• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Not Just Another poll...

When you pack your kit in Ziploc baggies do you...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
geo said:
Vern,
Check.... still think it is silly excuse IMHO
I was looking at the logistik unicorp site and noted that there were ankle boots... so those are really safety boots?

With respect to the green stuff.... would imagine that someone would be able to apply same system as Logistik and deliver to the troops in a timely manner on a point basis... I always feel really stupid showing up at QM with worn out shorts & Ts...
like my old boxers with worn out crotches.... don't need a QM guy to inspect & decontaminate.

Well I just checked my Logistik account and the ankle boots don't show up for me?? Yes they are called safety boots because they are CSA approved and have a steel toe design.

Trust me, us Sup Techs do not want your old undies/socks/t-shirts either. We'd rather see a system where no exchange was necessary. We'd like to see an entitlement built in whereby every 2 years you are entitled to 5 more t-shirts, 5 more of all the socks and boxers, and 2 more pair of the long thermals.
We are doing this for the BTU. 4 each for all females once per fiscal year, I really don't understand why the same system can't be brough in for the rest of the next to skin items....let them hide out in your own garbage can!! If it were up to us to make the rules...they'd be a whole lot different!!  ;D

BSmith12 said:
The way I see it, socks are no more important than any other piece of clothing you need to haul around with you in your ruck.
then you are wrong.

paracowboy said:
BSmith12 said:
The way I see it, socks are no more important than any other piece of clothing you need to haul around with you in your ruck.

then you are wrong.

+1
Your feet are in combat boots for very long stretches, with very little in the way of ventilation. Frequently changing socks reduces the risk of developing ahtlete's foot, prevents "trench foot," and just plain feels better. Ask around, on ex it is very rare for a soldier to change their combats, but that same guy/gal will (try to) change his/her socks AT LEAST once a day, more if they get wet. It's not just about comfort, it's about hygiene and staying out of the meat wagon.

Cheers,
Pinky

dry feet are happy feet............. even if the rest is sopping wet.

and given the time to put on some clean dry socks... ohhhh a little bit of heaven!!

You could not be more right. I learned very early (on my SQ) that dry feet and a warm head make the body forget it's cold, wet, and tired. ALWAYS carry goretex socks, a change of wool socks (or new green ones + liners), and a toque. You'll thank yourself.

Cheers,
Pinky

Wow, this thread really took a hard left turn into tangent city

BSmith12 said:
However, socks provide the comfort for your beaten feet when you're on a long hike. I would put them separate from my other clothing because of this specific reason.
I meant to say that they were in fact more important. It's funny how you can think one thing and type something else in a rush.  :-\

Option A:

I use some spare C9 pockets from my patrol bag (for Socks, T-Shirt, Boxer) and Bren Gun pockets (for Combats T & B, fleece top, e.t.c.) Also carry spare socks in Resealable Ziploc freezer bags (and a Micatin Aerosol spray can, best cure for "shwetty n**s*** and "boot-band rot.")  ;)

I prefer to keep everything seperate and compartmentalized with ziplock baggies, and place the ziplock baggies inside a garbage bag.  That way when i change socks I dont have to expose my 2x spare shirts/1x spare combats to the elements.  I dont carry underwear in the field in spring, summer, fall, and usually just change my undershirt after 5 days lol.  However I change my socks/powder feet at least once a day

Grunt said:
I dont carry underwear in the field in spring, summer, fall, and usually just change my undershirt after 5 days lol.

If I were wearing $30-50 dollar Underarmour T-shirts and underwear, I'd only change them once a week as well.

Option A - that way I don't have to root around in my ruck when it's bed-time, and all I want to do is change into a nice, clean, dry set of gitch and socks. The dirty stuff gets crammed into the ziplock that the clean stuff came out of... then I wrap my combat scarf around the bag of dirty stuff, wrap the extra material around my head and VOILA - instant pillow/mosquito block.

dunno about you, but I keep my dirty damp laundry in a laundry bag.....
can be converted to pillow use in a flash.... but I want the stuff to air out and possibly dry out if at all possible.

If you keep your socks/tshirts/underwear in the same spot in your ruck every time (even separately packaged) you pack for the field, no need to root around...throw your hand in and it should be in the same spot it always is.

geo said:
dunno about you, but I keep my dirty damp laundry in a laundry bag.....
never had laundry bags yet on an Exercise. We don't have those kinds of facilities in a Light BN, most times. Dirty stuff goes back into your ruck. 2 - 3 weeks later, you may get a chance to do a laundry run, while the Ex gets recocked and rechambered.

PC... didn't say I would get a laundry run.... just using the bag as a convenient place to put all my dirty damp stuff all in one place.

geo said:
PC... didn't say I would get a laundry run.... just using the bag as a convenient place to put all my dirty damp stuff all in one place.
where did you keep a laundry bag? I've never had so little kit in my ruck that I had room for a laundry bag. Unless I was living out of Hard Shacks, and just commuting to the field, basically doing day training in a different Training Area, we've never had access to laundry facilities. We live out of our rucks and sometimes see our Kit bags on the last day, to change for the trip home.

A and B

One set all together, for the time you can change all.
(Just one grab, from the bottom of your ruck, under the spare Ammo, that also keeps it neatly pressed)

Separate, for those "individual changes"

And with the Variety of Ziploc bag sizes, there can be many variations.

PC...
without wanting to sound silly... kit doesn't multiply
where do I find room for my laundry bag? The same place as all my kit....
it starts out empty, I strip off kit that goes into the sack & put on kit that is in my ruck
Like everyone else....

I still don't follow. Where do you keep a laundry bag in your rucksack? We're talking about living out of your ruck. Do you always have access to your follow-on kit? That's the crux: I never have.

I think we're talking two entirely different type of Exercise, because I have no frame of reference to what you're talking about. My ruck is jammed with mission-essential kit, ammo, rations, and water. The only clothing I carry is socks, snivel kit, and more socks. I don't have any room for a laundry bag.

OK PC....
I'm stuck a wee bit higher on the food chain
so my kit load will differ from yours.

Don't drag along all that much personal kit out there
but I guess it'll be more than your load

Cheers!

okay, now I'm trackin'. I was really struggling to catch up.

Now, back to our young Pill-Roller. He's not going to have as much ammo, and I believe that most of his mission-essential kit will be in his medic back, so he should have more room in his ruck for clothes. However, he's already humpin' enough weight that extra uniforms and crap is just gonna slow 'im down.

I say he's best off stuffin' his socks in seperate baggies, ditchin' everything else aside from snugglies, and water-proofing EVERYTHING.

Back