• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Queen's Diamond Jubilee Super Thread

Hurricane said:
Cadets could always use another "gimmie" medal. On another note, pertaining to the rangers. I know they live up there in the cold most of the time, but is there an Arctic Operational Service Medal or has there ever been talk of one? I know they are just doing their day to day job, but its friggin cold up there!

They're used to the cold though, its not as bad as it is for us travelling up there. I think they are entitled to the CD though, giving them a medal for being in the Arctic would be like wanting to give people a Gagetown Service Medal....  >:D

Hurricane said:
. . . . .  On another note, pertaining to the rangers. I know they live up there in the cold most of the time, but is there an Arctic Operational Service Medal or has there ever been talk of one? I know they are just doing their day to day job, but its friggin cold up there!

Not an OSM but the SSM.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhr-ddhr/chc-tdh/chart-tableau-eng.asp?ref=SSM
The Special Service Medal (SSM) was created to recognize members of the Canadian Forces who are taking part in activities and operations under exceptional circumstances.

ELIGIBILITY & CRITERIA

The Special Service Medal (SSM) recognizes members of the Canadian Forces (CF) who have performed a service determined to be under exceptional circumstances, in a clearly defined locality for a specified duration. The SSM recognizes approved activities underway on 11 June 1984 or subsequently established. This medals is always issued with a bar that specifies the special service being recognized, each bar having its own criteria.

. . . . . .

RANGER

(Authorized by PC 1999-1742).
An aggregate of four years of honourable service as a Canadian Ranger, performing the duties of providing a military presence in support of Canadian sovereignty including reporting unusual activities, collecting local data of significance to support military operations, providing local expertise, assistance and advice, as guide and advisor, in search and rescue activities, and completion of a minimum of three Ranger Patrol Exercises, within Canada or its territorial and contiguous waters since 1947.

Blackadder1916 said:
Not an OSM but the SSM.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhr-ddhr/chc-tdh/chart-tableau-eng.asp?ref=SSM

Their bar reads Ranger.

Pers who serve 6 months at CFS Alert receive the "Alert" bar.

ArmyVern said:
Their bar reads Ranger.

Pers who serve 6 months at CFS Alert receive the "Alert" bar.

Psst.  Scroll down to para 6 under "Bars". 
bar_ssm_ranger.jpg

;)

I know there's someone out there in CFland that has the 125, QGJM and CD that is just frothing at the mouth to get the QDJM.

There has to be one.......somewhere.............

Cadets could always use another "gimmie" medal.

If by Cadets, do you mean COATS pers?  As we're the members of the CF, not the Cadets.  We only usually receive one other medal and thats the CD which, i don't personally classify as a gimme medal, maybe you do.

Cadets are not authorized to wear CF medals, nor the QDJM.

Cheers,

PV

slight grammar mod

PViddy said:
If by Cadets, you mean COATS pers, as we're the members of the CF, not the Cadets then we only usually receive one other medal.  Thats the CD which, i don't personally classify as a gimme medal, maybe you do.

Cheers,

PV

I'm pretty sure he meant it as in "anybody but us" ...........relax.

Regarding cadets, this was taken from a notice issued last january from DCdts regarding the moving of "unofficial cadet medals" from the left breast to the right:

"Q7. In the exceptional case where a cadet is awarded an official medal (in ref to the Canadian Orders, Decorations and Medals Directive of 1998), where will this official medal and ribbon be worn on the cadet uniform?
A7. An official medal shall be suspended above the left breast pocket of the jacket of the cadet uniform, immediately above and centred. If two or more official medals are awarded, they shall be worn in order of precedence, without interval, with the highest priority medal closest to the centre of the chest. Ribbons of official medals shall be positioned in rows, centred immediately above the left breast pocket of the jacket or shirt of the cadet uniform, without interval between the ribbons and rows."

