• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"MILITARY EXPERT SPEAKS"

pbi

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
I cut this from the CBC News site this AM (20 Oct), from an article on the Chicoutimi fire inquiry:

Former colonel Michel Drapeau says Canadians need to know whether or not the military was deliberately downplaying the incident.

"I say we have a very, very serious problem. That we are not getting the straight goods from the military staff. And this is peace. Imagine what it would be like if this were war, or an emergency."

Now, based on exactly what does he make that comment? The inquiry isn't even finished and he is already calling the Navy liars. This is the same individual who commented on the Tarnak Farms deaths by saying that 3PPCLI doing night training in an area of operations was a sign of how poorly trained they were. I wish people like this would be quiet at least until the investigation is finished. Cheers.

Here's the full article.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/10/20/sub_fire_major041020.html

It talks about how the sailors on board told called Halifax and said that the fire on board was "major", yet when DND officials announced it publicly they said it was "minor".

CFL is right. Anybody who has ever been directly involved in a major incident in the military, especially those involving death or severe injury, knows that it takes at least a day (at least...) for the initial facts to get sorted out. During that time, all sorts of confusion, BS, well-intended suggestion confused as fact, speculation by the il-informed, etc. etc will swirl around the incident until the dust settles and the facts come out. Unfortunately, in the process a number of knee-jerkers will already have convinced themselves of the "facts" such that when the actual facts come out, these people will immediately attack them as the product of a "cover-up". Every story has about eight sides, minimum. Cheers.

Vent On-
Point One-
When this whole â Å“cover-upâ ? story started to surface I really couldn't get mad at NDHQ.   I mean think about at your level.   For instance â “ you're sitting in your Artic Tent and decide you are too lazy to go outside to re-fuel the stove.   You do it inside the tent and when you go to light her up a small fire of spilled Naptha starts on the ground.   As you concentrate on trying to put it out before the whole tent goes up your immediate superior yells from outside the tent â Å“What's going on in there?â ?   Do you tell him/her â Å“Just a sec' I have to put out a little fire here.â ? or â Å“The tent's about to burst into flames, we have a major problem here.â ?   More realistically, when bad things happen we usually say â Å“Contact, wait, out.â ?   Why?   It lets higher know the situation has changed and the wait sort of refers to details to follow.

Point Two-
Now we have this â Å“Ltâ ? going on the news to state that he reported it as a 'major' fire.   Firstly I acknowledge I wasn't there and I'm not trying to second-guess what he did or did not report.   My issue/vent/point is that we have a serving junior officer (Capt/Lt(N) is a junior officer rank) going to the media and calling into question the integrity of his chain of command.   The chain of command all the way to the top.   So if this Officer has demonstrated this level of integrity and loyalty up the chain of command how does he ever expect to have the loyalty and trust of his sub-ordinates?

Principles of Leadership
#1.   Achieve professional competence.
#3.   Seek and accept responsibility.
#4.   Lead by example.

for starters....

Vent Off

Point Two-
Now we have this â Å“Ltâ ? going on the news to state that he reported it as a 'major' fire.  Firstly I acknowledge I wasn't there and I'm not trying to second-guess what he did or did not report.  My issue/vent/point is that we have a serving junior officer (Capt/Lt(N) is a junior officer rank) going to the media and calling into question the integrity of his chain of command.  The chain of command all the way to the top.  So if this Officer has demonstrated this level of integrity and loyalty up the chain of command how does he ever expect to have the loyalty and trust of his sub-ordinates?

Principles of Leadership
#1.  Achieve professional competence.
#3.  Seek and accept responsibility.
#4.  Lead by example

Is that really what he did, or did he testify under oath in front of a Board of Inquiry whose proceedings were being reported by the media? I'm not sure. Cheers.

