• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Moosehead Headed to AFG

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act - http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html#rid-33409

N.B.-based Moosehead Breweries sending beer to Canadian troops in Afghanistan
Canadian Press, 1 Oct 06
http://www.570news.com/news/national/article.jsp?content=n100145A

SAINT JOHN, N.B. (CP) - Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan will soon be able to battle the heat of the southern Afghan desert with some beer from the largest Canadian-owned brewery.

Moosehead Breweries, based in Saint John, N.B., is sending more than 1,700 cans of its Moosehead Lager to Canadian troops stationed in Kandahar, after some of them specifically requested the suds.

Moosehead spokesman Joel Levesque said the beer would be shipped to Afghanistan from Canadian Forces Base Trenton in three rounds, with the first leaving in the next week. Another shipment will leave at the end of October, and a third will be sent in November.

The beer will be tapped on special occasions only - and soldiers will only be allowed to enjoy a cold one when they're off duty.

Levesque said military officials contacted Moosehead requesting to buy the beer, though the brewery is working out an arrangement to donate it.

"We're pretty proud of the fact that they're specifically asking for Moosehead," said Levesque.

"We'll do whatever we can to support our troops. We're going to be inquiring if we can donate the beer on a regular basis, and if that's possible we'll certainly do it."

The brewery's employees have also signed a giant poster with personal messages to the soldiers.

Moosehead won't be the first iconic Canadian brand to give Canadian troops a taste of home.

Tim Hortons has operated an outlet on the Kandahar base since late June, serving up coffee and donuts with the help of a team of civilian workers.

milnewstbay said:
"We're pretty proud of the fact that they're specifically asking for Moosehead," said Levesque.
The Welfare Officer must be a Maritimer.

I was up in Alaska once and the bartender said, "you're from Canada; we've got Moosehead." (Having already had a drink or two, I was stupidly honest), "We ship that crap to the States....of course, it makes Budweiser seem not so bad." I got a drink at the next bar though.  ;D

Nothing gives you a worse hangover than Moosehead.  Almost made me swear off beer.

I beg to differ about that, shooters will give me at least a MUCH worse hangover than Moosehead....

Moosehead was the first Canadian beer I could find in NZ when I was on my HLTA... It was wicked awesome at the time.

condor888000 said:
I beg to differ about that, shooters will give me at least a MUCH worse hangover than Moosehead....

I still haven't sworn off of shooters....  ;D

I have. That wedding was awesome. The day after was pure hell....pure hell and nothing but.

~RoKo~ said:
Moosehead was the first Canadian beer I could find in NZ
I rest my case.....even KIWIS will drink that swill - - oh, hang on, thats not really much of a stretch, is it. ;)

Great gesture, hummm 1700 cans........2200 troops the fight is on!

It is in keepig with the tradition that General Oland set in giving beer to the Arty troops at Gagetown when they needed a pick me up. Nice to see Moosehead do it now for the A stan troops, they sure deserve it. Just maybe should have been 20,000 cans. :)

That's great.  I recently spoke to Joel to see if Moosehead could donate to the MCF Adopt-a-Soldier campaign, but it was late in the year and they didn't have to stock.  Molson and Labatt both came through for us though.  I really wanted to get the big breweries on board, so this makes me really happy that at least Moosehead is making a contribution of some sort.

I suppose the troops will prefer a beer to a Moosehead hat anways. LOL.

Kudos to Moosehead.

Quagmire

Sometimes they suspend is the word I think, the rule on drinking for special occasion (IE: Christmas or New Years) so having the suds on hand donated means that the troops wont have to pay for the two beer on that day.

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
I thought there was 0 drinking in A Stan.

They told us there would be beer waiting for us when we took Panjwayi / Pashmul... They said the PPCLI got beer after their stint in the same region...  Just my damn luck to get wounded the second day into the fight and sent home.

My fiance say's; "You want beer? I can just go get you a beer.." but its not the same.  Even one beer in country, after that kinda of work, would raise moral greatly.  That beer could be Old English and it would taste like Stella Artoise.

Its not what you drink, its what you had to do to earn it... and those troops more than earned their beer.

Cheers.

RHFC,

You did EARN that beer, but I say it's not the beer it's drinking it with the guys who you shed blood with.

HitorMiss said:
RHFC,

You did EARN that beer, but I say it's not the beer it's drinking it with the guys who you shed blood with.

Does this mean that I have to come and get you for a road trip?  Moosehead anyone!

Well My dad works at Olands (Where Keiths is made (and Schooner ;)) so i'll ask him if he knows anything about if the're going to ship stuff over. Its a great idea to send beer over to the guys and gals.

Back