• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Not Just Another poll...

When you pack your kit in Ziploc baggies do you...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Armymedic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
This is a serious question. I have done it all three ways throughout my career depending where and what I am doing. Now as a leader and role model, I have been asked by a keen young Pte which way is the best...

So lets see which of the three options (maybe there is more) is the most popular.

a. being a set of T shirt unddies and socks in one baggie,
b. being a baggie with unddies, a baggie with Tshirts, and a baggie with socks,
c. being packing a unddie and tshirt to gether in a baggie, with socks packed separate.

I picked option a, but I also have baggies o' socks seperate from shirts and undies. And, most of the time in the field, I don't wear undies or change t-shirts. Or pants. Or shirts. Wear 'em till they rot!
But, for garrison inspections and PT, I keep the ruck fairly packed.

I keep my socks separate. I see no use in exposing clean dry kit to the elements when I only have time to change socks. This way know if I grab a small bag its socks and a large one its a "hollywood Change" of all next to skin articles except socks.

In my Sock bag is a set of liners as well as regular. Why change one without the other?

Has worked for me for 19 years. Why change a good thing?

GF

Britney Spears said:
You don't need any of that stuff. Just bring more ammo! :D
Apparently that's what para does. Me thinks his rotted cadpat may have been the pair that walked themselves into my workplace last week. We'd had to fumigate....
Bet his 9erDs like me... "Stop!! do not enter the residence, get naked outside, double bag the kit and place into laundry room...grab a shower then let's get nekkid."  :)

Ditto to para - worst case add some footpowder to the nutsack when you change socks - (I got crotch rot 12+years ago and now cant go long w/o it re-occuring - yes I wash)

I also had some sealed individual ones (for defaulters  ^-^)

I keep it all separate. That way if a bag gets punctured I don't end up with wet everything. Haven't had one get popped yet, but better safe than sorry.

Cheers,
Pinky

armyvern said:
Apparently that's what para does. Me thinks his rotted cadpat may have been the pair that walked themselves into my workplace last week. We'd had to fumigate....
you know you stink when, after an 8 week camping trip, you strip the uniform off, and the dog rolls in it, like it were road-kill. "Geez, I dunno where you go, man, but you find the BEST places to roll in!"

Bet his 9erDs like me... "Stop!! do not enter the residence,
check.
get naked outside,
check.
double bag the kit and place into laundry room
check.
grab a shower
check.
then let's get nekkid."
not so much...

All QM staff should be receiving danger pay.  I say this because with the new boxers ad sock system, we have to turn them in for exchange.  I think you guys need to push from your end to have the whole next to kin cash sales revisited.  You never know who is a spiteful, non laudring, bad driver until you have a handle on his underpants.  I mean come on, I get the whole accountability issue, but let a guy buy more if he wants it, save yourselves from skin diseases.  A win-win to me.

Neither. Everything in the top pouch of my ruck is in a drybag. I don't individuall pack anything.

That  being said, the pair of socks in my tac vest is in a ziplock bag by themselves.

BKells said:
Neither. Everything in the top pouch of my ruck is in a drybag. I don't individuall pack anything.

What kind of drybag do you use? And how much does it restrict the space in your ruck?

Pte.Pinky said:
What kind of drybag do you use? And how much does it restrict the space in your ruck?

The wheeler's one. It doesn't restrict the space at all. The thing is huge. It's not a "waterproof"(see: submerge) drybag because it doesnt fold over itself 4 times and have a clip buckle, but it's infinitely more durable then garbage bag liners and serve the same purpose. I bought it because I was afraid when placing irregular items in the top pouch of my ruck that it would rip the garbage  bag liner and I'd be in trouble for the next rain storm. Works well. Cheap. Serves its purpose.

Bomber said:
All QM staff should be receiving danger pay.   I say this because with the new boxers ad sock system, we have to turn them in for exchange.   I think you guys need to push from your end to have the whole next to kin cash sales revisited.   You never know who is a spiteful, non laudring, bad driver until you have a handle on his underpants.   I mean come on, I get the whole accountability issue, but let a guy buy more if he wants it, save yourselves from skin diseases.   A win-win to me.
We have a big garbage can right inside our front door...the shitknicks never cross the counter to our side. I don't want them!! We can't push this from our end, as you are well aware that "cash sales" went by the way-side on 01 Sept 2004. I can receive payments now which are supported only by a loss report in which the member accepts responsibility for the loss and financial responsibility.
For those complaining that the cash-sales function disappeared...us Sup Techs did fight for it to stay, and for next to skin stuff to be available for purchase, believe me. And I still write up today why it should be brought back. But from the national view... I am only a Sup Tech trying to protect my job???
Perhaps it's time that all of you out there who are not on our side of the counter started fighting for this function and the ability to purchase extra socks and undies via your Chains of Command, perhaps then we would get somewhere..because the 911s have certainly tried. Food for thought.

Option A, the reason is that when you do need them, you want a clean set, and most times it is in the middle of the night and quite dark and I do not want to go through my ruck checking bags, old stuff is not bagged just the clean, and when I grab a bag it will not be three separate bags of socks, I have the wheeler bag as well, but I keep the set in a baggy as a precaution but mainly to grab a set.

Keep my socks bagged separately
have always gone into field with at least 2 spare pairs (and footpowder) on my person and have never been dissapointed.

Over a year ago, they had said that green Tshirts were supposed to be added to Clothing on line... still not there but it & the remainder of green undergarments should be on that....

geo said:
Over a year ago, they had said that green Tshirts were supposed to be added to Clothing on line... still not there but it & the remainder of green undergarments should be on that....

That was their original intention. But Logistik Unicorp (the civilian company that makes our DEU) didn't want to be mailing and stocking items that were not made or provided to DND/CF by their company. That's why the ankle boot is not available on-line either, as it is not produced by that Company.

Thus the reason it and the other next to skin items became exchangeable....  :-[

frankly, I think your youngster is best served keeping everything bagged seperately. If one bag tears, he doesn't end up with everything wet. Also, the more bags, the more air pockets. He may well end up with a Light Battalion. And you, better than most, know how much we love to cross rivers, creeks, sloughs, swamps, lakes, bays, ponds, and swimming pools.

Vern,
Check.... still think it is silly excuse IMHO
I was looking at the logistik unicorp site and noted that there were ankle boots... so those are really safety boots?

With respect to the green stuff.... would imagine that someone would be able to apply same system as Logistik and deliver to the troops in a timely manner on a point basis... I always feel really stupid showing up at QM with worn out shorts & Ts...
like my old boxers with worn out crotches.... don't need a QM guy to inspect & decontaminate.

I voted for option C.
The way I see it, socks are no more important than any other piece of clothing you need to haul around with you in your ruck.
However, socks provide the comfort for your beaten feet when you're on a long hike. I would put them seperate from my other clothing because of this specific reason. This way you can save more space in your ruck by having two bags, instead of three or just one over-packed bag. If your feet aren't comfortable, you're in trouble.
A big hello to the Army.ca community, this is my first post and most certainly not my last.  8)

Back