PUBLICATION GLOBE AND MAIL
DATE: THU OCT.21,2004
PAGE: A1 (ILLUS)
BYLINE: JEFF SALLOT
CLASS: National News
EDITION: Metro DATELINE: Ottawa ON

Military brass have trouble justifying subs

JEFF SALLOT
With a report from Rob Shaw

OTTAWA Canada's top military officers found it difficult yesterday to convince skeptical opposition MPs that the country needs submarines to defend the coasts.
Even Liberal MPs at parliamentary hearings into the $750-million purchase of used British subs asked whether they are the right kind of boats to maintain coastal sovereignty in the Arctic. Also yesterday, a crew member on HMCS Chicoutimi said he called the Halifax command centre on Oct. 5, the day the sub caught fire, to report that the blaze was major. The public, however, was initially told that the fire was minor.
Lieutenant Peter Bryan told the CBC that on the day of the fire, he used a satellite phone to reach officials in Halifax. "I told them that we'd had a major fire," he said.
A second crew member, Gary Taylor, said the submariners were confused when they saw media headlines the next day.
"First thing we saw was 'A minor fire cripples Canadian submarine,' and we're like looking around the compartment going, if this is minor I'd hate to see major.
"Somebody had their wires crossed somewhere. Never was it reported from the boat it was a minor fire. It was a major fire."
The severity of the blaze became publicly apparent a day later, after Lieutenant Chris Saunders died from smoke inhalation and two other crew members were sent to hospital.
The hearings at the Commons defence committee into the purchase of Chicoutimi and three other diesel-electric submarines are the first test of the opposition's ability to control Parliament's investigative tools in a minority situation. Committee chairman Pat O'Brien, a Liberal from London, Ont., seemed willing to accommodate opposition MPs as they grilled General Ray Henault, the chief of the defence staff, and Vice-Admiral Bruce MacLean, the navy chief, about the rationale for submarines.
The officers asserted that the subs are a crucial component of Canada's coastal defence capability because they can operate covertly, deter intruders such as illegal fishing vessels and can launch a deadly attack on hostile warships.
But when pressed for details as to what Canada's submarines have done in the past 25 years that the navy has been operating them, the officers came up with only two examples.
Vice-Adm. MacLean, a former sub commander who sailed the older Oberon-class subs that the British subs replace, said he recalled an episode in the mid-1990s in which a sub helped to stop a ship smuggling drugs into Canada. He also noted that a sub located the black box flight recorders from the Swiss Air jetliner that crashed off the Nova Scotia coast in 1998.
Bill Blaikie, the NDP defence critic, said that he's going to need to hear more evidence about what subs have been able to do that other military equipment can't. But based on the answers yesterday, "there's a paucity of that kind of information."
Noting that most of the overfishing off the East Coast is being done by ships from countries that are Canada's military allies, Claude Bachand, the Bloc Quebecois defence critic, scoffed at the suggestion that a submarine is the type of ship to deter fishing vessels.
"Do you seriously think a Canadian submarine would sink a Spanish boat?"
Aircraft, including unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) that were used to try to find Osama bin Laden in Afghanistan, are better types of military equipment to find smugglers and illegal fishing boats, Mr. Bachand said.
Conservative defence critic Gordon O'Connor, a retired army general, suggested that submarines are a rather expensive way to go after fishing boats and smugglers.
Subs can also locate other submarines, often at a great distance, Vice-Adm. MacLean said, noting that about 40 other countries have submarines.
But other types of underwater sensors can do the same thing, Mr. O'Connor said.
The Conservative MP said in a later interview he is keeping an open mind about whether Canada needs subs, but this is an important question as the government conducts a full-scale foreign and defence policy review this fall.
Larry Bagnell, the Liberal MP from Yukon, said this particular type of British-made subs could not operate in the Arctic, where other countries have challenged Canadian sovereignty. He asked whether Canada wouldn't have been better off with nuclear-powered submarines that can remain submerged for longer periods, a crucial capability for operating under ice.
Keith Martin, the Liberal parliamentary secretary for defence, wanted to know whether a submarine is more expensive to operate than a surface ship such as a frigate.
He didn't get a direct answer. "I'm loath to compare costs," Vice-Adm. MacLean said.

pbi - That's an article from the Globe.   Not smart enough to link to it but added the bold face.   The Lt(N) in question was giving interviews from home to the major networks.   At least he didn't wear his uniform for them.   The comments from the interviews were what got my blood pressure up.  Is it what he really did?  Who knows, but its what he's claiming in the national media.

Ok, seen. Thanks for that. Well.....if he was cleared by his commander to talk about a matter that is under investigation, I guess it's OK as long as he's telling the truth. Getting such permission might be possible, if somewhat unlikely.

