• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Post-army civie occupations

patrick666

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello, I am moving back to Ontario in 2 weeks, and will be applying for Combat Engineer that very day. =)

I do not know how long I will be in the army and if I decide to quit and start a new career, what options are open for Engineers in the civilian world? And if you have no secondary education in that occupation, only army experience, what kind of record does that give you? I heard it was the equivalent of a college diploma.

Cheers,
Patrick

Patrick H. said:
I heard it was the equivalent of a college diploma.
It can take many years to get to that level.  Most of a career in fact. 

I've known of cbt engrs to get work in forestry, oil, and construction because of thier training.  A WO with the soils & roads trg could see himself as the foreman of a highway construction team.

Or you could be like many of our SSM/RSMs and become a school bus driver when you retire!  ;D

I am the Tom Walton of Wainwright! lol!

SprCForr said:
Or you could be like many of our SSM/RSMs and become a school bus driver when you retire! ;D
lol

Do you get to jack the kids up for non-issue kit?

:D

With the new TOS, you get 3 yrs to decide if you like it or not. if you don't like it your Tp WO will help you out.

I make the 2 i/c sit in the back. Then we get to practice mounting and dismounting drills. I'm having a problem with getting them to take up a proper fire position after the dismount though. :P And they refuse to stand still for the prep for battle inspection.

Demotions all around I say!  ;D

Just got a mental image of Schmeffo doing a Roy Keiler special... chasing a bus load of ritalin junkies accross a field with a broom handle.  "GET UP! GET DOWN! GET UP, MAGGOTS!!!"

CHIMO, Kat

http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/army/jobs_e.aspx

Click the link and look up Combat Engineers.

You will find that you will gain experience related to having a College Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology and similar diplomas.  

In Ontario atleast, you must be licensed by OACETT (Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists) to call yourself and work as an Engineering Technologist/Technician.  A College diploma in in either a Technician or Technology program is generally the best way of getting your certification, however, if you check the link below Military service may be enough to certification.

http://www.oacett.org/career/

2 years of work experience (1 in Canada) and an exam are required to be completed aswell.  I suggest you contact the OACETT and ask them how much military service as an Engineer is required.

If OACETT does not give you entry I suspect many College's around Canada would be willing offer advanced standing in terms not having to go through certain cources.  I suggest contacting some schools and talking to them about this.

You could always consider going PRes as a Cbt Eng and use the ILP (Independant Learning Plan) to subsidize your education expences.

I am working on this diploma myself right now in civvie land as part of a college-university transfere program.   Though I am not a Cbt Eng, I could see being one would teach a member about building materials , basic building design and water purification (I am not sure about geodetic surveying).

...and bridging, and planning, and road design, and drainage, and basic survey, supervising heavy eqpt, etc etc. Check the CMEA site for the latest word in accreditation, it only applies to 600 series, but I'm sure the school is working on the 043 side. I'm pretty sure the agreements the branch/school made with the BC CET Assn are in effect still.

SprCForr, does the accredidation go towards technician or technology?

I am pretty sure that Cbt Engr's don't learn how to use AutoCAD or Micro Survey.

Or do they?

If you stay in long enough and are selected for certain Explosive Ordnance Disposal courses that can open up employment as a civilian in that field.  It can pay well and you can travel.  Depending on your qualifications and actual skills it can range from sweeper to supervisor to instructor to the protection business.

Doh! I forgot an entire field! No Cbt Engrs do not learn how to use AutoCad or Micro-Survey. They may pick up the training if it is required on an individual basis. As for technician or technologist I'm not sure.

I do know one thing though. The tons of lurkers out there will probably know. So how about it lurkers? You know who you are and you know I know who you are!  ;D  :dontpanic:

Well there's geomatics.  This field has many civilian applications.  I believe 3FES in Ottawa is the only Reserve unit tasked to do this at this time.  Not sure about Regs.

Does anybody know the annual income of some of these vocations? Road design, bridging, explosives disposal, civil engineering, etc...

I am leaning towards a construction field of some type. I hope to gain appropriate powertool and machinery training in the army as I do not know a lot about them right now.

Also, what types of civil construction do the engineers participate in? What kind of national emergencies would they respond to? Ice storms and floods, etc... ?

Cheers,

Patrick

Dingbat said:
Well there's geomatics.  This field has many civilian applications.  I believe 3FES in Ottawa is the only Reserve unit tasked to do this at this time.  Not sure about Regs.

How much Geomatics does this unit do?

Do they take the theodolites out and estabilish entire surveying networks to begin finding elevation values of control station monuments and the azimuths between them?  For what purpose does this unit use geomatics (road construction, bridging maybe?)?

Patrick H. said:
Does anybody know the annual income of some of these vocations? Road design, bridging, explosives disposal, civil engineering, etc...

I am leaning towards a construction field of some type. I hope to gain appropriate powertool and machinery training in the army as I do not know a lot about them right now.

Also, what types of civil construction do the engineers participate in? What kind of national emergencies would they respond to? Ice storms and floods, etc... ?

Cheers,

Patrick

Check out the link I provided above.  In there somewheres is a table containing the average incomes of Civil Engineering Technologists and Technicians.  Generally the salary can vary between 35,000 - 80,000 with jobs varying between being a draftsmen to a construction manager.

Unless you were asking about military wages. They are available on the DND website.

J. Gayson said:
How much Geomatics does this unit do?

Do they take the theodolites out and estabilish entire surveying networks to begin finding elevation values of control station monuments and the azimuths between them?   For what purpose does this unit use geomatics (road construction, bridging maybe?)?

I have really no idea about the amount they do but that's 3FES's special tasking.  Maybe someone on the board from that unit could elaborate.

On that note, you can work overseas for civvie mine field clearance companies.. They makes the big bucks!!!!!!! (100 000$ a year...

But in order to transfer directly from the millitary to a civvie company in Canada, you'll have to requalify. Plus, it doesn't give you any direct equivalent diploma or qualification.
You get the knowledge from the engineers that's for sure, but think about those doctors qualified in one province but are not allowed to work in another prior to requalify...

My buddy's sayings...

Back