• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Major online uproar over Marvel comics making new Ironman 15yr old black girl

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Marvels leaps into controversy even as the recent shootings seem to dominate the media this week:

CBC

Marvel fuels internet clash by making Iron Man a 15-year-old black girl
Tony Stark will soon be replaced in Marvel's Iron Man comics by teen genius Riri Williams

By Lauren O'Neil, CBC News Posted: Jul 07, 2016 8:09 PM ET Last Updated: Jul 07, 2016 8:09 PM ET

Marvel, purveyor of superhero franchises, has given two vocal and constantly sparring online communities a new reason to wage battle this week by changing the gender, age and race of a canonical comic book character.

Whether or not the fans were flamed on purpose is up for debate — but what's certain is that Iron Man will soon be a 15-year-old black girl from Chicago.

Meet Riri Williams, a science prodigy who leaves the "chaos and violence" of her city behind to enrol at MIT, where eventually she reverse-engineers an Iron Man suit in her dorm room.

(...SNIPPED)

Marvel isn't stupid.  While the movies are about the comic book characters, villains, storylines - at the end of the day, they bring in huge amounts of $$ at the box office.

Ironman isn't just a movie franchise.  Its a very successful movie franchise.  And without it, the Avengers franchise couldn't exist. 

I am going to guess that this is just going to be an exploration of one of the alternative comic book venues.  (Such as different versions of Spiderman, Spidergirl, Spiderwoman, etc)

SJW convergence tends to ruin everything it touches, including movie franchises. Do you really think Iron Man fans want to spit through a 2hr scolding about what nasty privileged white people they've been?

a 15-year-old black girl from Chicago.
She better be transgender or I'm going to throw a brick through a department store window and looting all the shit inside!

Jarnhamar said:
She better be transgender or I'm going to throw a brick through a department store window and looting all the crap inside!

Ya know I had something really sarcastic typed up here because I thought it was funny.

But then I stopped and deleted it, because I didn't want to get in trouble and this is a publicly searchable forum ;)

But let's just say shallow plays got money are just that.

Jarnhamar said:
She better be transgender or I'm going to throw a brick through a department store window and looting all the crap inside!
It's OK, she self identifies as white, like the reverse of that white chick who ran a NAACP chapter in the US.

PuckChaser said:
It's OK, she self identifies as white, like the reverse of that white chick who ran a NAACP chapter in the US.

Attachments

• face.png
    face.png
    336.8 KB · Views: 112
Back