• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question about my Grandfather

shamrockmpj

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello there,

I am w riting to find out how I go about researching some people in my family. What I do know is that my Grandfather was a Captain at the beginning of the War. (World War 2). He was in Royal Canadian Light Anti Aircraft. His diary talks about him serving in England throughout most of the war. In fact he didnt go to the Continent until after D-day apparently. However the thing is that apparently he had to switch to infantry. The question I have is that he received an award from Belgium that I have found out is quite an honor but other thatn that I know nothing about it. Its called "Chevalier de l'Ordere de Leopold II" However he did not speak of the war. I was wondering if there is a way to find out more about his services. His name was Lt. Col. Allen Hardie Wilson. He became a Major during the war, and he became a Lt. Col in the army reserve in  Moose Jaw, SK. Any information you could give would be awsome.

Mike

shamrockmpj

You will find a variety of links and other advice on researching the military service of family members on the family Research board - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/board,74.0.html

Thank you for your help. What I was hoping to find out more than anything was about the Order itself. The order is The Order of Leopold II. I have tried searching for this on the internet, however, all I know is that it was given to someone who did a service for the Belgian King. I have no idea what to do about finding out what he did for the Belgian King. All I know is that when he was a Battery Captain he helped organize a huge Christmas party for 500 kids in Belgium. I have his military record but it doesnt say anything about receiving the Order or even the Belgian Croix de Guerre, avec Palme. It just gives a list of the five standard medals everyone else got. Does anyone know about what these two other medals mean? All his medals were lost and I would like replacements if anything just for a keepsake. We have the uniform and the ribbons but no medals. Does anyone else know how I can order more?

Thank you

Order of Léopold (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Leopold

The Order of Léopold (Leopoldsorde in Dutch, Ordre de Léopold in French) is one of the three Belgian national honorary Orders. It is the highest military order of Belgium and is named in honour of King Léopold I. The decoration was established in 1832 and is awarded for extreme bravery in combat or for meritorious service of immense benefit to the Belgian nation.

During the Second World War, the Order of Léopold was bestowed to the several officers of foreign militaries who had helped to liberate Belgium from the occupation of German forces. Famous recipients include George S. Patton, Bernard Montgomery, and Dwight Eisenhower. The medal was also granted to Josip Broz Tito in 1970.

Membership can only be granted by his majesty, King Albert II and is reserved to the very most important Belgian nationals and to some distinguished foreign persons who contributed in one way to the Belgian military, the Belgian civil society or the Belgian State. No membership can be obtained if the person did not yet reach the age of 40. Annually, there are two days when the King may grant membership, on April 8th (King Albert's birthday) and on November 15th (Day of the Belgian Dynasty).

There is also an Order of Leopold II (1900-Present); Officer
http://www.marksmedals.com/belgium_files/order_of_leopoldII.html

The Order of Leopold II was first created in 1900 by King Leopold II as an award for the independent state of  Congo.  In 1908, this medal was incorporated into the Belgian awards system as the lowest ranking of Belgium's 5 orders.

It was awarded for 'service to the King', but is reality a long service order. 

Back