• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Intellectual Blasts Endless PowerPoint Briefs

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Military intellectual? Sounds like an oxymoron to me... ;D

Military Intellectual Blasts Endless PowerPoint Briefs

A curious fact about the American military, and American private industry, in the early 21st century is their insistence on holding formal meetings. The practice is curious because these same institutions spend a great deal of time and effort studying "good management," which should recognize what most participants in such meetings see, namely that they are a waste of time. Good decisions are far more often a product of informal conversations than of any formal meeting, briefing or process.

History offers a useful illustration. In 1814, the Congress of Vienna, which faced the task of putting Europe back together after the catastrophic French Revolution and almost a quarter-century of subsequent wars, did what aristocrats usually do. It danced, it dined, it stayed up late playing cards for high stakes, it carried on affairs, usually not affairs of state. Through all its aristocratic amusements, it conversed. In the process, it put together a peace that gave Europe almost a century of security, with few wars and those limited.

In contrast, the conference of Versailles in 1919 was all business. Its dreary, interminable meetings (read Harold Nicolson for a devastating description) reflected the bottomless, plodding earnestness of the bourgeois and the Roundhead. Its product, the Treaty of Versailles, was so flawed that it spawned another great European war in just twenty years. As Kaiser Wilhelm II said from exile in Holland, the war to end war yielded a peace to end peace.

The U.S. military has carried the formal meeting's uselessness to a new height with its unique cultural totem, the Powerpoint brief. Almost all business in the American armed forces is now done through such briefings. An Exalted High Wingwang, usually a general or an admiral, formally leads the brief, playing the role of the pointy-haired boss in Dilbert. Grand Wazoos from various satrapies occupy the first rows of seats. Behind them sit rank upon rank of field-grade horse-holders, flower-strewers and bung-holers, desperately striving to keep their eyelids open through yet another iteration of what they have seen countless times before.

The briefing format was devised to use form to conceal a lack of substance. Powerpoint, by reducing everything to bullets, goes one better. It makes coherent thought impossible. Bulletizing effectively makes every point equal in importance, which prevents any train of logic from developing. Thoughts are presented like so many horse apples, spread randomly on the road. After several hundred Powerpoint slides, the brains of all in attendance are in any case reduced to mush. Those in the back rows quietly pray for a suicide bomber to provide some diversion and end their ordeal.

When General Greg Newbold, USMC, was J-3 on the Joint Staff, he prohibited briefings in matters that ended at his level (those above him, of course, still wanted their briefs). Instead, he asked for conversations with people who actually knew the material, regardless of their rank. Five or ten minutes of knowledgeable, informal conversation accomplished far more than hours of formal briefing.

Why does the American military so avoid informal conversations and require formal meetings and briefings? Because most of the time, the people who actually know the subject are of junior rank. Above them stands a vast pyramid of "managers," who know little or nothing about the topic but want their "face time" as they buck for promotion. The only way they can get their time in the sun without egg on their faces is by hiding behind a formal, scripted briefing. At the end, they still have to drag up some captain or sergeant from the horse-holder ranks if questions are asked.

The Powerpoint briefing is another reason America has a non-thinking military. The tendency toward useless, formal meetings is of course broader than the American military -- again, the business world is full of it -- but good leaders cut around it.

When General Hermann Balck was commanding 48th Panzer Korps on the Eastern Front with General F.W. von Mellinthin as his I-A, Mellinthin one day reproached Balck for wasting time by going out to eat with the troop units so often. Balck replied, "You think so? OK, tomorrow you come with me."

The next day, they arrived at a battalion a bit before lunchtime. They had a formal meeting, Balck asked some questions and got some answers. Then, they broke for lunch. During the informal conversation that usually accompanies meals, Balck asked the same questions and got completely different answers. On their way back to the headquarters, Balck turned to Mellinthin and said, "Now you see why I go out so often to eat with the troop units. It's not for the cuisine."

When Generals Balck and von Mellinthin visited Washington in 1980, John Boyd asked them to reflect on their leadership of 48th Panzer Korps and how they would have done it if they had possessed computers. Balck replied, "We couldn't have done it." Boyd didn't ask about Powerpoint, but I suspect General Balck's reply would have been equally to the point.

Despite the situation in Berlin, the Wehrmacht did know how to think.

William S. Lind, expressing his own personal opinion, is Director for the Center for Cultural Conservatism for the Free Congress Foundation.

Published Friday, March 16, 2007 10:18 AM

Where "military", sometimes read "government" - and I don't necessarily mean JUST the U.S., either... ::)

Unfortunately, some of us see things like this every day. 

