• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pics from Australia- from Bribie Island's Remberance Day 2009

1feral1

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Just thought I'd post these from today's ceremony here on the island.

It was well attended by our citizens of all ages, our veterans, and of course the politicians from all levels of government.

Defence and Police personnel were also in the crowd.

It was very well done.

OWDU

Some more pics.

The Army Cadets from 123 RCU provided the guard. The weather was fine, topping off around 30C, but the sun was a shocker.

Everyone that could stand, stood for the Last Post to be played by a single 12 yr old student from the Bribie Island School Band who did an excellent job.

In front of me was a 100% TPI'd old and weathered Viet Nam Vet, all alone, who with all his strength he could muster, got out of his electric well chair, and smartly stood to attention. It took some effort, but he managed unassisted.

I observed in silence as he got his balance, and sharply pressed down on his thumbs along an imaginary seem on his trousers, as if he was again young, proud and army green and 'on parade' from a war, 40 yrs not so long ago.

He was the first bloke I shouted at the bar, and we both enjoyed a frosty schooner of XXXX Gold together.

I am truly humbled around blokes like him.

Lest we forget.

OWDU

"I observed in silence as he got his balance, and sharply pressed down on his thumbs along an imaginary seem on his trousers, as if he was again young, proud and army green and 'on parade' from a war, 40 yrs not so long ago".

What a superb and touching description of a Veteran.

Rifleman62 said:
"I observed in silence as he got his balance, and sharply pressed down on his thumbs along an imaginary seem on his trousers, as if he was again young, proud and army green and 'on parade' from a war, 40 yrs not so long ago".

What a superb and touching description of a Veteran.

+1

And I also like seeing the photos.

OWDU, you are quite the writer, a very good write up as a whole.

SARgirl said:
OWDU, you are quite the writer, a very good write up as a whole.
^^
glad you guys had a nice day. Here rememberance day was pouring, wet, and cold. Eh, i'm not complaining. 

Those cadets seem very professional.

Back