• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

On Dallaire

derael

Inactive
Reaction score
Although his opinions may differ from mine or yours I still find the lack of respect shown for now Senator Dallaire, a retired senior member of the Canadian Forces, appalling. Although I personally can do nothing about this, I hope some of you have the sense to rethink your comments as some of them are just outright rude.

But hey, thats just my opinion.

derael said:
Although his opinions may differ from mine or yours I still find the lack of respect shown for now Senator Dallaire, a retired senior member of the Canadian Forces, appalling. Although I personally can do nothing about this, I hope some of you have the sense to rethink your comments as some of them are just outright rude.  But hey, thats just my opinion. 

What exactly do you want me (or others) to rethink? Are you refering to a failure to add an honorific when speaking his name, or are you saying that a person is not allowed to make negative comments about him? 

Bear in mind two facts:
a) when you become a political creature and claim to speak as a representative of a segment of the population, you are open to criticism from other segments of the population.  Dallaire isnt the first person to be lambasted on this site, which has previously honoured Party Leaders, MPs, and famous other famous figures with a wide range of condemnation for doing or saying what are deemed to be stupid or outrageous things.  Being a Senator or a former CF officer does not protect you. 
b) when a person makes statements that lack common sense, especially when they should know better, they better expect some return fire.  As a former CF commander, some of the Dallaire's comments are outrageous and bring discredit only to himself.  The problem is made worse by the fact that other retired CF officers are out there (i.e. Gen MacKenzie) who do speak sensibly and are still respected, thus providing a standard that Dallaire has yet to live up to.

Everyone has to remember that todays Daillaire is not the Daillaire I served with in Valcartier and Lahr. The man has changed. I to have issues with what he has been saying but I still respect the person. I can only imagine what this man went through and I think it has drastically changed his thought process on issues that concern our military.
I also agree that when he accepted the appointment to the Senate, his spoken word is open for criticism from all, it comes with the salary and job.

+1 for the above.

2 Cdo said:
Okay, I reconsidered, Daillaire still equals failure. ::)
Others have said it better but at the end of the day, respect is EARNED not given and it's even harder to maintain that respect. Sorry the senator has not maintained that respect...

I don't really see the need to roll your eyes or develop some type of attitude. Care to live through his experience in Rawanda? Care to feel absolutely helpless about 800 000 people dying in a span of days and seeing it with your own eyes? That type of occurrence must change a man. Although some of his views may not be correct as we see them, I still believe there is something to be learned from his experience and first hand knowledge. As with all members of the Canadian Forces who have dutifully served our country, I believe there is a certain amount of respect that is earned that can never be taken away.

2 Cdo said:
, if that bothers you, too bad. :o

I'm merely stating an opinion as are you.

If I recall correctly he admits failure several times in the documentary "Shake Hands with the Devil". Then again I could be wrong. I'll have to watch it again.

derael said:
I don't really see the need to roll your eyes or develop some type of attitude.

Too late.  I think 2Cdo developed his attitude a long time ago. 

Care to live through his experience in Rawanda? 

A silly question.  Many of the older generation here you are addressing had friends who were there, or might even have been there themselves. 

Care to feel absolutely helpless about 800 000 people dying in a span of days and seeing it with your own eyes? 

I sincerely doubt that he actually saw all 800,000 people killed, but he likely saw a few dead bodies.  Maybe even witnessed a massacre or two in person, would have to go back and check his book to make sure.  He isnt the only one.  Try asking some of our guys from the Bosnia UPROFOR what they had to witness back in the 1990's.  Try asking some our guys in Haiati who got caught in impromtu street riots.  However they are not the ones making ill-thought comments, Dallaire is.   

That type of occurrence must change a man. Although some of his views may not be correct as we see them, I still believe there is something to be learned from his experience and first hand knowledge.

While Im sure you were impressed by the book he wrote, not everyone else is.  For every person who sympathized with what he suffered, there's another person who knows what happened there.  Its true there is something to be learned from his experience but the lesson isnt a good one.  If you talk like a fool, you're going to get treated as a fool.

As with all members of the Canadian Forces who have dutifully served our country, I believe there is a certain amount of respect that is earned that can never be taken away.

And how long have you been in?  You look at respect as a complete package.  That is not how it works.  I respect the man as an individual, respect him for his service, respected his rank while he was one, and respect his experience.  However, now he's a politician.  That usually results in a drop in respect no matter who you are.  Whatever.  What we are criticising is his viewpoint and his failure to maintain a consistent recommendation.  Just because he is a former CF member and officer doesnt mean we have to lean back and nod our heads as he spouts nonsense.

(edit - I see 3rd Horseman as beaten me to the punch...)

IIRC, Senator Dallaire blames himself for failing to stop the genocide (which was really the UN's fault for not listening to him), but he has not accepted the blame for the death of Belgian paratroopers under his command.

If I got this wrong, please correct me.  But regardless, since he has become an esteemed, unelected Senator, he has made a lot of asshat, partisan comments.

RangerRay said:
But regardless, since he has become an esteemed, unelected Senator, he has made a lot of asshat, partisan comments.

I was trying not to say that - thanks for falling on the grenade for me...  ;D

I believe the cost to have him as a guest speaker is $30,000. He bleed Rwanda dry as a topic now he has to find more material to justify his speakers fee. It hurts me to say this, as I served with the man on two bases, but he has to put the past to bed and be contented with his fat Senate salary. Let the past stay in the past.

Hopefully he wont suffer the same humiliation that Clinton suffered in 2004/2005 when he visited Winnipeg for a dinner speech.  Apparently not one person had bought a ticket one week prior to the event.  We had a great time ragging our U.S. coworkers about how they hadnt bought a seat so they could benefit from the words of a former President.  Eventually they got some seats sold, but what a kick in the teeth for Clinton.  I can see this happening to Dallaire if he doesnt change his broken record. 

derael said:
+1 for the above.

I don't really see the need to roll your eyes or develop some type of attitude. Care to live through his experience in Rawanda? Care to feel absolutely helpless about 800 000 people dying in a span of days and seeing it with your own eyes? That type of occurrence must change a man. Although some of his views may not be correct as we see them, I still believe there is something to be learned from his experience and first hand knowledge. As with all members of the Canadian Forces who have dutifully served our country, I believe there is a certain amount of respect that is earned that can never be taken away.

I'm merely stating an opinion as are you.

Sorry sonny, maybe with a little bit of time in the forces you can then judge me and my "attitude". As your fond of saying "I'm merely stating an opinion as are you.", yet you insist on somehow trying to change my opinion. ::) (Just for you)

You admire and respect Daillaire, I think he is a waste of rations and an embarassment as an ex-member of the Forces, and nothing is going to change either of our opinions.
If you ever make it through all your training and find yourself actually in command of an infantry platoon, give us a heads up, so we can request a cross posting to another company! :o

*Milnet.ca staff edit for site policy*

If I got this wrong, please correct me.  But regardless, since he has become an esteemed, unelected Senator, he has made a lot of asshat, partisan comments

And that is why he has lost so much credibility. Making speaches and opinion pieces on Rwanda et al, was fine as long as he kept in his lane. His point was taken and it was, I thought, a valid lesson learned about the UN and its' uselessness.

The moment he bacame a Liberal Senator, and started speaking to issues with a political slant, he became dead in the water.

Back