• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Quebeckers joining the Armed Forces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zarathustra

Inactive
Reaction score
This is so funny. Quebec has 23.5% of the population and provided 26% of recruits in 2006. Ontario has 39% of the population and provided 32% of new recruits. So much for Quebec pacifism.

French CBC clip:
http://www.radio-canada.ca/Medianet/2006/RDI2/Telejournal200610312100_1.asx

First we vote Harper, then this. Quebec politicians must be so confused.

In a way it makes sense though. We are paying attention a lot to international matters. Rwanda and General Dalaire were big in Quebec, many movies were made on this. Darfour is also popular, and we don't like religious extremists à la Taliban very much.

Don't  forget that Quebeckers have a very strong military tradition.  Hell, it's even translated into the english side of things.  Every time the R 22eR is mentioned, they are referred to as "the famous (or famed) vandoos"

von Garvin said:
Don't  forget that Quebeckers have a very strong military tradition.  Hell, it's even translated into the english side of things.  Every time the R 22eR is mentioned, they are referred to as "the famous (or famed) vandoos"
I've always wondered what exactly makes them famous  ???

PB&J... you have something to say about the R22R?
The press refers to them as famous..... the Regiment does not call itself by that term

Also....They have had their history, same as the RCR & PPCLI,  they have earned their spurs and are good team members that I have no problem having at my side when in a fight.

BTW - Many a time they are refered to as " nos glorieux"

von Garvin said:
R22R likes a good fight, like most other Combat arms types.

Just a question geo, maybe I should have asked "Why does the press always refer to them as famous"?

You'll have to ask the press

Might be the same reason as why my wife calls me ____________ :)

geo said:
You'll have to ask the press

Might be the same reason as why my wife calls me ____________ :)

Ohhh...gooodyyy...we get to fill in the blank?  ;D

:P
I figured that regardless of what I put in there.... I'd get ribbed for it.

They have stock phrases that they think resonate with the public. In many ways they sway public opinion in this way too. They always refer to Somalia as "the disastrous Somalia mission" or words to that effect. Lost in the suffle of course is all the good work we did there but hey the press never let facts stand in the way of a story. >:(

Surprising though that people here don't take any pride in their military - I would even say many have no respect for it and I'm not saying it to bash quebec or talking out of my ass. I'm a francophone from quebec city and I know what kind of looks one dressed in a green uniform gets. I have no real explanation for why we weigh more in the army than we do in the country, but I think it may partly have to do with tradition, as has already been pointed out.

Quebeckers don"t support anything that is Canada, ( O what the Canada dollar ! )  there a nation now !        :skull:

bilton090 said:
Quebeckers don"t support anything that is Canada, ( O what the Canada dollar ! )  there a nation now !        :skull:

I'm from Quebec.........

Don't paint us all with the same brush. I have served this country for 14 years, i dont deserve to be told i dont care about Canada, thanks.

CHIMO

edited for clarity

As a Quebecer from Québec city, I find sometimes that people around here has just no plain respect for our country or our army. They think, I my opinion, that they don't need the army.

For my self, I cant wait to start my BMQ for the reserve. I think it is the best job I will ever get.

As for the R22ER, they are famous for there taking part in WWII, the media around here does not always refer as them as "The glorieux". In Québec,if you ask people, A majority if not the total population wont be able to tell you a name of an other unit. I think that is why the R22ERare so popular. They have an history who is a little known at least. Also they are doing the guard switch in old Québec, a tourist attraction.

cdnaviator said:
I'm from Quebec.........

Come make your comment in my face and see how far that gets you. Don't paint us all with the same brush. I have served this country for 14 years, i dont deserve to be told i dont care about Canada, thanks.

CHIMO              People from Quebec are no better than the people from the rest of the Canada !
                            I take what you said as a attack on my person !

bilton090 said:

Bilton090,

Welcome to C&P.

My apologies if it sounded like a threat, was not meant that way, just didnt apreciate your comment.

It didn't sound like a threat to me.....just cause when someone spouts racist crap.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
It didn't sound like a threat to me.....just cause when someone spouts racist crap.

Well, i just wanted to be clear...........NEXT !!

Being an anglo, posted in Quebec is twice as fun. When first posted here, I went to my appartment to sign my lease during my lunch hour (therefore in combats). An older ladie spat on me and told me to get out of her country.  I just smiled and said have a nice day. I had no clue what to do... 3 months later as I was leaving for my flight to Trenton and onward to Afghanistan, the lady asked where I was going.  On hearing of the destination she got teary eyed and said her brother had died during the war and wished me good luck.

With that said, many around here (civvy), don't even know that the Citadelle de Quebec is oldest fully functional military base/fort north in North America.  Slowly though, as the soldiers from Valcartier leave for theatre I beleive that we will see a softening of the anti-military sentiment in the province. It wont become the supportive city like Edmonton, but it will improve.  I hope....

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back