If, on the other hand, he's "free-lancing" before the investigation is over, then I agree he needs to be jerked back in line. IMHO we owe the dead officer at least the respect to let the investigation be properly completed before people start selling their own versions. Cheers.

Ok I have some points here:
1) I know Lt(N) Bryan and he does not freelance. And as the XO onbord he hardly rates being called junior (junior in rank but not in position or responsibility). So speculating he is doing otherwise is only calling his integrity into question.
2) So subs are not used that much....as I am and you are aware neither were the tanks so is this a tit for tat game? I am not sure if this was an open or public meeting but in most cases submarines ops is just not discussed. If ppl actually think that remote sensors and UAVs can take the place of subs in naval warfare they are smoking crack! I am surprised General Connor took the approach he did but then again when army generals start giving their thoughts on how the navy should operate we tend to roll our eyes much like the army would if the navy started to give opinions on army matters.

Ex-Dragoon said:
I am surprised General Connor took the approach he did but then again when army generals start giving their thoughts on how the navy should operate we tend to roll our eyes much like the army would if the navy started to give opinions on army matters.

I agree, this whole g.d. thing is getting way out of hand and a lot of good people are being pressed into providing comments on an issue they really know nothing about. Exactly why is a ground pounder weighing in on this at all? 

When somebody who was there, and has actual first hand executive command knowledge of the situation speaks on the issue, I think it would be a lot more helpful if we knew both the question and preceding questions he was asked, in what context, and most importantly: was the full answer in reply provided?  Was he being questioned or cross examined? Lt. Bryan, as X-O of the boat, has a duty of loyalty to those who rely upon him, and I cannot fathom for 1 minute that he is going to spout off about the CoC in the manner and context being presented. 

As for Drapeau ... who really cares what he has to say anymore? He is stale dated materiel .. some people just cannot let go of the past, and he is simply living in it.     

So when did this sub incident become a "Navy only" issue? When an Army guy says something that upsets the Navy? As far as comments on the Navy's operations go, most General Officers have attended at least one (if not more) joint staff courses in which all types of ops are studied and units of all services are visited. If we extend your argument to its logical conclusion, the CDS cannot comment on anything that is not Air Force.

Now, just so I'm making myself very clear about my opinion on the XOs's comments: When there is a serious military incident that is under investigation, especially one involving death or injury, NOBODY opens their mouth to the meda about it, without permission. Anybody who has ever had any PA famil trg at all (as most officers should have by now) knows that. Therefore, I have to assume that the XO was authorized to speak. If not, he is wrong, wrong, wrong and I don't really care how great a guy somebody is or if they were on the scene or not. Once the investigation is complete, IMHO that's different. It has nothing to do with integrity and everything to do with allowing due process to occur.   Cheers.

Pt 1: It sounds like there was just a bit of clarification. NDHQ announced the fire was initially "minor", probably due to a communications mix-up or a slip of the tongue. When more facts come in, everybody "piles on" and accuses the Navy of a cover-up, so the XO was probably trying to clear up the misconceptions before they spread. The media prefers a sensational story, so.....

Pt 2. While I personally have never served in the Navy, and the closest I have ever been to a sub is the captured U Boat outside the Chicago Museum of Science, I can still have an opinion of the utility of subs simply by looking at it from a "combined arms" perspective. Airplanes and UAVs are great for fast response and covering areas quickly, but have limited endurance, and are usually visible to the observed.
Submarines can compliment this sort of coverage by being on station for prolonged periods of time, and not being observed themselves. Neither asset is much good on its own, but working together (and with other assets like surface ships, sea bed sensors and space surveillance) have a huge synergy effect. I might not think the "Upholder" class was the best possible sub, but it was what was available (and who knows, a submariner could probably tell us why the "Upholders" were the best choice), so it is better to take it than have nothing.

pbi said:
I cut this from the CBC News site this AM (20 Oct), from an article on the Chicoutimi fire inquiry:

"I say we have a very, very serious problem. That we are not getting the straight goods from the military staff. And this is peace. Imagine what it would be like if this were war, or an emergency."

Now, based on exactly what does he make that comment? The inquiry isn't even finished and he is already calling the Navy liars. This is the same individual who commented on the Tarnak Farms deaths by saying that 3PPCLI doing night training in an area of operations was a sign of how poorly trained they were. I wish people like this would be quiet at least until the investigation is finished. Cheers.

