• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy Days 6-7 Oct 06

navymich

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
navydayslogo_s.jpg

More info here.  (There's even Army and Air Force stuff too!)

AWESOME!!

Oh, hang on, it says "YAG harbour tours" - - I thought there were going to be yak rides  >:(

Journeyman said:
AWESOME!!

Oh, hang on, it says "YAG harbour tours" - - I thought there were going to be yak rides  >:(

Depending on the weather, they could very well be yak-ing going on.  ;)

I'm all for getting into the community......

But couldn't this have been planned on another weekend?

These guys lose out on their long weekend just so they can hang out and have some fun...

BZ to A channel, I nearly snapped when I first watched that ad, nice work.... I can understand running it once then changing it, but it keeps on running...........

From this past week's Lookout: http://www.lookoutnewspaper.com/archive/20061002/index.shtml

Instructors from Fleet School are using simple, interactive exhibits at next weekend’s Navy Days to demonstrate the complex work of today’s Canadian Forces sailor.

Twenty-first century hull techs, stokers and electricians are tasked with fixing and maintaining intricate machinery that requires a high level of mathematics and physics. To demonstrate some of the principles behind their work, each section is bringing a few simulators, which the public can try.

Hull technicians have a stability tank with a mini ship inside to show the effect gravity and weight has on a warship. Their trade is responsible for maintaining the ship’s balance through careful distribution of storage and liquid cargo.

“Depending on where you place the weight, it affects the ship’s stability,” says instructor PO2 Frederic Torres.

Stokers will set up a hydraulic system, a refrigerator trainer, a cutaway of a diesel engine, and a real gas turbine with a boroscope for a unique look inside. As well, the electricians will have an electronic display to show the interaction of motors and electronic devices.

“It will be the most detailed look at the navy for the public. We’re pretty much bringing the navy to the public,” says PO2 Torres.

Sharing the Fleet School space at Ogden Point are Combat System Engineering trades. They’ve created a one-way walk through display that highlights weapons, radar, sonar and communications technology. As a grand finale, people can participate in an interactive game of “Battleship” using the ship’s actual weapons and sensor systems to further illustrate what the Combat Systems Engineering trade is responsible for maintaining on board. The whole “game” will be played out on two large projections screens with larger-than-life audio/video.

The message instructor PO2 Kevin Whittle wants to express to the public as they pass through his display is, “The navy is a great opportunity."

“You get great education, stability, and life experience. As a student, you can make up to $30,000 salary, without student loans, and with opportunities to travel the world upon completion of your courses.”

CPO1 Mike Howlett, Damage Control School Divisional Chief Petty Officer, wants the public to see the intensity of fighting a fire or flood should a situation arise in a warship. He’s bringing the Damage Control School Olympics to the event, and using two specially created mini helicopters as the first leg of the race.

The little helos will be set ablaze, via a portable propane tank and smoke machine, to simulate an engine fire. Two teams of eight sailors will put out the fire and rescue a member of the flight crew. Once removed from the cockpit, the casualty will be turned over to the casualty clearer for first aid. After that, teams will seal up a hatch as water floods inside a mock compartment. They will also do repairs to a leaking door and bulkhead.

“Everything we work on is on the ship. This is what we do to combat that damage,” says CPO1 Howlett.

They’ll also use skinner clamps to repair a pipe, connect a hose to it, and, using a pump, fill up a plastic barrel with water.

“I jumped at the chance to showcase damage control,” says CPO1 Howlett. “People don’t fully understand what can go wrong in a ship, how little time we have to react and the comprehensive training we have to combat a fire or flood.”

The Olympics will take place twice on Friday and three times on Saturday. In-between the games, the public can try out their thermal imaging camera and other damage control equipment.

CPO1 Howlett has nothing but praise for his staff's effort to ensure thier display is tops.

"The untiring efforts of my staff here at DC Div and at CFFSE who, on top of instructing and the million other taskings, are making time for, and volunteering to assist in any capacity I ask."

As I am away from home right now and unable to attend the event, I am looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing comments about how it went. 

Flew down over the site yesterday and put on a good show.  I hope the people on the ground liked it.  I must admit it didnt look very crowded at the time, not sure how much attendance the whole event generated.

Well I'm sure they will be lots of people cause I had a hard time booking my room for the marathon in Victoria.
Is navy day only today or also tomorrow?

Sub_Guy said:
BZ to A channel, I nearly snapped when I first watched that ad, nice work.... I can understand running it once then changing it, but it keeps on running...........
I knew Bruce Williams from a few years back.  Good to see he is still an a##!

cdnaviator said:
I must admit it didnt look very crowded at the time, not sure how much attendance the whole event generated.