The statement that "Cadets are not authorized to wear CF medals, nor the QDJM" is almost like saying that CIC officers (or the CF in general) shouldn't be allowed to wear their police/fire/ambulance/coast guard long service medals with their uniform because even though they're national honours, they're not "CF" medals. I had a similar talk about the GSM when I was in Kandahar, and a number of people there said that I shouldn't be allowed to wear it on my uniform, never mind receive it.

Journeyman said:
For cryin' out loud; give it to the Cadets, Rangers, and anyone who's never deployed.

For the rest of us, it just causes the butt-pain of having to get the medals remounted.....again.  ::)

Well there goes my dream of looking like this guy...

PViddy said:
If by Cadets, do you mean COATS pers?  As we're the members of the CF, not the Cadets.  We only usually receive one other medal and thats the CD which, i don't personally classify as a gimme medal, maybe you do.

Cheers,

PV

slight grammar mod

I'm sure by Cadets he means COATS, CIC or whatever. Not many people know or care what the youth organisation calls it's leadership component. 

"Q7.  In the exceptional case where a cadet is awarded an official medal (in ref to the Canadian Orders, Decorations and Medals Directive of 1998), where will this official medal and ribbon be worn on the cadet uniform?
A7.  An official medal shall be suspended above the left breast pocket of the jacket of the cadet uniform, immediately above and centred. If two or more official medals are awarded, they shall be worn in order of precedence, without interval, with the highest priority medal closest to the centre of the chest. Ribbons of official medals shall be positioned in rows, centred immediately above the left breast pocket of the jacket or shirt of the cadet uniform, without interval between the ribbons and rows."

yes, i have also read that but didn't recall at the time of post.  Good catch.

Cheers,

PV

ArmyVern said:
Isn't that what I just said??

Sure is.  I'm just not sure why you brought the Alert bar into it.    :dunno:

CDN Aviator said:
2 women arguing over what the other said...........that always goes well.......

Nah, we're okay.  ;)

I'm sure by Cadets he means COATS, CIC or whatever. Not many people know or care what the youth organisation calls it's leadership component. 

I do, it's my unit.

However, since then i have been corrected with some helpful information.  Thanks Ladies + Gents!

cheers

PV

NavalMoose said:
Since when does a commemorative medal have anything to do with merit, gender, language etc? I'll tell you when....since the Government is too cheap to make enough for all people in uniform and not just CF uniforms. Take the example of the UK which is in dire economic trouble but still will give out this gong for all personnel with 5 years in and not just the MOD. Their Military not to mention all the other services must be at least twice Canada's yet we nickel and dime our people.....for shame.

Can't please all the people all the time over there either:
"A Cardiff veteran has launched a nationwide battle to ensure all past servicemen are given the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal":
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/cardiffonline/cardiff-news/2012/01/05/veterans-in-battle-for-queen-s-diamond-jubilee-medal-91466-30061972/

Edit to add smiley:  :)

PViddy said:

There is no such thing as a "CF" medal.  All Orders, Decorations and Medals in the Canadian Honours System emanate or are approved by the Crown.  Although there are a number of them that can only be earned by military personnel (note I said "military," not necessarily CF), the system as whole applies to all Canadians.  Those honours that can only be earned by military personnel (e.g. Military Valour Decorations, GCS, CD, etc) cannot be worn by a cadet, only because a cadet cannot earn them.  However, there are no restrictions on the others, including the Diamond Jubilee Medal.  If a cadet is awarded it (and yes, it is possible), he/she can wear it - on the left side of his/her uniform.

At a recent ceremony at Rideau Hall, a 14 year old girl was awarded the Medal of Bravery (which a number of CF personnel have also earned).  If she were a cadet, she could wear it on her uniform.

Curiosity's sake- there must at some point have been a cadet or three who've been decorated with MB's for something or other?

Also curious to know what the age requirements are to work at Tim Hortons in KAF (I know its gone now). Could a 16/17 year old not go to work in KAF at Timmies and come back to his Cadet Corps with a GCS?

Back