• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Moose becomes 1st "victim" of new armed CBSA border guard policy

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
This happened back in August.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/091114/national/border_moose_shot

OTTAWA - Canada's newly armed border guards have claimed their first victim: a hapless moose.

The creature was felled by the duty sidearm of a border officer in late August, newly disclosed documents show.

The incident - marking the first time a border-guard sidearm has been discharged on duty - occurred about 25 kilometres west of Creston, B.C., as an unidentified intelligence officer with the Canada Border Services Agency was driving on official business to Nelson, B.C.

The officer was behind an RCMP vehicle when both drivers spotted an injured moose struggling in the westbound lane of Highway 3.

The animal had suffered serious injuries to the rear legs and pelvis, and was crawling forward into the eastbound lane using its front legs.

The RCMP constable decided to put the moose out of its misery and prevent a possible highway accident, say documents obtained by The Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act.

The constable discharged his pistol twice into the moose's head, which brought the animal to a stop but did not kill it.

The Mountie "then requested that (the) CBSA intelligence officer ... euthanize the moose based on his known familiarity with livestock," says an official report into the incident.

The border services officer "discharged one round from his CBSA duty pistol into the head of the moose, resulting in the death of the animal."

The carcass was then removed from the flow of traffic.

An internal review of the Aug. 26 incident, required whenever a sidearm is even drawn, absolved the officer of any wrongdoing, noting that he was requested by a police officer to assist and that the injured moose was a serious threat to traffic.

"The drawing, pointing and discharge of the duty firearm by officer ... was justified," the review concluded.

A spokeswoman said all procedures worked as intended.

"As in all cases in which CBSA officers use their defensive tools, agency officials thoroughly reviewed the incident," Patrizia Giolti said in an email.

"CBSA operational procedures are developed and designed to ensure the safety of the public and of CBSA officers."

Canada's border guards began to carry sidearms in July 2007, and are pulling them from their holsters about three times a month. The moose incident is the first time there has been a discharge.

As of March this year, more than 800 border officers had been trained and assigned a duty firearm, the 9 mm Beretta P4X Storm.

The agency wants to arm 4,800 guards at all land and marine border points by 2016.

Agency officers are stationed at more than 1,200 locations across Canada, including 14 international airports and 119 land crossings.

that is a lot of procedure/analysis for the shooting of an injured animal  :eek:

It sounds like the CBSA is put under a lot of scrutiny in order to carry and use defensive firearms - and according to the article, their other tools as well!

No Kidding....

Talk about a left slanted article.....

they make it sound like the moose was just standing there minding its own buissiness when it was ambushed by Sinister CBSA Agents..... (probabbly for tring to bring in illegal smokes....  ;D)

but seriously..... We gave them guns so that they would be safer at the border crossings, airports and sea ports......

I cant belive this bulls*** article..... 

if there is this much crap over shooting an already dying and in pain animal, I can only imagine what would happen when they end up slotting some scroat-bag.......

Sheesh.....

Good Job CBSA!  Keep doing what your supposed to be doing, and know that Idiots like that reporter dont speak for all of us.....  :salute:

"The Mountie "then requested that (the) CBSA intelligence officer ... euthanize the moose based on his known familiarity with livestock," says an official report into the incident."

I'm surprised the RCMP officer was not familiar with "euthanizing" road-injured animals. They must come across them from time to time during their regular highway patrols.

Tommy said:
No Kidding....

Talk about a left slanted article.....

they make it sound like the moose was just standing there minding its own buissiness when it was ambushed by Sinister CBSA Agents..... (probabbly for tring to bring in illegal smokes....  ;D)

but seriously..... We gave them guns so that they would be safer at the border crossings, airports and sea ports......

I cant belive this bulls*** article..... 
Are we reading the same article? There was no editorial here, only facts. Sounds like you're searching for a slant.

Rheostatic said:
Are we reading the same article? There was no editorial here, only facts. Sounds like you're searching for a slant.

You don't think the story headline itself is slanted?
Claiming it's first "victim"?

Must have been a slow news day.
Fortunately, it wasn't a "Bambicide" with a tire iron.
I wonder if they'll share the meat?

Rheostatic said:

Wow.....

Are you Serious?

you honestly dont think that:

"Canada's newly armed border guards have claimed their first victim: a hapless moose."
Sounds slanted?  Hapless Moose?

maybe if it read "CBSA has recorded its first use of its issued firearm in a unique and unusual way, by euthanizing an injured moose"
That is a non opinionated way of saying the same thing....

the opening line of that rediculous article is only one step up from opening it with "Wacky gun toteing border guards blast apart moose for fun and profit...."   which is probabbly how the Toronto Star will headline it....

the article doesnt get to the meat of the issue until way down the page... the headline and first paragraph are pure sensationalism....

Then again... as long as they yelled "He's comming right for us!" (ala south park) then its all good  ;D

mariomike said:
I'm surprised the RCMP officer was not familiar with "euthanizing" road-injured animals. They must come across them from time to time during their regular highway patrols.

Don't be. There are many members who never step foot on to a rural high way, and as such have no clue what to do with an injured animal. Not to mention if the CBSA member was an IntO, the RCMP member maybe in the same line of work. That's federal and they are based predominantly in major metropolitan areas. I can't remember the last time I've seen a moose in Vancouver... and I've been here for almost 20yrs.

Also just to correct something that Tommy said, CBSA has officers in an IN LAND capacity as well. Members such as Investigations, Intelligence, In Land Enforcement etc are all positions AWAY from the ports. Please don't get mixed up and think that CBSA does not have members working away from the ports and armed.

MedTech said:
Also just to correct something that Tommy said, CBSA has officers in an IN LAND capacity as well. Members such as Investigations, Intelligence, In Land Enforcement etc are all positions AWAY from the ports. Please don't get mixed up and think that CBSA does not have members working away from the ports and armed.

I did forget about those guys...

They are Arming them too right?

MedTech said:
Tommy: Yarp!

Thats off the @#$ing Chain!

in any case... I'm always happy to see more LEO's in any shape or form out on the streets....

I wonder if they made any sausages....man those are wicked good when done right!!

No sense wasting some good moosemeat!!!!!!!!

Back