• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Platoons, Brigades, Divisions Oh My! How the Army & the CF are structured.

• Thread starter Thread starter leetch02
  • Start date Start date
L

leetch02

Hello guys,

I guess i have to work by questions, so can anybody answer this question? What is the structure of the Canadian Army? Is it like this?

Canadian Army ; - Land Force Command
(Ottawa), Land Force Western Area, Land Force Doctrine and Training System (Kingston), Land Force Atlantic Area (Halifax), Land Force Central Area (Toronto), Land Force Quebec Area (Montreal)??

What follows after in these categories? Is there squadrons? What are these names?(sectors of the Army) Where does the Princess Patricia‘s Canadian Light Infantry squad follow in? What other famous squads are thier in these sector? Are there sectors im forgetting? Someone plz help me as I am totally clueless about the structure of the Canadian Army.

Dude, your asking for a lot of info. All of this information can be found on the net, you need only look for it. I recommend you going into a recruiting centre and asking for a pamphlet on the structure of the CF.

FYI, there is no Land Force Quebec Area, it is called SQFT (Surete de Quebec Forces Terrestre), couldn‘t tell you where it was HQ‘d either, never really thought to check up on that.

Oh, the PPCLI are not a squad. They are an infantry regiment...

Try www.google.ca and type in canadian forces, see how many hits you get.

LFQA is acceptable, and SQFT means "Secteur du Québec de la Force Terrestre". It is HQ‘d in Montréal (Longue Pointe). :cdn:

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/LF/organ/armystructure/struct_index_e.html

That should get you started.

Bear in mind that the peacetime organizations being discussed here wouldn‘t apply to a field force engaged in combat operations abroad (I take it that is your real interest?)

Overseas, infantry battalions and armoured regiments would be organized into mechanized brigades, or mechanized battlegroups. It‘s been a long while since we‘ve had anything larger than a brigade serve operationally overseas - World War Two, in fact. We did have a First Canadian Division in Germany in the 1960s, though.

Even in the peacetime "sectors" as you call them, units are organized into brigades. 1st Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group (1 CMBG) is in Alberta, with an armoured regiment, infantry battalions and attached service elements - General Support battalion, MP unit, service battalion, etc.

Reserve units are also grouped into brigades - in Alberta, we have 41 Canadian Brigade which includes combat and support units from throughout the province.

Brigades are grouped into divisions, and divisions into corps. In WW II, we had a First Canadian Army composed of several corps.

Hey thank you very much, i finally researched and I am beginiing to understand what your saying. Now in a Regiment of infantry and a regiment of armour how many people does this consist of? What ranks follow in these regiments? (General Officers, Senior Officers, Junior Officers, and so follows?) or are there lots more units in these regiments? Understanding that for example The Ontario Regiment is an Armour reg. does it consist of only special crewmen? Thanks for your support all, and for all your helpful information.

A full strength unit in a war-mobilized unit will have several hundred people. In the infantry, it is called a battlion - usually divided into companies; Administration Company, A (or Alpha) Company, B (or Bravo) Company, C (or Charlie) Company and D (or Delta) Company etc.

A battalion is commanded by a Lieutenant Colonel known as the Commanding Officer (CO), his Deputy Commanding Officer (DCO) is generally a major, and he also has an Adjutant to handle administrative matters, he is generally a captain. The senior enlisted man in the battalion is the Regimental Sergeant Major (RSM), ranked as a chief warrant officer. He is in charge of discipline for the battalion, handles prisoner collection, oversees the training of the senior NCOs and even the junior officers to an extent, and a bunch of other duties when in the field and in garrison. The Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant (RQMS) is ranked as a master warrant officer and handles the battalion‘s stores. All of these are lumped into Battalion Headquarters and/or Administration Company. Admin Coy will also contain pay clerks, storemen, drivers, vehicle and weapons technicians, the signalmen (?), medical personnel (including the Medical Officer (MO) etc.

