• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OPME

TN2IC

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Okay folks, I just got in, on the OPME program. What courses have you taken or taking? And what did you enjoy about it? What pointers are there? This is my first educational course since high school. So it's been a bit for this cat.

Regards,
TN2IC

I've taken all of them and received my certificate a few years ago. I recommend starting with Military law or Defence organization. They are on the low side of workload and you know much of the material already through your years of service. It is a good way to get started, specially if you have been away from school for a while. The PER points are the same as the more intensive OPMEs.

I enjoyed most of them but the "Leadership and ethics" course was an assault on reason.

Due to the nature of the course I found that it was usually easier to get into the Mil Law and Defence organization ones.

CDN Aviator said:
I enjoyed most of them but the "Leadership and ethics" course was an assault on reason.

Great, that's the first one I'm taking and I start on Jan 9.

2010newbie said:
Great, that's the first one I'm taking and I start on Jan 9.

Same here. Plus military history. Going to be interesting, I do say. 

TN2IC said:
Same here. Plus military history. Going to be interesting, I do say.

For NCM's i usualy recomend spreading them out, one per year. Combine 1 OPME with the rest of military courses you take during a year and you max out PER points for the boards. Doing 2 at a time (which i have done) is a pile of work. Doing too many in a year doesn't gain you too much PER-wise. When you have everything done, then you gain each and every board ( granted that every trade assigns scores a little different).

CDN Aviator said:
For NCM's i usualy recomend spreading them out, one per year. Combine 1 OPME with the rest of military courses you take during a year and you max out PER points for the boards. Doing 2 at a time (which i have done) is a pile of work. Doing too many in a year doesn't gain you too much PER-wise. When you have everything done, then you gain each and every board ( granted that every trade assigns scores a little different).

Yeah, to be honest, this is my first time doing OPME's. And I was wondering the same. Thanks for the heads up.

Regards,
TN2IC

For NCMs, you get two points for having 2 OPMEs complete, and an additional point for doing one in a year.  I have heard of Boards giving the benefit of the doubt to pers who do their first two in a single year, giving them the full 3 points.  Bottom line though, get two done, and then one every year in order to max out on Board points.

Just curious who someone speakes to regarding OPME's. Obviously it is a CoC thing, but is it requested through memo form?

Hurricane said:
Just curious who someone speakes to regarding OPME's. Obviously it is a CoC thing, but is it requested through memo form?

There are a certain amount of Army, Navy and Air Force NCM on line seats for each season. Download and fill out application form from the OPME web site and have your COC sign it. Submit form and see if you get accepted. Depending where you work attach a memo or request stating why you want the OPME.

There is also the option of the doing all your OPME's in one shot in the summer at RMC. I attended the program last summer and there were are few NCM's on the course although mostly at the MWO/CWO level. If you can get it, it's a good opportunity.

jeffb said:
There is also the option of the doing all your OPME's in one shot in the summer at RMC.
I'd never heard of that. Does it provide employment for RMC profs (mil and civ) to instruct over the summer, or is still self-study?

jeffb said:
There is also the option of the doing all your OPME's in one shot in the summer at RMC. I attended the program last summer and there were are few NCM's on the course although mostly at the MWO/CWO level. If you can get it, it's a good opportunity.

Actually at certain bases Halifax, Esquimalt etc you can also do the onsite OPME with the exception of military law and military management. They are held each semester, you can do them piece meal or all four as previously mentioned. I find most units at least in the navy are hard pressed to let a NCM off work for a semester.

Chief Stoker said:
There are a certain amount of Army, Navy and Air Force NCM on line seats for each season. Download and fill out application form from the OPME web site and have your COC sign it. Submit form and see if you get accepted. Depending where you work attach a memo or request stating why you want the OPME.

Thank you for the reply Chief Stoker. Just one more question on the topic, are OPME's done on your own time? Or are they along the same lines as the online portion of PLQ, whereas your unit allows you time "off" to do it?

In some cases, you can do this in an actual class room with an instructor. Some units let NCMs take time from their regular duties to do this. This however is not always available. Most of the program is done by DL and this is done mostly on your own time. Some units have a bit of flex for you to do this during working hours along with the rest of your job.

My apologies for my abundance of questions. I was just reading up on the OPME site, and noticed that Introduction to Military Law and Introduction to Defence Management say "Distance Learning Only". Does that mean that those 2 only require the DL part, and does not include an On-Site or Residential portion? If that's correct, basically with 20 hours or so of hard Distance Learning could get these 2 out of the way?

Hurricane said:
My apologies for my abundance of questions. I was just reading up on the OPME site, and noticed that Introduction to Military Law and Introduction to Defence Management say "Distance Learning Only". Does that mean that those 2 only require the DL part, and does not include an On-Site or Residental portion? If thats correct, basically with 20 hours or so of hard Distance Learning could get these 2 out of the way?

What it means is that the two Intro OMPEs are only available through DL.  You conduct the whole course via DL.  With the others, most typically do them DL as well, but there is also the option to to them on-site or residential (at RMC or other bases as noted in an early post)

You do the Intro OPMEs on your own time and conduct the on-line exams when you believe you are ready.  Therefore yes, you could get them out of the way in a short period of time.

The others are more difficult to do on your own timeline (i.e. at a quickened pace), as they have discussions and assignments that are required throughout the course.

Hurricane said:
My apologies for my abundance of questions. I was just reading up on the OPME site, and noticed that Introduction to Military Law and Introduction to Defence Management say "Distance Learning Only". Does that mean that those 2 only require the DL part, and does not include an On-Site or Residential portion? If that's correct, basically with 20 hours or so of hard Distance Learning could get these 2 out of the way?

That's right they are only offered online, no on site or residential required. Not sure about the management one as I was PLAR's that one. The military law one I did on a long weekend. Keep in mind the other 4 OPME's are university level courses that give 2 reignited university credits.

airmich said:
What it means is that the two Intro OMPEs are only available through DL.  You conduct the whole course via DL.  With the others, most typically do them DL as well, but there is also the option to to them on-site or residential (at RMC or other bases as noted in an early post)

You do the Intro OPMEs on your own time and conduct the on-line exams when you believe you are ready.  Therefore yes, you could get them out of the way in a short period of time.

The others are more difficult to do on your own timeline (i.e. at a quickened pace), as they have discussions and assignments that are required throughout the course.

Thank you for the swift reply, I also notice that in the description for the "On-Site" that it states that On-Site must be completed as Modulars do not count as credits. Does that mean that I would HAVE to travel to Ottawa for On site classes, one night a week for the other OPME's?

Journeyman said:
I'd never heard of that. Does it provide employment for RMC profs (mil and civ) to instruct over the summer, or is still self-study?

It is not self-study and last summer there were 2 profs from RMC, 1 from Queens and another who was otherwise unemployed if I remember correctly.

Back