• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

navy reserve to army reserve

steven18

Inactive
Reaction score
I am currently in the navy reserve as an ncm (nciop trade) and i'm going to army reserve as an mechanical engineering officer. My resquest has been accepted by the BPSO and my file is presently at the army unit. They want me to do an interview with the unit, surely in front of the captain, and i'm wondering if it's almost sure that i get in and this interview is only formal or it's gonna be very decisive if i get in or not....because i thought that i only had to do the interview once for the BPSO...anyway they told me that they gonna contact me after my contract with the navy because i'm currently on the HMCS Shawinigan until mid august and i go back home...

thanks for your reply!

Steven

steven18 said:
I am currently in the navy reserve as an ncm (nciop trade) and i'm going to army reserve as an mechanical engineering officer.

Do you mean combat engineering officer??

no this is a trade in the mechanical and electrical engineering branch...so the trade is called electrical and mechanical engineering officer

yeahh rigth that! EME officer! :) i have only to get a call from the unit to do an interview with the commanding officer and i'm in! i espect to get a call at the end of august...i wish though!

steven18 said:
yeahh rigth that! EME officer! :) i have only to get a call from the unit to do an interview with the commanding officer and i'm in! i espect to get a call at the end of august...i wish though!

Then change your avatar pic from
Tac%20Sign%20-%20Armd%20Engr.JPG
which denotes Armoured Engineers to
Tac%20Sign%20-%20Maint.JPG
Maintance (closest thing I could find in the avatar bank)

heh.... still time to change your mind and apply to become a combat engineer :)

steven18:
            The BPSO is making certain that you have the basic requirements for the new occupation, and for commissioning.  Many (all?) Army Reserve units conduct an interview as well, as part of an Officer Board, similar to what the Reg F Navy Officer's Assessment Board is conducted.

The rationale for the interview is normally there are several people applying to be officers in the unit, so this board/interview is a method that the unit to rate the people applying, and select the best one.

So - will this make a difference to you?  Depends if the unit views this as a paper work thing, or if there are several people applying to be officers at the unit.  In either case, it can make a difference . 

This is the same as any other job interview.  Do your homework - what is the role and function of the unit?  What are their requirements for their officers?  How do they dress when at the unit, but not on duty (eg - the Mess)?  Is the interview in uniform, and if so, which uniform? 

Good luck on your interview.

BC Old Guy:
Thank you for your  reply it is a lot more clear now! But as far as I know, according to the recruitment of the unit, there's no other appliance, and if yes, it is not since a long time. I think it's gonna be more as a paper work. I have a friend who was EME there and he transfered to the unit in Moncton letting only 1 EME at the unit i'm applying.
So, do you think they will take me for sure rigth away after the paper work or they will wait a lil bit more to see if there's gonna have other appliance.

I consider I have normal results at university (1 year and half completed in mechanical engineering) no big scores..I have always around B and some around C no A and because it is my first year in the navy as a leading seman (corporal) my experience in leader ship is not that strong but i know i have a lot of leadership...i am responsable of a project at my university, i am in a hockey team since this year and i do martial art (aikido)...So just wish that the commanding officer will trust me!

He does trust you - if he didn't he wouldn't bother to set up an interview!

Don't assume that this will be an easy process - it'll depend on the experience of the people at the interview, and what they hope to find out about you.  Remember, they will be giving you a lot of responsibility for their equipment and their people, so they want to make certain that you'll what you say you are.

geo: noo i won't change my mind! 8) EME officer is right in my field of study! i can't wait to do the EME elementary course in borden after army common phase!

BC Old Guy: that's true! you are rigth! i guess the only thing i can do is to call them when i'll be back of my contract to confirm i am back in quebec even if they already know my incoming date and then do my best at the interview! my friend who did the interview there told me it is really easy questions and he got in very quickly after...but as you say it depends always how many people applying at the same time!

i have another question...because i am leading seaman (corporal)will i skip one part of the basic training like IAP? And i know that we do the basic training training and the army common phase in Gagetown because we are reserve but how long does it last for both phases?

steven18 said:
i have another question...because i am leading seaman (corporal)will i skip one part of the basic training like IAP? And i know that we do the basic training training and the army common phase in Gagetown because we are reserve but how long does it last for both phases?
The initial training for a Reserve CSS officer is this.  First the officer generally takes BOTP part 1 (BMQ with the Ptes), usually during the fall or spring.  BOTP part 2, is a leadership add on for which I don't know the length.  After BOTP, comes CAP, which I don't know much about.  It is possible to complete BOTP and CAP in the same year.

are you telling me that the BMQ in the army reserve is Ocdt and privates in the same course?

that's fine though! and BOTC part 1 is then the same length of ptes and i read that part 2 is only one week!...for the CAP its only the first month with the reg force that we have to do! the problem is that if i go reg force after i have to do all over again with even more weeks of training to do :(

Back