW, the "maybe I'll just sneak it across the border" idea;

104. (1) Every person commits an offence who imports or exports

(a) a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any prohibited ammunition, or

(b) any component or part designed exclusively for use in the manufacture of or assembly into an automatic firearm,

otherwise than under the authority of the Firearms Act or any other Act of Parliament or any regulations made under an Act of Parliament.

Punishment
(2) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1)

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years

Given that (at least to my non-legally-binding opinion) these things don't meet the definition of "firearm", due to muzzle velocity/energy limits, this shouldn't apply - although there is bound to be much excitement and distress until this can be determined by the officer on the scene - part of which could very well lead to:

Plus a free colon exam from WR to boot.  (he has big hands with horrid sausage fingers, not pretty)

****SHUDDER*****

Oooo.... thanks for that mental image. That'll be with me for DAYS.

DG

They dont qualify as firearms, but by virtue of their authenticity, they appear to be prohibited devices.  The firing capability and muzzle velocity are all for qualifying as a firearm.  The addition of replica firearms to the prohibited list is fairly new. 
And you are right, DG, we probably will not spend ANY amount of time determining if the gun is real or not until the person with it is in custody ( .40 cal body piercings optional, but free).

My understanding on the "replica" thing is that in order to qualify as a replica, it cannot shoot anything.

EG

a) "looks like a real firearm, cannot shoot" == REPLICA FIREARM and thus prohibited.
b) "looks like a real firearm, shoots, muzzle velocity/energy in excess of 153 m/s and/or 7J" == FIREARM and subject to firearms laws
c)  "looks like a real firearm, shoots, muzzle velocity/energy less than 153 m/s and 7J" == NOT A FIREARM, NOT A REPLICA and thus legal

At least, that's the way I read the code. Have you got the citation that defines "replica firearm"?

But yeah, independant of the letter of the law "looks like miliary weapon" == SCARED COP OR CUSTOMS AGENT and that's never a good thing.

DG

Like I said before, airsoft is in a grey area of Canadian Law, but at the present time it is perfectly legal.

Smart people carry their airsoft guns in a case in their trunk, when they go to an from games; an don't go around showing them off on the street, etc. But there are some idiots, who buy these guns than shoot people from their apartment or from their car, etc. For the most part, these are isolated incidents, an aren't caused(AFAIK) by actuall airsoft players, just dumb people who think it'll be fun to buy a airsoft pistol an try to scare people, etc

Oh, an going off into the woods/park to go an run around shooting each other with airsoft/bb gun.. smart... you want people to call the cops on you? An take the risk of being shot? Its happened before, some kids were playing in a park an sh*t, someone thought they were real an called the cops, SWAT showed up...

guys, just use some common sense here.....

if youre running around with something that looks 99.9% like the real thing, its not going to matter if it falls through some legal loophole...

ask a simple question, do you really want to be dead right? and if you think the Cop is going to hesitate, uh uh.... you point that thing at him, and a beating a charge of "pointing a firearm" is going to be the least of your worries.... Treating Multiple gunshot wounds to your center of body mass on the other hand may be a priority.....

Just be smart.

Anyone remember that song "I fought the Law and the Law won" ?
my advice, Pick your Fight, this isnt one you'll win.

regards
    Josh

cuz I'll bet you the first thing that crosses zipperhead_cop and his brethren's minds when they see a guy dressed in camouflage combat clothes running around in the dark with an airsoft gun (which is marketed as being as close to the real thing as possible) is

"Hmm, you know, maybe that's not a real gun at all...maybe I should just keep my weapon in my holster, in case it's a fake, cuz I wouldn't want to take that chance"   ::)

If I was in that situation, and I see a guy with what very much looks like an AK, has it up to his shoulder like an AK, and has what looks like the business end of an AK pointed at me or someone else, You're God****ed right I'm gonna put rounds in the center of that mass.

You wanna play airsoft? That's cool...waste your money...better than smoke and drink (which I prefer myself, but meh). Enjoy yourself, shoot your friends, I don't care, but do it in a set and safe area (IE, not the local community park at night). Transport your guns as if they were actual weapons (just saves you some grief). And for ****s sake, just be smart about it.

Most airsoft fields are in paintball fields, or in private fields an the police know about all of them. An they are fenced off, etc so no one accidently stumbles in. Theres never been any problems by this, an everyone brings their airsoft gun's in locked container or something an only bring it out once they are about to go into the field.

Like I said before, its only a small minority of people who are stupid enough to play in public areas or **** around in a city.

Couldn't resist  ;D

Found these "hardcore special airsoft forces" movies last night. Very interesting sport, looks like a load of fun.

"Box Truck Down" Movie - Part 1
http://www.ourmedia.org/node/19780

"Box Truck Down" Movie - Part 2
http://www.ourmedia.org/node/7655

My brother had an airsoft MP5 when he was 17. When my father found out he cut the gun into two. His reasoning? He is a cop and he said that if was on patrol and he saw someone (kid or no) on the street with this thing he would most likely shot him.

I might check this out? I'm sure I have $3000 kicking around

Back