• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

no longer in demand?

Devi

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey,

I was browsing the recruiting website today and noticed that infantry and combat engineer are no longer under the "in demand" heading. Does that mean the canadian forces are not looking for people to pursue these areas???

No, it just means that there isn't as pressing a need to fill those positions now.  CF members leave all the time so there is always a spot to be filled.

For instance I got offered a position that wasn't tagged as "in demand".

I just double checked the CAF website and these positions are still placed under the "In Demand" section.

VillaFan said:
I just double checked the CAF website and these positions are still placed under the "In Demand" section.

Just curious if you checked when that webpage was last updated? 

The CFRC would have more up to date info on what the CF requirements would be.......[Edit to add] if they keep up to date on their incoming messages.

Well it makes me think of what my interviewer told me (about officer training) not too long ago. Of course, at the end of the interview when they say they'll recommend you for officer training, the captain said my chances for infantry officer might be slim (less positions) but armour and artillery are wide open.

ChristopherRobin said:
chances for infantry officer might be slim (less positions) but armour and artillery are wide open.
It's not that there are less infantry positions, it's more a case of who'd want to be armour or artillery?  >:D

;)

Recruiting site (http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca) is saying that infantry & engineering positions are not in demand but the other combat trades are.. artillery, armoured.  Sigs seems to be in demand as well, along with some naval trades.

(post is not in response to Journeyman) :P

Thanks to all for the responses.

I checked out the page again (http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/jobs/elements_en.aspx?element=0&bhcp=1) and those positions are still not under "in demand." Maybe some of you are looking at a different website. Anyways, i understand the issue.

Btw, what's wrong with armour/artilery, journeyman? Or maybe you're an infantryman...:)

on a side note here people, everyone in the CF is trained as a soldier first, so, despite the fact that infintry may (or may not) be closed, you are still trained as a basic infintry soldier, thats the goal of basic training, (Or BMQ).  With that being said, anyone who is BMQ and SQ Qualified, can be deployed, all army pers are required todo SQ after BMQ, currently standing the BMQ is 13 weeks, and SQ is dropping down to 3 weeks, this is in part for the great change, which is to make BMQ 17 weeks, and phase out SQ.  This 'IS' the goal, according to the staff at my BMQ, I was on the first 11 week course, and since then, it has gone up to 13 weeks, and it is slowly getting bigger and bigger to 17 weeks as its total goal.

Things you will learn on SQ.

Advanced C7 training
C6 Weapons Handling
C9 Weapons Handling
Field Burial Rights,
Laser Handling (and safety)
Grenade Handling and Usage/Safety
If in winter, you will get winter warefare qualified as-well (thats me ;) )
Among other things, plenty of PT and early mornings.

Though with SQ on its way out for a longer BMQ, it will be more likely that all these will be apart of your BMQ once SQ is phased out.

In anycase, my point of this was to tell you that Despite the fact that 'infintry' may not be in demand, that doesn't mean anything, because nomatter what trade you are, you are a soldier first, and will be expected to know and execute the basic infintry training you were given in your BMQ.

Also, in-demand isn't the same as closed, when a trade becomes closed, thats when they nolonger higher, and that is when they have an extra surplus of people.

Ie, a trade that is supposed to have 2000 people has 2700, they close it, so that they don't keep flooding the trade. normaly they only allow overflow like that when there is an expected large amount of retirements.

;D

Getting higher and getting hired are two different things.  If you want to get high you shouldn't be looking into joining the CF.  If you want to get promoted higher, you should improve your communication skills.  If you want to get hired by the CF, you will need to be educated, patient, innovated and use initiative...... along with many other skills........patience being a big one.  (but don't become a patient  ;D )

Back