• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Rules for Officer Candidate?

romeokilo

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all,

I applied to MARS/Pilot/Armoured (my 3 choices) sometime late summer. Completed my CFAT in early fall and medical in late September. Then I was told that as I have not been in Canada for 10 years and I am MARS candidate, I needed to do an out of country background and criminal check. So I went along with that process. That was in late October.

Today I got a call from the CFRC and the Cpl told me that new rules did not require me to do an out of country check as I had been here for 5+ years, and my immediate family is here as well. He told me that I should come and fill out a "new reference check form" (quoting him directly) and as my medical and CFAT are still valid, I would do an interview and then he'd "try to find me a job" (His words again).

Two questions arose in my mind:
Does any one know about these new set of rules? Has any one gotten such a call?

Does anyone know what the relative dates for NOAB are for 2009? (In terms of a particular month or part of the year)? I need to know as that will dictate when I should quit my current job.

Thanks for all responses, much appreciated!

The only REAL problem I see here is why you chose MARS over Pilot and especially Armour  ;D

Quag said:
The only REAL problem I see here is why you chose MARS over Pilot and especially Armour  ;D
The Chinese don't have a blue water navy, so when they finally invade the west, MARS will be a-okay =D

starseed said:
The Chinese don't have a blue water navy, so when they finally invade the west, MARS will be a-okay =D

Perhaps you need to do some research.

romeokilo said:
Does anyone know what the relative dates for NOAB are for 2009? (In terms of a particular month or part of the year)? I need to know as that will dictate when I should quit my current job.

I am sure a quick call to the recruiting office will answer this question, but if not please pm me and I will get the answer for you.

George Wallace said:
Perhaps you need to do some research.
I realize fecetiousness is harder to detect in text form, but did such a blatantly false statement not even make you wonder???

Though to be fair it's almost true given their complete lack of carrier, and therefore force projection, capability

starseed said:
I realize fecetiousness is harder to detect in text form, but did such a blatantly false statement not even make you wonder???

Though to be fair it's almost true given their complete lack of carrier, and therefore force projection, capability

They have been building a bridge across the pacific for over a decade, have you not heard?  ::)  :P

Marshall said:
They have been building a bridge across the pacific for over a decade, have you not heard?  ::)  :P
The first thing I thought of when I read that was the simpsons episode where they show the escalator to nowhere

starseed said:

You might want to re-think that.

CDN Aviator said:
You might want to re-think that.
And why would that be? If you'd care to imbue knowledge, rather than just imply the lack thereof, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts on the matter. Mine are that since every campaign or action fought since air power came into existence in which it was available to either or both sides it has been extremely important to the point of being decisive, the lack of ability to project air power (Carriers.) equates to a lack of ability to project force at all. If Rommel were alive, he'd be saying "I was right about Normandy, and so is Starseed!!!"

edit: thread thoroughly derailed. Looks whatcha made me do ><

starseed said:
And why would that be? If you'd care to imbue knowledge, rather than just imply the lack thereof, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts on the matter. Mine are that since every campaign or action fought since air power came into existence in which it was available to either or both sides it has been extremely important to the point of being decisive, the lack of ability to project air power (Carriers.) equates to a lack of ability to project force at all. If Rommel were alive, he'd be saying "I was right about Normandy, and so is Starseed!!!"

edit: thread thoroughly derailed. Looks whatcha made me do ><

I guess that depends on what kind of power China was looking to project.  Using a carrier battlegroup in foreign waters would be one edge of the extreme.  There are ways to project power without a carrier, though the carrier does seem to trump all at the moment.

However, I dont think the original poster should base his MOC around weather China plans on invading Canada in the near future.  I also think he should continue on his path of being a MARS officer (ahem, a little shameless MOC self promotion never hurt anyone right?)

romeokilo said:
does anyone know what the relative dates for NOAB are for 2009? (In terms of a particular month or part of the year)? I need to know as that will dictate when I should quit my current job.

The dates for the next NOAB are 16-20 Feb in Esquimalt, so if you have not heard from the RC then I would call them very soon. Best of luck.

ltmaverick25 said:
I guess that depends on what kind of power China was looking to project.  Using a carrier battlegroup in foreign waters would be one edge of the extreme.  There are ways to project power without a carrier, though the carrier does seem to trump all at the moment.
This is true, but my point is that if you don't have air superiority it's all moot...therefore, as you say, carriers are the trump card until aircraft become so fast and long-ranged that land bases can substitute.
However, I dont think the original poster should base his MOC around weather China plans on invading Canada in the near future.  I also think he should continue on his path of being a MARS officer (ahem, a little shameless MOC self promotion never hurt anyone right?)
Indeed and I apologize for derailing this thread so badly

starseed said:
And why would that be?

There are many ways to project power at sea. China does not have a carrier (yet) but it does have the others and they can carry a boatload more firepower than a carrier can and have many other advantages.

Besides that, China has more than capables forces to project power in the region without talking about naval power.

Back