• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pet. Vs Meaford

flash416

Inactive
Reaction score
Which one do you prefer and why?

I've never been to pet but have been to meaford. I think the worst part about meaford is the worn down feilds with those nasty holes.

Lets see.

Meaford:  Tank Ruts

Petawawa:  Tank Ruts, Black Bears, Moose, Black Flies, Horse Flies, Sand Flies, Deer Flies, Mosquitoes, Rocks, Trees, Sand, Swamp.

Gagetown:  Tank Ruts, Black Bears, Moose, Lamprey Eels, Black Flies, Horse Flies, Sand Flies, Deer Flies, Mosquitoes, Rocks, Trees, Sand, Swamps at the top of hills.

Shilo:    Tank Ruts, Black Flies, Horse Flies, Sand Flies, Deer Flies, Mosquitoes, Sand, Gopher holes, cactus, Poison Ivy.

Dundurn:  Tank Ruts, Black Flies, Horse Flies, Sand Flies, Deer Flies, Mosquitoes, Sand, Gopher holes.

Wainwright:  Tank Ruts, Moose, Black Flies, Horse Flies, Sand Flies, Deer Flies, Mosquitoes, Sand, Gopher holes.

Suffield:    Tank Ruts, Rattle snakes, Black Flies, Horse Flies, Sand Flies, Deer Flies, Mosquitoes, Sand, Gopher holes, underground oil pumps.

Aldershot:  Black Flies, Horse Flies, Sand Flies, Deer Flies, Mosquitoes, Sand.

George list is pretty good and acurate except meaford has a huge amount of precipitation (respecially in the winter, its why skiing in Blue Mountains is awesome).

I prefer Meaford.
1. I belong to LFCA TC Meaford
2. I live in this area
3. Too many bears in Pet. They are a real hassle at times because they are naturally domesticated and a real pest.
4. A bear chased me in Pet, I would rather not repeat that incident.
5. A big ole bear ran out in front of my car on murphy road, good thing my brakes worked well.
6. I had one ruck destroyed in an ORV by a hungry bear.
7. I have this thing for enjoying bears, only on TV or at the zoo though, not in person.

Meaford, switch Moose for Deer (alot easier on your car and you when you hit one) and switch bear for coyote (Alot easier to deal with unless in huge packs and your alone, unarmed and they're hungry).

Last exercise I was on in Pet, we had the GD troops doing "Bear Patrols" as part of fire picket. They carried a couple arty sims in order to scare them off if they came too close to the camp. They would wander right into Clement Hill Biv site, with approx 120 or so pers with Bisons and various vehicles coming and going. Not scared of humans at all. Just like the racoons and deer in Kingston....

So we're firing 203s out in Area 8 a couple years ago, and I hear...

Pl Comd: Check Fire! There's a fucking bear out there.

Me: Hey, yeah, I see him.

Pl Comd: You'd think with explosions he'd stay well away from this range... And he doesn't look like he's in a hurry to leave either.

Me: You know Sir, I could probably put a round near enough to him that it would scare him off, but not so close that it would get hurt.

Pl Comd: (Pauses, thinking)

Pl Comd: No. I don't trust you. I know you're going to deliberately nail him and say it was an accident.

Me: Who? Me? >:D

Wonderbread said:
Me: You know Sir, I could probably put a round near enough to him that it would scare him off, but not so close that it would get hurt.

Pl Comd: (Pauses, thinking)

Pl Comd: No. I don't trust you. I know you're going to deliberately nail him and say it was an accident.

Me: Who? Me? >:D

The fact that he paused means you almost had him!!!  ;D

George:

You forgot the cows**t at Dundurn, Wainwrong and Suffield!

