• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Milling

Sh0rtbUs

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
I was watching that SAS reality show last night on the History Channel, and they engaged in some "milling". Basically they beat on eachother with gloves and such for a minute to help build aggression. I was just wondering if the Canadian military ever practiced it, and how effective you think it is?

Personally, i would like to give it a try, solely because it seems to provide better agression training than anything else i've seen in the military to date. And as most will find, its shere agression that can determine the outcome of a fight.

On a side note, it seemed pretty fun too  ;D

I was just wondering if the Canadian military ever practiced it

:-X

Try getting that through in a mixed-gender combat arms that puts "Strong and Proud" over "Violence of Action"....

:P

If you take the CQC course then they make you do boxing and pugli bouts and whatnot, at least that is what I have heard.. if you want someone to teach you how to be aggressive then emulate your Sgt. if you just want an outlet for aggression show up at a midget festival drunk... not that is a mature choice :d

I think aggression is something not every person can simply pick up, as odd as this sounds, it can take practice. How difficult is it to get on CQC courses, and is it trade specific?

Infanteer, was there any time in the Canadian military's history where they practiced anything like this at all? Obviously, we cant do it now. After all, what kind of army would be, dare i say it...aggressive!? ::) ;D

When I did the unarmed combat course we did the end-of-course "force on force" aspect in 2 stages.  The first stage was fighting full-contact (with protective gear) for points.  Basically, every time you scored a meaningful hit the 2 combattants reset and went at it again until one of the pair scored a total of 3 hits.  No horn-tooting, but I won all of those.  I was feeling like king-shit of the turd-house.  And then came the next step....

The second half was full-contact, no referee interference until one of the pair was on the ground getting the living crap pummelled out of him.  My bout started out OK, and I was holding my own for about 30 seconds.  And then my wiry Pte opponent shifted time and space such that he was able to deliver a right-handed round-house hammer to the side of my noggin.  Suffice it to say that I collapsed like a cheap house of cards, seeing many, many stars.  Only to wake up with the referee blowing on his whistle while the rather enthusiastic young Pte continued to asssist me in looking fully Right and Left with haymakers delivered to the jaw in alternating directions.  Yes, things were rather hazy for me during the balance of that particular day.  But it was all good!

Anyone who purports to learn about combatives is well-served by having the crap kicked out of them at least once.  It doesn't just teach humility.  It gives you a feel for what you need to do to the other guy ASAP, lest you end up eating dirt yourself.  Trust me - getting the shit kicked out of you is never a positive nor personally-redeeming experience unless you are a masochist.  But it does make you determined to succeed the next time around. 

If nothing else, remember to hit early and hit often....  Don't wait for the other clown to make the first move.  If things are going South, then it is time to hit first and ask questions later.  Just don't kill the SOB....

It has alot to do with control, which doesnt come immediatly. it takes practice to get over that initial adrenaline rush and learn to start thinking about where your laying your hits, which i can only see such skills developing under controlled practice, ie. milling.

Mark C: what is the current status of unarmed cbt in Inf DP1, and what are your opinions on unarmed cbt trg for all soldiers? Cheers.

Mark C said:
Anyone who purports to learn about combatives is well-served by having the crap kicked out of them at least once.   It doesn't just teach humility.   It gives you a feel for what you need to do to the other guy ASAP, lest you end up eating dirt yourself.   Trust me - getting the crap kicked out of you is never a positive nor personally-redeeming experience unless you are a masochist.   But it does make you determined to succeed the next time around.  

If nothing else, remember to hit early and hit often....   Don't wait for the other clown to make the first move.   If things are going South, then it is time to hit first and ask questions later.   Just don't kill the SOB....

Hmmm ... kinda sounds like we've been to school together ... (figuratively).
Couldn't agree more.
In university I got jumped by five drunks once (thank God they were drunk ...).
Sure, they broke my nose, but ... the one guy I got in a headlock and used as a human shield ... had to be carried back to their car ... (thank God for training until it's instinctive ...).
And, with regard to "... Just don't kill the SOB ..." - I've been taught to make them think that's your aim.  For some reason or other it seems to work, at least ... so far it has ...

when i was in we did pugel fighting,you could end up taking some big hits.agression levels were HIGH,but it was also a good bonding experiance.i think it should be done more.it teaches respect,espeasially when the crusty old sgts,kick the shit out of the young guys...and as far as woman go in the cbt arms,if they wanna act like men let them take there lumps like men. :'(there should be 1 high standard for those who can make it,man or woman,no standard should ever be lowered .. >:D                                                               

Milling and boxing were an intehgral part of depot/recruit and basic officer training in the '50s and into the '60s.   It was part 'training' and part 'rite of passage.'

Boxing was a major army sport back then.   Boxing events were well attended, officers and sergeants wore patrol dress (high collared blue uniforms), ladies wore evening dresses and civilian guests wore tuxedos.   There was, often a 'Mill' - two teams, each of ten recruits or officer cadets, as 'half time' entertainment.

Sometime in the mid/late '60s there was considerable concern about the long trem or downstream medical effects of boxing and it was phased out.

