• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officer Training for NCM‘s?

• Thread starter Thread starter Patrick Park
  • Start date Start date
P

Patrick Park

Hey guys,

I have a question I‘d like to get answered. My goal is to become an officer but my grades from highschool shot down my chance at RMC. So I‘ve applied as a NCM for the infantry. Now After joining the infantry reg. force how do I go about training to become an officer? Can after a couple months I start taking classes in any spare time I have or what? Do I have to wait a specific amount of time? months? years? How can you start preparing to go career?

Also, at what point (or rank) do you stop sleeping in the ditches and call the shots? Not that I don‘t mind the dirty work, in fact I prefer it.

Lastly just a history question, can someone tell me if General George Patton was in infantry? Was he always in infantry? I‘m going to start reading up on him. His personality and strategies in taking back French North Africa fascinate me.

Thanks guys. I‘d appreciate it.

Even if you get your commision you‘ll still be rolling around in the dirt till about Cpt. just not as much and you would have to being an NCO. But you would be calling the shots.(for the most part. at a company, pl level) But until the big General promotion you will still have people calling the shots for ya

I believe that all officers require some sort of Bachelors Degree, at least. So, you would have to go to college toearn one. It doesn‘t need to be the RMC, but any degree from any reccognized University will do.

It is possible for NCO‘s to earn commission, but chances are not especially optimistic.

In my unit an NCM just got his commision last week. A lot of ppl however once getting in and putting in some time, decide that they dont want to be officers after all. If you joined to ****‘n have the challenge and be in the bush so to speak, meh, you‘ll find out, its completly different.

I joined because I‘m a leader simply put. Yes, I‘m proud of my competitive spirit and I believe if given the chance and the right audience I can bring the right recognition to the CF using diplomacy or a rifle. I joined because it‘s going to be my career, and even though I lack a lot of knowledge (which I will learn in time) NCM or Officer it doesn‘t matter, I‘ll rise to leadership eventually because that‘s who I am.

You can join the CF as an NCO, and later become an Officer.

You may not want to. Once in, you‘re going to have some powerful attachments to your way of life.

Leadership and excellence are present at all ranks. If you‘re a Private, be the best dang private in the forces. The Army needs outstanding NCO‘s just as much as it needs outstanding Officers.

Leave any and all pre-conceived notions behind. Join up, dig in, and work hard. If you aren‘t having fun, you‘re not trying hard enough.

Cheers-Garry

Patton was an armoured soldier. He commanded a force of Tanks in World War One as a Colonel. Then demoted to Captain in peacetime and trained up a tank force until the outbreak of World War Two where he started getting promoted exponentially to become a General. He was always a tanker though.

I could be wrong, but I beleive that Patton began his military career as a calvary officer before WW1.

Originally posted by Patrick Park:
[qb] Hey guys,

I have a question I‘d like to get answered. My goal is to become an officer but my grades from highschool shot down my chance at RMC. So I‘ve applied as a NCM for the infantry. Now After joining the infantry reg. force how do I go about training to become an officer? Can after a couple months I start taking classes in any spare time I have or what? Do I have to wait a specific amount of time? months? years? How can you start preparing to go career?
[/qb]
If you have joined the Regular Force as an NCM, then you will have complete your basic engagement first. That will be 3 years. Academic upgrading is available in the Forces but you may be too busy to undertake any for a while. In your third year you may have some time and you will know better what you want. If you haven‘t actually completed basic yet, this is all academic, pardon the pun.

Back