• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Presence in Alberta

155mmMoose

Inactive
Reaction score
I used the search bar and i came up with nothing: So here it goes.

While driving around Medicine Hat, Alberta on the No.1 Highway i often see military vehicles such as the Gelaendenwagen, Or G-Wagon as i have heard it referred to, And on a handful of occasions i have seen our LAV's cruising around there too. I figure they were from Wainwright but i could be wrong. I was hoping someone could let me in on what there usually up to?

CFB Suffield is just outside of Medicine Hat, plus Medicine Hat has a Army Reserve armoured recce unit based there.

Lots of training done out at CFB Suffield, along with the British Army Training Unit Suffield (BATUS), DREC Suffield, etc, etc. 

Yep, we regularly go down there from Shilo, Wainright, and Edmonton for training. You would have seen many many more than usual in the area last month, as we were participating in EX Desert Ram, and Total Ram within the city of Medicine Hat itself.

Thats great. I feel so secure when driving around a large vehicle armed with a 25mm Cannon  ^-^

155mmMoose said:
Thats great. I feel so secure when driving around a large vehicle armed with a 25mm Cannon  ^-^

I remember joking with my mother and a friend about getting one for the car/truck to help clear away traffic. :p

mellian said:
I remember joking with my mother and a friend about getting one for the car/truck to help clear away traffic. :p

I wish, I really do wish I could have one on my truck  >:D

To the OP, if you saw them towards the end of last month/ early this month, then it would have been the ones perhaps on their way to Wainwright for Ex Maple Guardian 0901 which is wrapping up this week.

I have been taking part in this ex and am glad to be going home.

155mmMoose said:
I used the search bar and i came up with nothing: So here it goes.

While driving around Medicine Hat, Alberta on the No.1 Highway i often see military vehicles such as the Gelaendenwagen, Or G-Wagon as i have heard it referred to, And on a handful of occasions i have seen our LAV's cruising around there too. I figure they were from Wainwright but i could be wrong. I was hoping someone could let me in on what there usually up to?

If you saw them between 28 April and 8 May then this is why:

PRT preps for urban environment in Medicine Hat
by Sgt Dan Milburn

MEDICINE HAT, Alta. — Three hundred and fifty troops from Provincial Reconstruction Team (PRT) 3-09 deployed to Medicine Hat to participate in Operation HAT TRICK, held April 28 to May 8.

The operation tested the PRT’s skills in the city of 60 000. The PRT worked through many scenarios that threw twists and turns at the soldiers. The team’s reaction to the scenario determined what the next scenario would be, reminiscent of a choose-your-own-adventure book.

“We chose Medicine Hat because there is no way for us to replicate a real urban environment,” said Captain Darren Hart, Op HAT TRICK office of primary interest.

The PRT set up camp on the fair grounds but patrolled day and night all over the city, in foot or mounted patrols. From an early-morning phone call about an IED found under a downtown bridge to a large protest at the gate, the troops had to stay on their toes.

If soldiers handled the problem correctly, the scenario would end. If they didn’t, the exercise co-ordinator would keep throwing things into the mix to make both the commanders and the troops think. With more than 80 civilian actors, and residents of Medicine Hat (including the mayor), taking part, the scenarios were as real as possible.

As the operation wound down, the soldiers faced the biggest and most challenging scenario. The actors—or, as they were known during the exercise, the “nomads” of Medicine Hat—set up a large market to draw in and kill the mayor of Medicine Hat. The PRT knew something was up and changed the mayor’s plans at the last minute, forcing the exercise planner to make a quick change to his script.

“The market is now a front for an IED-making facility,” Capt Hart said. “I think they are on to us.”

With a quick change to the plans, the market became the scene of a large IED blast. This new twist put the PRT to the test – there were 20 casualties along with many irate “nomads”. Yelling and screaming could be heard for blocks as the actors drew in the soldiers to see how they would react to the situation. Fake blood gushing out of simulated wounds added to the realism.

After a few high-stress hours, the scenario was complete. The soldiers had ensured that the mayor made it to his objective.

12-22-11b.jpg

Troops carry the injured out of the danger zone to receive emergency care during Op HAT TRICK. Troops trained in Medicine Hat, Alta., to get experience operating in an urban environment.

by SGT DAN MILBURN

12-22-11a.jpg

Soldiers conduct mounted and dismounted patrols.

by SGT DAN MILBURN

Back