The battalion can also be divided into Echelons - F echelon being the Fighting Echelon - the infantrymen of the rifle companies or AFVs of the armoured squadrons, with other echelons being located to the rear - in WW II this consisted of A and B Echelon, not sure if this has changed much or not - A Echelon contained the company/squadron HQs, CQMS, etc., and B Echelon was the deep rear with battalion HQ, supply train, etc.

Each infantry company is commanded by a Major and his position is called OC (Officer Commanding), with a captain as a second in command (2 i/c). The senior enlisted man in the company is the Company Sergeant Major (CSM), ranked as a Master Warrant Officer. He controls discipline and administration within the company. The Company Quartermaster Sergeant (CQMS) is ranked as a warrant officer and looks after company stores.

The company is divided further into platoons - in a rifle battalion, generally three platoons. The platoon is led by a Platoon Commander, ranked Lt or 2Lt, with a platoon second in command generally ranked as a warrant officer (sometimes also called the Platoon Warrant, or platoon 2 i/c).

Each platoon generally consists of three sections and a weapons detachment. The weapons det contains the support weapons of the platoon - 84mm Carl Gustav, C6 machine gun, 60mm mortar. Each section is led by a sergeant Section Commander with a master corporal 2 i/c - I believe the current configuration is 4 C7 rifles, 2 C7 rifles with M203 grenade launchers, and 2 C9 light machine guns. Stuff like grenades, M72 anti-armour weapons etc. are distributed as needed.

An armoured regiment is similarly set up, though their companies are called "squadrons".

This is all theoretical, and apologies if I‘ve gotten any of it wrong - I‘ve never served in a full strength, full time battalion and am sure someone can correct me if I‘ve mixed up my WW II knowledge with current practices. That should get you started, anyway. In general, companies and squadrons are between 100 and 200 men apiece, with battalions/regiments generally having 600-900 men in them.

Hope this helps.

leetch:

A regiment or unit can consist of a number of battalions. For example, the PPCLI have three battalions, 1PPCLI, 2PPCLI and 3PPCLI.

In a reserve regiment, there is normally only one battalion, so this "level" of organization is not usually mentioned/counted. My regiment, the 48th Highlanders, call their orderly room the "BOR" or battalion orderly room, but there is only one battalion in the 48th.

Each battalion is comprised of one or more companies. In the air force or armour these are called squadrons.

The companies are further divided into platoons (or "troops" for armour, "flights" for air force, and I think "batteries" for arty).

A platoon is a basic building block unit of organization. They are headed by a junior officer (2Lt or Lt normally), and number about 30 members.

A platoon is further divided into sections, each of which may be commanded by a Sgt or MCpl. A section normally numbers about 8-10 men. I forget what term is used for units smaller than sections... basically you are never alone, though, you are always at least paired up with another soldier.

As I said, a platoon is normally commanded by a 2Lt or Lt. A company is normally commanded by a Capt. A Battalion may be commanded by a Maj or LtCol, and a Regiment is normally commanded by a LtCol or Col. A brigade includes several regiments, and is normally commanded by a Col. Anything above that is commanded by some type of General.

An infantry brigade would normally be 2 or more infantry regiments. However, since our army is so small, we normally organize things into "brigade groups". When the term "group" is included, this normally implies regiments of different branches or types mixed together. 32 CBG (Candian Brigade Group) includes 4 infantry regiments (Tor Scots, 48 Highrs, R Regt C, QOR), 2 armoured regiments (QYR, GGHG), 1 arty regt (7th Toronto), a service coy (25 svc, which includes 25 med coy, and 25 MP pl), and some other units (INT, supply, 32CBG HQ, etc.). I might have missed some.

Can someone point me to information on how the Army is structured. I have been searching the websites, but all I have found out is the major structures. Three Regiments - Three Battalions.