Just under 10,000 attended Navy Days.  We had around 10 people sign the dotted line that day reg force, so a recruiter told me, which was great to hear.  The people who did go seemed to have nothing but great comments about it.  The only negative feedback I heard was the protesters and lack of parking, but in Victoria, if people can't park RIGHT in front of an event, they have issues with parking...

T

EDIT:  Remove excess smileys

Torlyn said:
Just under 10,000 attended Navy Days.  We had around 10 people sign the dotted line that day reg force, so a recruiter told me.  :)  The people who did go seemed to have nothing but great comments about it.  The only negative feedback I heard was the protesters and lack of parking, but in Victoria, if people can't park RIGHT in front of an event, they have issues with parking.  :)

T

not just in Victoria....same on this coast

I heard the Hippies were gearing up for some sort or protest.  Does anyone know if anything happened?

Raging Grannies (I believe that's the name) showed up for about 2 hours on Saturday.  No biggie.  They stayed outside the grounds and sang a few songs.  Refused the water offered by Navy Days staff (something about the carcinogens in the plastic).  There were two Quebécois present, handing out leaflets about why the military is evil.  People seemed more offended by their presence than interested in their propaganda.

A few of the women in black were protesting out front for an hour or two on Friday, with the usual Bread not Bombs signs (I hear it's hard to kill someone with a loaf of bread...  Maybe Christmas cake from 20,000 feet, but I'm not sure if that qualifies.)  The anarchist society at the University of Victoria (I love the myriad of condratictions in that...  Anarchist "Society"?  Hmm...) was supposed to make an appearance, but it was probably too early, or sunny, or dark, or the goth clothes were at the drycleaners, or they had to go to work, or study, or fight the power somewhere else, so we never saw them.

The only thing that the cops had to deal with was one gentleman wearing big posters was blocking the sidewalk at times, but he moved when asked.  There was one lady who attempted to gain entrance to the grounds with a placard reading "War kills Kids" but after the police explained the idea of publicly owned private property (and one fiesty old Vet told her that War kills adults too, and invited her to A-Stan) she meandered back up to the street, and bothered no more.

I will mention that one cab driver from the cab company with Yellow Cabs honked for peace, and gave us at the gates the finger.  If you're in Victoria, you know the company.  I've been debating contacting the company about that, but I'm not really sure it's my place.  I have no problem with him supporting peace, but do it from your private vehicle, and not a company car.

The protesters were welcomed officially by the brass, were offered water by those of us at the gates, and were treated quite admirably.    Their songs were quite nice, blasting Harper, War, Boy Scouts, Rope Knots, etc.  For some strange reason, it became difficult to hear them over "Come cheer up my lads, `tis to glory we sail" that was being sung, but it was all in good fun.

I think they accomplished one thing...  They definitely broke up the day for us.  Nice elderly ladies, they are.

T

[/quote]
Torlyn said:
The only thing that the cops had to deal with was one gentleman wearing big posters was blocking the sidewalk at times, but he moved when asked.

Was he by chance a long/grey haired man wearing posters that said "Hey man, The Hippies are back!" and things like that?  I've seen him downtown a couple times.  ;D

I will mention that one cab driver from the cab company with Yellow Cabs honked for peace, and gave us at the gates the finger.  If you're in Victoria, you know the company.  I've been debating contacting the company about that, but I'm not really sure it's my place.  I have no problem with him supporting peace, but do it from your private vehicle, and not a company car.

That's total BS...  I know Yellow Cab gets quite a bit of business from military personell.  Especially when a Ship comes back after secure.  I would defiantly report him.  I would have personally wrote in to the Times Colonist too.  Did you happen to remember what he looked like?  Or better yet, his cab number?  I'll be sure not to give this clown any business...
Or maybe I'll just go with Empress.

An event in Victoria is just not an event without the raging grannies.

I guess with the long weekend, they didn't have a chance to put an article together, but here is the blurb that was in this week's lookout.

photo_1.jpg

Dental hygienist WO Karen Nelmes checks inside the mobile dental clinic while dental technician Cpl Eileen Kenny secures the clinic’s camouflage netting during Navy Days setup last Thursday. Hundreds of members from Joint Task Force (Pacific) and CFB Esquimalt worked together to put on this public event. Watch for more photos from Navy Days in next week’s Lookout.

Must.....not.......comment......

...only Navy Day press coverage was ARMY!!

.....oops  >:D

Back