Some days, one has to wonder that our general and flag officers ever get to think about any decisions to make as their days seem to be filled with Death by Powerpoint.  They sit through pre-briefs so they can run to briefings, then to meetings where they are presented multiple slide printout packages and more powerpoint briefings, then off to another round.  All are highly scripted, formalized, timetabled with little time to actually discuss the issues with those that know them intimately.  Most are presented by those give oversight about the issues at hand but cannot answer in-depth questions and are not the experts because "only a Level (insert number here) can present in that forum."

Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

Edited for grammar/sentence structure.

You ever wanna feel like a lab Rat,

Give a briefing to a Capt(N) (Col for the soldiers) in a room full of 2 and a halfers and a couple of full two bar a@@kissers. the best you're a killick with no power point firing from the hip because you got a shake 10 minutes ago.

At the end the "old man" said, no bullshit eh? you guys should take some lessons. maybe using your lips without microsoft's biggest waste of time since "project" does hold credit.

Disenchantedsailor said:
You ever wanna feel like a lab Rat,

Give a briefing to a Capt(N) (Col for the soldiers) in a room full of 2 and a halfers and a couple of full two bar a@@kissers. the best you're a killick with no power point firing from the hip because you got a shake 10 minutes ago.

At the end the "old man" said, no bullshit eh? you guys should take some lessons. maybe using your lips without microsoft's biggest waste of time since "project" does hold credit.

You wouldn't mind cleaning that up a bit so that the rest of us could understand what the heck you were talking about; other than saying you had to give a briefing to a Capt (N) (Col), a bunch of Majors (Whatever Navy), a couple of two barred Capts (Lt (N)).  Then you went and rambled off the deep end......... ? ? ?  ???

Long story short the "old man" CO wanted to know why one of his systems wouldn't work, and how to fix it, most guys would've taken an hour built up a great big PPT with logs of visual aids, instead I stood up and told him what the problem was, leaving out the technical jargon, took 5 minutes to brief (rather than the hour my P1 told me it would) the no BS answer while the LT(N) Capt's looked at me like I had a third eyeball, Apparently the CO wasn't a big fan of PPT and clouds of " I don't have a clue" the usually surround such topics, hope it clears a few things up

Thank God we have a Navy (with some senior Officers that don't do PowerPoint).

we had one LT(N) try to send a 938 slide powerpoint back to Esq by email, all pictures for family isn't that cute

This makes me want to commision a half million dollar six month study Entitled 'Toilet seat up or down? The question for the ages'

That article made me laugh something fierce. I wonder how many briefings he endured to snap like that? And I wonder which particular one made him really lose it?

Why was this posted?  The qualities of the author, a military intellectual of such stunning brilliance he works in the 'Center for Cultural Conservatism for the Free Congress Foundation', are self-evident.  In addition powerpoints, arent actually blasted, only the concept of meetings. 

Are you putting this up because you:
a) support it 
b) disagree with it 
c) thought it was good for a laugh?

I would be interested to see his work environment.  Most likely they are an organization where everyone hides in their office and sends emails to each other.

Centurian1985 said:
Why was this posted?  The qualities of the author, a military intellectual of such stunning brilliance he works in the 'Center for Cultural Conservatism for the Free Congress Foundation', are self-evident.  In addition powerpoints, arent actually blasted, only the concept of meetings. 

Are you putting this up because you:
a) support it 
b) disagree with it 
c) thought it was good for a laugh?

I would be interested to see his work environment.  Most likely they are an organization where everyone hides in their office and sends emails to each other.

You mean a workplace just like army.ca?  ;)

I agree with it wholeheartedly. In my civvy career I spend alot of time helping organizations stuck in the 'powerpoint' communications trap. PowerPoint has it's place, but there's no substitute for looking people in the eye and having a real two way discussion.

daftandbarmy said:
..... the 'powerpoint' communications trap.

The result of a strictly hierarchical communications tradition confounded by poorly understood and even less effectively applied software tools.  To change institutionally, we need to evolve our communications facilities (both inside and between units/HQs) in order to move from IT focussed control of data storage and handling to a functional IM focused environment that shares and employs data in a realtime collaborative way.  Powerpoint is the tip of an iceberg; let's not forget the associated troubles of limiting data storage, the inefficiency of sharing/discussing issues across mass-mailed one-to-one email networks, WANs that lack standard user interfaces for individual users to upload and edit shared data .... we could all expand the list of issues that show how having a computerized work environment tools does not automaticaly make a fully functional staff/decision-making system.  The best air-nailer in the world is just an expensive rock if used to pound in one nail at a time.

Forget powerpoint presentations. Has anybody ever taken a course where the instructor provides you with a ppt file or 50 pages of printouts to study from!!   :threat:

OK.  I will be the dissenting voice I guess (no surprise there).  I have been doing PPT for a long time now - and have briefed at every concievable level with the sole exception of PM using the tool.  The bullets don't matter - the verbiage does.  I use PPT to keep me on track - and that is all.  I find it to be a useful tool (as I am sure many of the pers I have briefed see me...)

