• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New to forum

• Thread starter Thread starter TuRkIsH
  • Start date Start date
T

TuRkIsH

Hey all,

Just droppin by to say hey and that i‘m the newbie in town ahahah. So go easy on me in case i ask a really stupid question without realizing it :-). Just curious about one thing, in the whole trainig bit for recruiting how much emphasis is there on swimming since i really am not the strongest swimmer and will i be able to get some training in case my swimming isn‘t up to snuff? :confused:

There is no swimming involved in the recruitment process. Though it is great for improving/maintaining cardio vascular fitness, which you ARE tested on during recruiting.

I belive you must swim during basic training at some point. No they don‘t train you. It‘s recommended that you take lessons prior to attending basic training. Swimming "well" is not a requirement, if you‘re not applying for the navy or combat arms I wouldn‘t worry too much about it, though obviously it wouldn‘t hurt to learn anyway.

Ok great thanks for the info mate, yea it certainly wouldn‘t hurt to get some sorta extra lessons or something. Thanks again

You may want to check out this link:
http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/html/careers/getting_ready/fitn_guid.html

"Swimming - During Basic Training, you must also meet the military swim standard. This test involves jumping from a 3 meter board wearing a life jacket, then swimming 50 meters. You must also somersault into the water without a life jacket, tread water for two minutes, then swim 20 meters. If you cannot swim now, you are advised to take a basic swimming course before proceeding
to training."

It seems if you don‘t know how to swim or are not comfortable with swimming, then lessons or at least familiarization is necessary.

Swimming‘s not such a huge deal. A few of us couldn‘t swim in basic. They took us aside and gave us pointers and let us practice while the others were doing exercises in the other half of the pool. If you don‘t pass the swim test, you‘ll just be put down as a "non-swimmer" and I believe you‘ll have to take swimming lessons when you get to your unit.

on my course, we had two people who did not pass the swim test. They were still able to participate in the assualt river corssings, they just had to put red tape on their webbing anf life jacket. That was so that, if there was a problem, they could be rescued first.

During the swim test in basic, what do you wear?
I have started a swimming program, and have already tried the same test in the pool at the YMCA. I did fine in swim trunks with no time limit, but I want to know how you are tested on basic.

Thanks

During the swim test on my basic course we had to wear our combats. But barefoot, no boots or socks.

Hi, it‘s The Young One again...I just have a question for Combat-Medic...How can one become a Medic in the infantry??? Do you have to have the background for it before joining the Forces; or does the Army offer it to people who are interested???(If my assumption is correct because of the name you are using)

-The Young One

I went through BASIC in ‘89 and am classified as a non swimmer.....I transferred to the navy in ‘94 and believe me there are a lot of sailors that cannot swim.

really lots of people can‘t swim in the navy, wow. I would have throught that would be a must for the navy.

Back