• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mounting a Brass Hat Badge For Display

chrisf

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if I should post this in the equipment forum or here, but i figured I'd get a good shot at an answer in either.

I'm going to be mounting a WWII brass hat badge as part of a display, the badge I have now is somewhat tarnished, and I'd like to polish it, but ultimately, it'll end up tarnished again... has anyone tried polishing and varnishing a hat badge for display? Any way to go about it without ruining it?

I've never done it myself, but I've attended two retirement functions where similar momentoes were presented. Curious, I enquired on how long they would last without tarnishing. Both were done in a different way.

The first one was a Naval Officer cap badge that had enamel on it. It was thoroughly cleaned/degreased with a circuit board aerosol cleaner then sprayed with an aerosol varnish product.

The second was a brass badge (Armoured I think, had a leaping deer on top of a ribbon) which had seen better days. As I understand, it was the owner's original issue and he grew attached to it. This was taken to a jeweler and sonic cleaned, car waxed and polished with a dremel tool.

As far as how long will either of these methods lasts? I can't answer that. But both methods did seem logical in preventing the oxidization to happen.

Best of luck with your project.

There are proprietary coatings designed to prevent tarnish on metal, including some specifically formulated for jewelry.  Here's one such product http://www.everbritecoatings.com/jewelry.htm .  I used something similar (decades ago) on a set of old RCAMC buttons for my DEU before thay came out with new branch buttons.  It worked very well and they remain relatively shiny still.

You may find such an product locally at a jewellers or perhaps even at Canadian Tire, RONA et al - coating for brass fixtures, doorknobs, etc.

Blackadder1916 said:
You may find such an product locally at a jewellers or perhaps even at Canadian Tire, RONA et al - coating for brass fixtures, doorknobs, etc.

Canadian Tire has this product which may suit your needs.

Peek Cream Polish

RumRunner said:
The second was a brass badge (Armoured I think, had a leaping deer on top of a ribbon) which had seen better days.

The Royal Canadian Dragoons

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Royal_Canadian_Dragoons

Back