What troubles me is the comments on war - OF COURSE THERE WOULD BE LESS MEDIA COVERAGE IN A WAR.  I bloody well hope so!  I still think Geraldo Rivera should have been shot for his truly ridiculous grandstanding during the war last year, and his idiotic gaffe on international television. 

a_majoor said:
Pt 1: It sounds like there was just a bit of clarification. NDHQ announced the fire was initially "minor", probably due to a communications mix-up or a slip of the tongue. When more facts come in, everybody "piles on" and accuses the Navy of a cover-up, so the XO was probably trying to clear up the misconceptions before they spread. The media prefers a sensational story, so.....

Pt 2. While I personally have never served in the Navy, and the closest I have ever been to a sub is the captured U Boat outside the Chicago Museum of Science, I can still have an opinion of the utility of subs simply by looking at it from a "combined arms" perspective. Airplanes and UAVs are great for fast response and covering areas quickly, but have limited endurance, and are usually visible to the observed.
Submarines can compliment this sort of coverage by being on station for prolonged periods of time, and not being observed themselves. Neither asset is much good on its own, but working together (and with other assets like surface ships, sea bed sensors and space surveillance) have a huge synergy effect. I might not think the "Upholder" class was the best possible sub, but it was what was available (and who knows, a submariner could probably tell us why the "Upholders" were the best choice), so it is better to take it than have nothing.

U-505 - Daniel Gallery, the admiral in charge of the task force that captured her - was a very good author.  His book on the capture of the sub was great reading, while his other books - mostly sea stories from his career - was even better.

But I digress.

Submarines also have certain uses for Army operations, on a small scale, namely the insertion of small land forces where helicopter or parachute are not stealthy enough....Not saying that is worth 750 mil, just saying it is another factor worth considering...

I am surprised General Connor took the approach he did but then again when army generals start giving their thoughts on how the navy should operate we tend to roll our eyes much like the army would if the navy started to give opinions on army matters.

I agree, this whole g.d. thing is getting way out of hand and a lot of good people are being pressed into providing comments on an issue they really know nothing about. Exactly why is a ground pounder weighing in on this at all?  

Please note Gen(Ret'd) O'Connor is a retired "ground pounder" and now the Official Opposition's Defence Critic with a seat on the Committee...given this he's more than correct in weighing in by asking questions and providing thoughts on this issue.

Please note Gen(Ret'd) O'Connor is a retired "ground pounder" and now the Official Opposition's Defence Critic with a seat on the Committee...given this he's more than correct in weighing in by asking questions and providing thoughts on this issue.
Then he should have questioned the choice of submarines not the role and need. He should have known better.

I might not think the "Upholder" class was the best possible sub, but it was what was available (and who knows, a submariner could probably tell us why the "Upholders" were the best choice)
Believe me I have tried but the two that have shown interest in participating have thrown their hands up in disgust because in their views a lot of partipants here have their minds made up about submarines and have no clue and will never have a clue on submarines.

So by your argument PBI if an admiral attends a joint staff course then he can start commenting on airmobile tactics? He might get the idea but in no way he becomes an expert. That was my argument and a lot of these guys Lewis MacKenzie included have made comments to the media over the last few years that makes people believe they know whats best for elements they may have worked with but never belonged to.

"Believe me I have tried but the two that have shown interest in participating have thrown their hands up in disgust because in their views a lot of partipants here have their minds made up about submarines and have no clue and will never have a clue on submarines."

If they have the time I think they would all do us a service by explaining in the most laymen of terms the role of subs and why we need them.  The tankers have no problem definding the tank etc.
I may have missed their post but the role of a submariner (and the navy for that matter) is a bit of a mystery to me as IMO they don't get a lot of exposure.  For example I had no idea how much of a role the CN had in bording parties in the Gulf.

So by your argument PBI if an admiral attends a joint staff course then he can start commenting on airmobile tactics?

Yes-of course (No pun intended...) That's one of the purposes of joint training: to let people understand and comment on the operations of the other services. Cheers.

Like I said CFL they have seen some of the posts in here and feel they would be wasting their time trying to explain it as they feel some of you guys already view yourselves as "experts". As for what we did boarding wise in the Gulf and thwe navy in general you will find numerous posts I have made on the subject.

And just how serious would a room of infanteers take said Admirals comments PBI?

Back