Michael O'Leary said:
The result of a strictly hierarchical communications tradition confounded by poorly understood and even less effectively applied software tools.  To change institutionally, we need to evolve our communications facilities (both inside and between units/HQs) in order to move from IT focussed control of data storage and handling to a functional IM focused environment that shares and employs data in a realtime collaborative way.  Powerpoint is the tip of an iceberg; let's not forget the associated troubles of limiting data storage, the inefficiency of sharing/discussing issues across mass-mailed one-to-one email networks, WANs that lack standard user interfaces for individual users to upload and edit shared data .... we could all expand the list of issues that show how having a computerized work environment tools does not automaticaly make a fully functional staff/decision-making system.  The best air-nailer in the world is just an expensive rock if used to pound in one nail at a time.

Agreed, so did someone at marpac, created a cell called collaboration at sea, they use domino based applications, and much more valuable collaboration tool Lotus Sametime, instant messanging with shared whiteboards, works like a charm, so well in fact the Joint command centres have asked the Navy for help setting up thier own sites, maybe PPT wont be so heavily relied on,

PPCLI Guy,

I didnt say the PPT didn't have a time and a place, and can be a great tool if used properly, thats the problem not everyone uses it properly as you do,  I've been on courses where the instructor stood at the front of the room and read off the handouts, with powerpoint, it seems, you don't really have to know what you're teaching, just how to read.

daftandbarmy said:
You mean a workplace just like army.ca?  ;)

This is a workplace?  Where's my paycheck?

The US powerpoint problem is not the same as ours.  While most Canandian presentations made are merely tedious and unimaginative, the US ones are crammed with an unbelievable density of useless data that the audience does not need.   

I can well recall from when i was in what you are refering to in your criticsm, and still see it here in the private sector.  However, Powerpoint is an excellent communication tool.  'The 'trap' you mention is the people, who, due to a lack of proper training in using and understanding the tool, do not use the tool effectively or properly.  Its like giving a 6 year old a machine gun. 

I found the start of the article a bit hard to follow.  The author appears to be ascribing the results of the Treaty of Westphalia as compared to the Treaty of Versailles based on the methods used to hammer them out and then link them to the use of powerpoints and briefings.  There may have been some other factors at play that influenced the periods after the respective treaties.  The Treaty of Verailles was a piece of vengeance against a foe that had not been vanquished and its fruit was bitterness and a desire for revenge itself.  I wouldn't blame that on how the Treaty of Versailles was drafted but on the motivations of the people going in.

Turning back to powerpoint and briefings, you can have too many briefings.  "Mission Analysis" can turn into "Mission Paralysis."  Perhaps what the author is actually asking for is a return to intuitive decision making as opposed to a staff-produced estimate.  Some commanders can take it all in with a 'clin d-oeil' and be right.  That method can also lead to disaster. 

A good commander and staff should be able to employ both methods.  Powerpoint is a useful tool, especially when combined with a good map graphics software package.  Briefings are necessary to keep staffs working towards the same goal and with the same information.  I've seen some really bad BUBs and some really good ones, just like I've heard some really good SITREPs over the radio and some really bad ones.  Just because a SITREP wasn't done very well doesn't mean that it wasn't necesary.

I instruct a few courses. When the first AMFR was approved, it had over 377 slides to show. This was seven years ago. With the updates that have been approved, I have managed my power point to 80 slides for the 30 chapters that we must cover.

In my opinion, the presenter owns the presentation. Show the slide or not, you will have to know the information.

eerickso said:
Forget powerpoint presentations. Has anybody ever taken a course where the instructor provides you with a ppt file or 50 pages of printouts to study from!!   :threat:

*sigh* Take my AMFR1 course, I keep forgetting to offer the photocopies, but yes I do have them ready for issue so that my students can study them.

God, I love this - I have seen enough examples of these situations to choke a goat.

I've watched a course-mate of mine get applause from the DS for a brilliant ppt presentation of a Brigade Med Plan - problem: The plan was crap - but damn, did it ever look good - and apparently that was all that mattered.

Every corporation has a culture. The US military, and lately the CF, have at very senior levels fallen into the trap of presenting massive, yet meaningless, presentations. I'm almost reminded of Hitler's ability to quote ammo loads for vehicles and ships, and demand such info from his staff, but have no grasp of the strategic situation.

It's often quantity, and not quality and insight etc that gets somebody noticed. And Staff Weenies and Senior Officers everywhere strive like mad to out-do each other.

I had a US three-star teach me at RMC on Mil Int - his analogy was relevant here - the Int guys would give presentations on the weapons, doctrine, politics, card-game tactics etc of the enemy - but they never got around to telling the commander exactly who and how many were just waiting over the next hill....

Back