Cheers,

tango22a

Meaford is way better than Pet... closer to civilization, nicer town, good skiing, close to Wasaga and Sauble beaches in the summer, Owen Sound has an OHL team... that, and Grey County rules! Except for Flesherton... pfffff

Bird_Gunner45 said:
Meaford is way better than Pet... closer to civilization, nicer town, good skiing, close to Wasaga and Sauble beaches in the summer, Owen Sound has an OHL team... that, and Grey County rules! Except for Flesherton... pfffff

Pembroke, the small city almost within Petawawa Town limits, has the Lumber Kings.  They were the first OHL team if my history is correct.......or was it the birthplace of the NHL.......Anyway, they have hockey too.  ;D

Petawawa has the Trans Canada Hwy passing through it, making for fast exits to Ottawa which is getting closer every day.  Skating on the Rideau Canal and the Senators. 

Petawawa also has:
Hunting and Fishing. 
Snowmobiling and Boating. 
Camp Ground, Golf Course and Yacht Club right on Base
White Water on the Petawawa River.

George,

We also have hunting and fishing, snowmobiling and boating, camp ground and a nearby yacht club. White water? Sorry the Georgian Bay is a REAL body of water. So real boating it is.

On fishing, we got awesome size salmon!

Do you have a car? Are you support staff or a student on a course? How much time off will you have?

I'm heading to Meaford pretty soon for course and quite a few gunners told me two rules to live by.

1) stay off of the grass
and
2) during your night nav's, if you are going to fall just fall...

A benefit to Meaford is that Wasaga Beach is nearby as Bird_Gunner mentioned ;)

NightSins said:
I'm heading to Meaford pretty soon for course and quite a few gunners told me two rules to live by.

1) stay off of the grass
and
2) during your night nav's, if you are going to fall just fall...

A benefit to Meaford is that Wasaga Beach is nearby as Bird_Gunner mentioned ;)
Black Bear beach is excellent - right on the base in Pet. Maybe not as many bikinis...

I've had more encouters with moose than bears: bull moose charging an iltis and young bull following us while laying a minefield - both got as close to 6 feet from us.

cheers,
Frank

I've lived at both bases full time (five years at one and three at the other) and been an incremental staff/student at both bases at various times. If you have wheels I think that you can find more fun things to do within a hour radius of Meaford (Tobermory, Wasaga, Collingwood, Owen Sound, Sauble, Barrie, Creemore Springs - beer,  etc). If you don't have a car, I feel that Petawawa has a little more to offer. Being car-less in Meaford for a weekend is almost as bad as being car-less at CFB Edmonton for a weekend.

Pet vs Meaford ?

( i think i just threw up a little)

Can i have another option ?

CDN Aviator said:
Pet vs Meaford ?

( i think i just threw up a little)

Can i have another option ?
Go army of the West: Edmonton, Shilo, Wainwright.

Tango2Bravo said:
Being car-less in Meaford for a weekend is almost as bad as being car-less at CFB Edmonton for a weekend.

But, at CFB Edmonton, do you not have public transit to take you into town? My understanding, from my sister, is that for a young single guy, CFB Edmonton has more to offer for off duty adventures than CFB Petawawa. Even if your parents are back in Ontario.
I would be interested in any comments or opinions.

mariomike said:
But, at CFB Edmonton, do you not have public transit to take you into town? My understanding, from my sister, is that for a young single guy, CFB Edmonton has more to offer for off duty adventures than CFB Petawawa. Even if your parents are back in Ontario.
I would be interested in any comments or opinions.

It's still quite a hike from the garrison to downtown or Whyte Ave. If you're unfortunate enough to be stuck in the shacks then you really would want a designated driver when heading out for a night on the town. Cabs are expensive.

Edit: But if you're looking for a better army base overall for young single folks, then Edmonton has no competition. It has lots of great bars and clubs, the West Ed Mall (useful if your fashion sense goes beyond Marks Work Wearhouse), girls (or guys, whatever suits you) who aren't in the CF, theaters etc etc etc. If your looking between Pet and Meaford, I'd say Meaford. It's closer to 'stuff' then Pet is.

Back