• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question about medals

Beadwindow 7 said:
Dressed up, maybe, but I don't know if I'd ever use..."pretty"
Agreed but when I served I'm sure "pretty" was never applied to me (and still isn't) and would have been a sure knife in the heart of any I served with. (OK I should have said " almost all that I've served with). ;)

Hmmm As I remember one showed up via Canada Post after I released, one received on parade from CO (RSM called me at home as I was on leave and more or less implied that I really should come in for that parade), one tossed at me by the CC in the BOR as I was wandering through.  That seems about right. ::)

Oh yeah "Pretty" and "JM"are two words that should never appear in the same sentence. :whiteflag:

Danjanou said:
Oh yeah "Pretty" and "JM"are two words that should never appear in the same sentence. :whiteflag:

Bah.  How about "The barmaid serving Journeyman his third beer* is pretty."?

(*Third since it's only 12:22 local right now...)

Jimmy_D said:
Most medals have to be presented to you by a Col or higher. So take the time to wait it out. You aleady know your going to recieve it, and when you do then your gonna have to go and get them mounted which takes time as well. Just better to wait it out.

Pure baloney.

The Sacrifice Medal is presented by Colonels or higher by order of the CDS in Dec 09.

All my medals have been on a dog and pony sadly....

I still stand by just mail them to me. I'll be honest I don't really care about any of them. I know what I did and where I was not really a flashy bling guy (any more  ;)).

As for the OP I agree a memo is in order addressed to the CO.

You can wear undress ribbons as soon as you are eligible.

I can see this RSM jacking you up on it. Reply could be the the medals are collecting dusk on your desk sir.

Jim Seggie said:
The Sacrifice Medal is presented by Colonels or higher by order of the CDS in Dec 09.

... For fallen members.  For injured members the Sacrifice Medal can be presented by their unit CO.

Eowyn said:
... For fallen members.  For injured members the Sacrifice Medal can be presented by their unit CO.

I beg to differ. The CANFORGEN states that General Officers/Flag Officers and Colonels by exception only.

Your unit is in violation of an order from the CDS.

CANFORGEN 206/09 CDS 027/09 011327Z DEC 09
SACRIFICE MEDAL - CEREMONIAL EVENTS
UNCLASSIFIED

THE INAUGURAL CEREMONY OF 09 NOV 09 AT RIDEAU HALL HOSTED BY HER EXCELLENCY GG WAS A FITTING WAY TO PAY TRIBUTE TO THE SACRIFICES OF OUR MEN AND WOMEN FOR THEIR WOUNDS SUSTAINED AND FOR THE FAMILLIES OF THE FALLEN

THOUGH 46 SACRIFICE MEDALS WERE PRESENTED AT THIS CEREMONY THERE REMAINS ANOTHER 468 WHICH HAVE BEEN AUTHORISED AND DISTRIBUTED TO RESPECTIVE COMMANDS

I DIRECT THAT EC S AND CC S ARE TO ENSURE THAT PROPER CEREMONY AND PROTOCOL ARE EXERCISED TO PRESENT SACRIFICE MEDALS WITHIN THEIR RESPECTIVE COC. MY INTENT IS FOR THIS MEDAL TO BE PRESENTED BY AN OFFICER AT THE GO/FO LEVEL, AND BY EXCEPTION ONLY BY CAPT(N)/COL

RECIPIENTS ALONG WITH THEIR FAMILLIES AND FAMILLIES OR THE FALLEN SHOULD BE GIVEN THIS DIGNITY

Jim Seggie said:
I beg to differ. The CANFORGEN states that General Officers/Flag Officers and Colonels by exception only.

Your unit is in violation of an order from the CDS.

CANFORGEN 206/09 CDS 027/09 011327Z DEC 09
SACRIFICE MEDAL - CEREMONIAL EVENTS
UNCLASSIFIED

THE INAUGURAL CEREMONY OF 09 NOV 09 AT RIDEAU HALL HOSTED BY HER EXCELLENCY GG WAS A FITTING WAY TO PAY TRIBUTE TO THE SACRIFICES OF OUR MEN AND WOMEN FOR THEIR WOUNDS SUSTAINED AND FOR THE FAMILLIES OF THE FALLEN

THOUGH 46 SACRIFICE MEDALS WERE PRESENTED AT THIS CEREMONY THERE REMAINS ANOTHER 468 WHICH HAVE BEEN AUTHORISED AND DISTRIBUTED TO RESPECTIVE COMMANDS

I DIRECT THAT EC S AND CC S ARE TO ENSURE THAT PROPER CEREMONY AND PROTOCOL ARE EXERCISED TO PRESENT SACRIFICE MEDALS WITHIN THEIR RESPECTIVE COC. MY INTENT IS FOR THIS MEDAL TO BE PRESENTED BY AN OFFICER AT THE GO/FO LEVEL, AND BY EXCEPTION ONLY BY CAPT(N)/COL

RECIPIENTS ALONG WITH THEIR FAMILLIES AND FAMILLIES OR THE FALLEN SHOULD BE GIVEN THIS DIGNITY

I may have misunderstood.  I have only dealt with the presentation to the family of a fallen member.  Thanks for the correction.

Journeyman said:
As with jollyjacktar, both my CD and, subsequently, the clasp were just thrown into my office mail slot. I was perfectly OK with that, and at this point, I suspect that the original poster may be as well.

All of my deployment medals (which I actually value) involved "parades," in-theatre, of no more than 2-3 of us standing before the CO or some other 'dignitary.' The aim was met in an effective manner, no rocks were painted, and I've always managed to look suitably pretty in time for Remembrance Day.

Actually the Swain was a great guy and I easily talked him into slipping me the first one across the counter with the provisio to keep stumm.  He said he could not do so with the second one as it was an important one (at that time it was rare for a sailor to get the GCS in the fleet).  It does means a great deal to me as well as it (GCS) and it's bar was earned on the ground.  However, I hate a fuss being made with regards to me and I would have been even more pleased to just take it and run as well.  I don't want the public recognition that comes with being on parade to receive promotions and medals, getting it via the back door or mail is perfect.  Sadly for me, the CoC don't see it that way and want it otherwise.

Pusser said:
The only real guideline on the presentation of medals is that it should be timely and dignified.  It is perfectly acceptable to wait for a parade that is coming up, but to wait indefinitely for an as yet unplanned parade is unacceptable.  In short, delaying a presentation by weeks for something is OK, but delaying for months without a plan is not.

I have been witness to a delay of many months waiting for "an appropriate event" at which to present a medal.  In the meantime, sadly, the recipient was killed in an accident.

No time like the present.

Rifleman62 said:

I can see this RSM jacking you up on it. Reply could be the the medals are collecting dusk on your desk sir.

I know a lot of guys myself included who would pay to see that little exchange.

Haggis said:
I have been witness to a delay of many months waiting for "an appropriate event" at which to present a medal.  In the meantime, sadly, the recipient was killed in an accident.

No time like the present.

I bet that made a few people feel like schmucks, especially if they had to go to the family to ask for the member's other medals, so they could get them all mounted together for the funeral.  Was the member's funeral an appropriate enough occasion to present the medal?

Sometimes timeliness is the most important thing of all.

Rifleman62 said:

Is there a ref for this, by any chance?  My entire Ship's Company is waiting for our medals to trickle in - we are being told the timeline is 12-18 months.  :(

Would be nice to get my sailors their ribbon though...

Did a search of the two pubs you would think it was in plus other refs. Nothing.

It was the practice to wear the undress ribbon when an award was gazetted (announced)  prior to the investiture which was to be held at a later date.

Note; Modified to correct terminology: gazetted/announced.

Back