• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PATTERN 64 WEBBING

linddd

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on the pattern 64 webbing.
Thanks for the response.

Such as?

It was all cotton webbing with plastic buckles and velcro attachments for the suspenders and pouches.

The suspenders were a Y-strap of one-inch webbing with a thin two-inch piece joining the arms of the Y below the back of the neck. They did not widen out over the shoulders and had no padding. They attached to the plain 2.5 inch belt with one-inch strips that wrapped around the belt and fastened with velcro. These frequently became detached.

There were mess tin/utility pouches, water bottle pouches, a grenade pouch, Silva compass pouch, gas mask carrier, and pistol holster. These were cotton with a shiny coating applied to both sides. Much later versions lacked the coating, and I saw a couple of nylon pouches towards the end. Everything was held onto the belt with 2.5 inch wide sections of the same fabric stitched to the back of the pouch which wrapped around the belt and fastened with velcro. These frequently became detached.

The grenade pouch looked like a smaller mess tin pouch and had a section of the same material with velcro resembling the attachment device sewn onto the bottom. Nobody was quite sure what that was for, but it probably frequently became detached.

The pistol holster and gas mask carrier looked pretty much like the 82 pattern one. They, too, were hed on by velcro and  frequently became detached.

There were no ammunition pouches other than the C2 "bra" which carried four C2 mags. All other mags were carried in the combat shirt/jacket pockets where they beat against one, got jammed into painful places, and got lost.

Anything else?

It's a very broad question - the book TANGLED WEB is an excellent resource by Jack Summers.

There was also an entrenching tool carrier. Also a frog for the FN C-1 bayonet.

Craig

Oh, yes, I remember the entrenching tool cover now. I have a brand new one stashed away somewhere. I found it in a surplus store somewhere. I was never issued one, or an entrenching tool for that matter, and never saw anybody else issued one either.

Carrying a full-sized shovel stuck down through the back of the suspenders was not a good idea for many reasons, regardless of the rank of the person ordering it.

An entrenching tool made my life so much easier...In the right circumstances, it's invaluable  :)

We used to punch holes through the velcro attachment straps and tie the pouches directly on to the belt.  The 82 pattern was a god send if you ask me.
:warstory:

I only ever supplemented it with gun tape. I bought my own when I was in 4 RCR so I wasn't going to damage it, and I don't think that 3 RCR, with whom I did several exercises in the early seventies, would have approved. Punching holes was verboten in CFOCS or the Infantry School when I was there, and by the next time that I wore it I was aircrew and it wasn't subject to the same level of abuse.

I was never a fan of the 82 pattern, although it was much better. I have most of a set of the trial stuff that morphed into that and it was pretty bad.

Wierd.  We were taught to tie it on like that in the PPCLI battle school back in the early 80's
::)

BernDawg said:
Wierd.  We were taught to tie it on like that in the PPCLI battle school back in the early 80's
::)

RCR did what the book says while PPCLI did what works while beatting the crap out of thier equiptment back in the 80s!!! Wow some things do never change.

Back