I honestly don't know what (if anything) is done during the current non-commissioned SQ or officer CAP with regard to the harsh realities of "fist-to-face".   I suspect that there is none, and more's the pity.   "Milliing" (with appropriate protective gear), Pugil fighting, etc - it all has a very beneficial effect in terms of breeding soldier skills.  

When I underwent an unarmed combat course in 3 PPCLI, I had not been in a knock-down/drag-out fight since elementary school.    Yet here I was, 18 years into my career as an infantry officer - arguably the most "martial" of jobs on the market.   It was a big-time eye-opener.   I loved the sheer physical aspect of it, and I suspect that the Ptes enjoyed the heck out of the sanctioned opportunity to beat the snot ouf of their OC.   Lord knows, the Pte that whacked me upside the noggin and put me on the mat certaiinly seemed to enjoy the opportuntiy to deliver repeated haymakers to my rather stunned (and ringing)   head while I curled up like a whiny schoolgirl....

And that was the value of the experience.   Getting your *** handed to you on a plate is eminently good for the soul. To coin a phrase, it builds character.   Being knocked on your *** by a subordinate doesn't just teach humility (although it does that just fine) - it alse teaches you that when push comes to shove, rank hath no priviledge.   If it gets down and dirty, you'd best be prepared to kick some arse.   I absolutely loved it.   No, I didn't like seeing stars and having my ears ring for the next 48 hours.   But overall?   Having that Pte kick my *** taught me some invaluable life lexsons.   Not the least of which was "hit early and hit often".

All of that to say that there is a DEFINITE place in the Army's training curriculum for combatitives.   Most people really don't want to fight "mano-a-mano" because they have never done so.   Forcing soldiers to do pugilistic battle is a "good thing in my view.   Engaging in personal combat and (if appropriate) getting your arse handed to you is a very valuable learning experience.   As odd as it may sound, once you've done it, the next time is a "no brainer".    In that regard, personal combatitives are very much like jumping out of an airplane.

I'll put it this way - I wouldn't want to have had my first real "knock-down/drag-out" fight in the real world.   Far better to get that first ***-kicking out of the way under controlled circumstances with a (laughing) referee.   You learn from such events, and I suspect that I am much better positioned to simply dive in with some nasty moves should the opportunity ever present itself in the real world.   If nothing else, I learned that he who hesitates is eating floor.....

Beating the living piss out of each other (with appropriate protective gear) is excellent training.   It still happens in the Canadian Army, and my ringing head is ample testament to that.   It it isn't happening in your unit, then you need to ask why.   Get a qualified instructor and have at it.   Trust me - getting knocked on your arse every now and again is good for the soul....

bubba said:
and as far as woman go in the cbt arms,if they wanna act like men let them take there lumps like men. :'(there should be 1 high standard for those who can make it,man or woman,no standard should ever be lowered .. >:D                                                                

Well I'm not in the combat arms but I'd love to try this Milling thing, sounds like fun plus being aggresive is all part of being a soldier, isn't it? No matter what trade. Now if the guys could just get over the 'oh we can't hit girls'... :D

Rusty Old Joint said:
ladies wore evening dresses

Hahaha even better. Heel in the eye!  ;D

In the infantry today the candidates are req'd to complete approx 62 lessons of close quarter combat training. The classes range from basic stances and movements to CQC defense against weapons. As for "milling " the closest they will get is when the pugil matches take place.
             The CQCI course not trade specific, on mine there were 011,021, and 042. The course is difficult but not impossible to get on, submitt a memo up the chain and wait as they only run them once or twice a year. If you get on the course expect to hurt for a while (the whole five weeks) and when you go downtown Wainwright your colongne of chcologneuld be something classy, like A535 or Tiger balm, the girls at JD's love it

Is this course exclusively for RegF pers?  And what are the pre-requisites for the course.

Sig Bloggins said:
Well I'm not in the combat arms but I'd love to try this Milling thing, sounds like fun plus being aggresive is all part of being a soldier, isn't it? No matter what trade. Now if the guys could just get over the 'oh we can't hit girls'... :D

It gives them a lame excuse to fall back on when they get their ass kicked by a girl: "well I didn't try my hardest. I didn't want to hurt her or anything..." (best spoken between gasps from being winded or while pinching back a bleeding nose). Sometimes the lesson in humility is too great for the egos of some to handle, which only makes it funnier for those watching ;D. A couple years of kickboxing taught me quite quickly that the opponents you don't view seriously usually beat the snot out of you the fastest and hardest - especially those that are a full foot shorter and 50 lbs lighter. Always watch out for the small ones...

On my course there was a R031 so it is open to the reserve community. The pre-requisites for the course are:
-PLQ for NCM's
-MOC for the dark side
-Close Quarter Combat (Basic) ( this is something your unit will have sort out as all reg BIQ students are qualified when they leave the ATC's and I know that the reserve troops don't take CQC during their courses).
-Min Med Cat   333225
-Passed the Land Forces Fitness Test in passed 12 months
-rrecommendedby unit CO
In ref to the Basic course, any in house CQC taught is not valid unless taught by a CQCI. Even the old Unarmed Combat Instructors Course is not valid anymore.

Pro Patria

Back