• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Miniature surveillance helicopters help protect front line troops

• Thread starter Thread starter MikeL
  • Start date Start date
M

MikeL

Miniature surveillance helicopters help protect front line troops

British troops in Afghanistan are the first to use state-of-the-art handheld nano surveillance helicopters.

The Black Hornet Nano Unmanned Air Vehicle measures around 4 inches by 1 inch (10cm x 2.5cm) and provides troops on the ground with vital situational awareness.

The Black Hornet is equipped with a tiny camera which gives troops reliable full-motion video and still images. Soldiers are using it to peer around corners or over walls and other obstacles to identify any hidden dangers and the images are displayed on a handheld terminal.

This revolutionary new system - the size of a child’s toy - is carried easily on patrol and is capable of performing in harsh environments and windy conditions.

The Black Hornet weighs as little as 16 grams and has been developed by Prox Dynamics AS of Norway as part of a £20 million contract for 160 units with Marlborough Communications Ltd in Surrey.

Sergeant Christopher Petherbridge of the Brigade Reconnaissance Force in Afghanistan said:

“Black Hornet is definitely adding value, especially considering the lightweight nature of it. We use it to look for insurgent firing points and check out exposed areas of the ground before crossing, which is a real asset. It is very easy to operate and offers amazing capability to the guys on the ground.”

s630_20130101_OP_QALB13_L59_BRF-071_zpsdf45ea52.jpg

A Black Hornet Nano Unmanned Air Vehicle being used in Afghanistan

1_zps0b1fa501.jpg

Sergeant Scott Weaver launches a Black Hornet Nano Unmanned Air Vehicle from a compound in Afghanistan [Picture: Sergeant Rupert Frere RLC, Crown Copyright/MOD 2013]

2_zps3614fc22.jpg

Sergeant Scott Weaver launches a Black Hornet Nano Unmanned Air Vehicle from a compound in Afghanistan [Picture: Sergeant Rupert Frere RLC, Crown Copyright/MOD 2013]

The Black Hornet – properly called a Proxdynamics PD-100 Personal Reconnaissance System or PD-100 PRS

Prox Dynamics link is shared with provisions of The Copyright Act

The PD-100 is the first airborne Personal Reconnaissance System to be developed. It will provide end users with a highly mobile UAS providing an immediate Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance capability.

Missions
• Search and Rescue
• Reconnaissance In Confined Areas
• Look Behind, Between and Below Obstacles
• Birds Eye View for Situational Awareness
• Object Identification
• Proximity Surveillance
• Crowd Control
• Inspect Nuclear Installations
• Check Chemical Plants after Incidents and Accidents

Features
• Transportable – Complete System Fits Inside a Pocket
• Ready to Fly – Airborne within One Minute
• Fly it Anywhere – In Confined Areas and Outdoors
• Stealth – Small and Inaudible
• Easy to Operate – Requires Little Training and No Pilot Experience
• Safe – Represents No Risks to Other Aircraft or Personell
• Affordable – Reusable or Expendable

System Specifications

A Complete PD-100 PRS Comprises
• PD-100 Nanocopter UAVs
• Base Station
• Total Systems Mass less than 1 kg (2 lbs), excluding display
• Dimensions approx. 200 x 85 x 50 mm (8 x 3.5 x 2 inches)

UAV
• Rotor Span 120 mm, Mass 16 gr including Camera
• Maximum Speed 10 m/s, Endurance up to 25 minutes
• Digital Data Link, Range 1000 m Line-of-Sight
• GPS Navigation or Visual Navigation through Video
• Autopilot with Autonomous and Directed Modes
• Hover & Stare, Automatic Search Patterns, Preplanned Routes

Sensors
• Steerable EO Camera (pan/tilt)
• Live Video and Snapshot Images

Base Station
• Mission Planning, Execution and Analyses
• Display connections, Functions and System Controls
• Storage of Mission Data including Video and Images
• Connections to PC, Network and other Peripherals
• UAVs housed inside for Protection and Support

System Status
The development of the PD-100 Black Hornet PRS started in April 2008. Several prototypes and technology demonstrators have been produced, and serial production was established in early 2012. The system is the world’s first operational nano-system and is currently in service with international units.

The PD-100 Black Hornet PRS is under Norwegian Arms Control and will only be sold to government institutions and organizations.

Okay, who wouldn't want to get their hands on one of those? That's awesome!

I like how they mentioned it was unmanned, as if I needed that explained to me given the size.....

I can think of a certain poster that if he wasn't on listening slilence, most likely would post links to blury cell phone video off of youtube of some of these that have been following him around since the last G20 summit!

:nod:

Well you can buy similar complete with video relay at Walmart for $69.00. You could have a lot of fun with the tinfoil crowd.

Colin P said:
Well you can buy similar complete with video relay at Walmart for $69.00. You could have a lot of fun with the tinfoil crowd.

The Black Hornet weighs as little as 16 grams and has been developed by Prox Dynamics AS of Norway as part of a £20 million contract for 160 units with Marlborough Communications Ltd in Surrey.

Based on a current exchange rate (from the BoC) of 1.5607 Pounds to the Canadian Dollar, that's $195,087.50 per unit.  At that price I sure hope it includes the two "AA" batteries for the controller!

Neat, I have to wonder what the wind speed limitations are on that.

The small RC toys of similar size that I have used can't be controlled even in a very slight breeze outside. They must be compensating with some powerful, yet super light motors. I suspect that is where most of the research money got tossed into.

Think of all the windows you can peek in!  Cool, bet it has lots of applications

GR66 said:
Based on a current exchange rate (from the BoC) of 1.5607 Pounds to the Canadian Dollar, that's $195,087.50 per unit.  At that price I sure hope it includes the two "AA" batteries for the controller!
Also, methinks this unit probably flies a bit longer than the 6-8 minutes the Walmart ones do before needing to be recharged.

30 minutes, impressive considering the power demands. Expect similar to be offered for $200 by next Christmas by deal extreme.

I have R/C helo without video, but I can fly it using my iphone. It's a $50 item.  Amazing stuff.

Back