• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officers doing BMQ rather than IAP?

scoutfinch

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
For reasons of which I am unaware (although I suspect it is related to timings of courses and availability of instructors), I am doing a reserve BMQ rather than a reserve  IAP.  I have been advised that the Performance Objectives of the BMQ and the IAP are very similar, if not identical.

I would like to hear from any officers who have completed a BMQ in lieu of an IAP and whether they felt they were prepared for their CAP course upon arrival.

I would also like to hear from former/present CAP instructors to see if they felt the students who participated in a BMQ rather than an IAP were sufficiently prepared. 

Thanks tons.

I'm not exactly what you're asking for by way of a qualified expert but I can give you my opinion based on my own personal experiences. 

I was a reg force NCM and did my BMQ at St. Jean back in '97.  I have been picked up for UTPNCM and did my IAP last summer at St. Jean.  From this I can give you a comparison of the two, but will be unable to provide you with any insight into how either would prepare you for CAP as this is a course that I have not yet done. 

BMQ and IAP are quite different from my personal experience.  In BMQ we were basically taught to obey the word of command rather blindly and quickly.  As long as it is a lawfull command, obey it.  This is not to say that the same isn't true for officers it's just that the focus on IAP was all about being leaders and in setting the example for those who we will have the privilage to lead. 

I dare say that BMQ was more difficult from the physical perspective too.  We did a considerable number of more push-ups etc on my BMQ then we did on my IAP. 

I'll summarise it like this.  BMQ is all about followership, IAP is all about leadership and the OLQ's (officer like qualities - this got beaten into us [rightly so]).  An important note about this is that to be a good leader you must first be a good follower.  One important difference to note though is that in BMQ there is no small party taskings.  In IAP this is pretty much your main focus.

Thsnk you for the response.  I am departing for my third weekend and I am starting to worry as to whether I am going to be properly prepared for CAP.  Are you able to give me an example of a small party tasking?  I am hoping it is something that I have already conquered in my civilian life!

It's not likely something that you would have encountered in your civilian life.  The CF has a specific way to deal with providing information (orders) to it's troops that is generally known as the SMESC format that has the information metted out in the following way.

Situation
Mission
Execution of the task
Service Support
Command and Signals

Taskings would include such things as building a temporary shelter for a group of people.  Moving a heavy object from one place to the next, building a landing site for a helecopter, etc.... 

The taskings themselves are fairly inconsequential.  You are evaluated based on your performance as a leader.  This is something that will not be evaluated on a BMQ coure.

As an aside, the taskings have changed for IAP (based on my understanding - not fact), and are going to in the near future for BOTP (the second phase of officer basic training).

Still, I have no information that could help you wrt to CAP.

I am going tonight to my BMQ, and there is a 2Lt. on my course. I don't know why. You're not the only one, so don't worry.  :salute:

:salute:

Thanks.  In fact, there are three others on mine:  2 Ocdts (One with previous reserve experience, one with cadet experience) and another 2LT (who used to be a Reg Force Pilot!)

It's the norm for Army Reserve Officers.  There are more BMQs and they can be run locally, so there are savings and you can get the course sooner.  If I remember a briefing correctly, there is a 2 week? (10 day?) add-on course that deals with leadership principles and small party taskings.

There have been changes to both BMQ and IAP/ BOTP recently. First of all, you will not go from IAP directly to CAP; you will have to complete BOTP first, which is where, under the "new" program, most of the Leadership trg takes place.
BMQ and IAP are now (since last year) quite similar. Your situation is not ideal, but you cannot run an IAP for 3 people; and doing BMQ is probably better than waiting until next year...
After BOTP, you should be ready for CAP.

When the new BMQ(R)/SQ(R) and BOTP(R)/CAP(R) were first announced, the BOTP(R) was divisible into two parts of which the first was sufficiently common with BMQ(R) for the BOTP(R) qualification to be granted - with prior approval - on completion of BMQ(R) and a short (5 or 6 day?) supplementary package.  Circumstances may have changed since then.

Perhaps I can share my experience as I did both BMQ and CAP last year.
After you complete BMQ you will have to do a course which is BOTP part 2, at least that's what it's called in the reserves, this course is 7 days long.  The BOTP part 2 involves small party taskings, which basically means you learn to lead a small group of people to accomplish a task (this includes receiving and issuing orders).  It is a fairly easy course to pass unless you are completely out of it.
Then you will do your CAP.  In my opinion BMQ prepares for your CAP in so much as you can do all the basics (drill, C7, navigation).  Do not assume that CAP PT will be like on weekrend BMQ, it is much tougher than that, at least it was on mine.  You could help yourself get a head start by speaking to someone at your Regiment who has done CAP and can give you some pointers, learning the leadership and war principles and how they apply is probably a good idea as well, so is learning battle procedure.  But like I said the best people to help better prepare you for your CAP are those that have done it.

Hope that helps!

Cheers
Inf Off

Back