• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My Story...

Polski

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I guess it's about time to share the process I am currently going through, trying to get into the Army.

Before applying I was working as an Accountant.  Everyday on my lunch break I would take a walk down to the mall and see a huge Canadian Forces advertisement on my way to the gym.  For a year I saw this sign, and everyday I would say to myself "why haven't you applied? you know you hate your job. My dream as a child was also to be in the Canadian Forces.  Some want to be a doctor, a lawyer, etc but for whatever reason I suppressed that dream, got a degree in Finance and well as mentioned above got a well paying entry level accounting position.

Sometime in April 2009, After a year of research, figuring out what trades interest me, I walked through the recruiting officer door and finally spoke to a recruiter.  The recruiter and I talked on numerous occasions (awesome guy, very helpful, has all my respect, and will definitely be thanking him the day I get sworn in).

After talking to my family, long time girlfriend, etc...I started my application and put down one and only trade, DEO Infantry.  At the time, spots were available and I had little knowledge on how long the process can or would take. 

I gave the company I was working for a months notice that I would be resigning in order to pursue a career in the military and  took a job in the construction industry while I waited.  (I love being outside and love the physical and demanding work it involved).  After waiting a month and not receiving a call to be booked for my CFAT, Medical and interview, I went down there and asked some more questions and gained more knowledge on my trade of choice.  I soon found out all the remaining spots were filled for DEO Infantry, this was pretty disappointing but such is life and you have to take the good with the bad. My recruiter told me if I was still interested in DEO Infantry I would be waiting till April 2010 minimum to get in. 

After hearing the bad news, I slowly walked back to my apartment and thought about it. I waited for the call to book all my appointments which didn't happen till the middle of September and now here I am.  It's Nov 12th,  and I am still patiently waiting.  Everything went well and everything is complete, all I have left to do is call every month to ensure that my file stays open and wait for my phone call to be merit listed.

I hope I did well enough to earn a spot as DEO Infantry when the position become available again.  Sometimes I have my doubts and my "what if's" in regards to if I do not get that phone call , or I rank at the bottom of the barrel when it comes time to fill the available position for 2010.

Anyways, this is my story. As I wait I train hard, PT everyday balanced with a healthy life style.

I would like to also thank everyone who posts on these forms, I read them all the time and have gained much knowledge about the Army as a whole.

Thanks for listening,

James

Hey man,
I hear yah. I am waiting too. I am hoping for something for atleast august. So I am going back to school till april to upgrade my education anyways. What do I have to loose. Better then sitting around.
TIme flys man really its only 6 months away. I wanted to join at 18 now im 20 and finaly made the choice to join haha I get the kick in the butt.
Time will come.

hey im in the same boat  joined sept 08 and i have my update interview march 15 so i might begone in april  long wait but it will beworth it..wat is deo  because ijoined infantry as well.

Back