I also found this..
Army a group of Corps
Corps a group of Divisions
Division two or more Brigades
Brigade usually three regiments (armour)
or battalions (infantry)
Regiment
Battalion
a grouping of squadrons
a grouping of companies

Squadron
Company
a grouping of Troops
a grouping of Platoons

Troop
Platoon
the smallest subunit of horses or armoured vehicles
a grouping of sections (the smallest subunit of infantry)

From http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/structure.htm
But there are no numbers. Can any fill in the numbers per each level?

Infantry

Section 8 to 9
Platoon, 3 sections plus hq(30 to 35ish)
Company, 3 platoons plus head quarters. (125?)
Battalion is 5 companies.
Brigade is 3 battalions.
And thats about as much as we have heh

Ghost, I thought in the NATO military symbology used on maps, etc., that Battalion was used interchangably with Regiment, because they are essentially one and the same (although in the regs, a Regiment is composed of 3 Battalions).

Then, the next step up was a Brigade, although because of combined arms, it‘s usually a Brigade Group (mixed types of battalions/regts).

I think Division was next, which is about what the entire CF makes up if put altogether, I understand, possibly two (one reg force, one res).

After that you get into Corps and Armies, although I can‘t imagine Canada ever having a military that big again, at least not in my lifetime.

uhhhhh
*looks around*
maybe ;)

Anything above platoon i don‘t usually concern myself with. On excercises the higher the level (ie company or battalion or brigade) the more things slow down and the more screw ups occure. Thats looking at it from a grunt perspective heh

Dacier - I did not include numbers on purpose. What period of history are you referring to?

Most military organizations rarely have full strength units, in any event.

I thought in the NATO military symbology used on maps, etc., that Battalion was used interchangably with Regiment, because they are essentially one and the same  
Battalion and Regiment are not interchangeable.  Two "sticks" over the tac symbol indicate a Bn (or unit sized regiment), and three "sticks" indicate a formation sized Regt.  Most of the regiments in the CF are the size of a battalion and so they are marked as a  on the map.  

Those regiments which are larger than one unit are still not formations.  PPCLI, RCR, R22R, RNBR, etc will never deploy under a regimental headquarters.  They will always be battalions as part of a Bde.  For this reason you won't see Canadian units marked as Regiments on a map.  The same is true of most of our allies.

The Regiment indicator is typically used to indicate motor rifle regiments or tank regiments of armies based on the former Soviet system.

I suppose I was a bit too cryptic.

What I‘m trying to find out, is how the infantry battalions are structured down to the smallest squad. Present day.

The Battalions consist of:

3 x Rifle Coy (recently reduced from 4),
1 x Combat Support Coy,
1 x Admin Coy, and an RHQ.

Dacier

A platoon consists of three rifle sections and a headquarters.

The section is 8 men - generally a sergeant section commander, master corporal 2 i/c and corporal/privates for the rest

4 with C7
2 with C7 and M203
2 with C9

The platoon has a Lt or 2Lt platoon commander, a WO as the platoon 2 i/c, and the platoon HQ has a signaller/driver, a 60mm mortar, a C6 machine gun and an 84mm Carl Gustav as part of the weapons det.

i did a search and couldn't really find anything that relevant...

how exactly does the CANADIAN formation work, and by that i mean

Regiment>
Unit>
Company>
Platoon>
Squad>
(i know this isn't right, hence my question, how does the Canadian formation work?)

Starting from an individual soldier and moving up, here is an order of battle using my regiment, the LSSR as an example.

http://www.lssr.ca/orbat.htm

and the Canadian/British equivalent to a squad is a section.

In Canadian terminology, a formation is a grouping of units or subordinate formations.  Army units are referred to as battalions or regiments.  A brigade is a junior formation and an LF Area would be a higher formation.

The Combat Training Center is another formation.  Its subordinate units are the Infantry School, The Armoured School, the Artillery School, and the Tactics School.

2 CMBG, 31 CBG, 32 CBG, and 33 CBG are all formations of LFCA (which is also a formation).

Back