• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kuwait honours CFB Gagetown servicemen and women

formerarmybrat23

Inactive
Reaction score
from cbc.ca

The Kuwaiti government recognized Monday the efforts of servicemen and women from CFB Gagetown during the 1991 Gulf War.

Dr. Musaed al-Haroun, Kuwait's ambassador to Canada, flew from Ottawa to the base, just outside Fredericton, to present 24 medals.

The government of Kuwait initially sent a set of medals to Canada in 1993, but somewhere along the way they went missing.

Al-Haroun said when he became ambassador in 2005, he made it his mission to get another set made and bring them to soldiers who helped his country.

"So just to meet somebody who has contributed to the liberation of a country is something, you cannot say any words for that," al-Haroun said. "It is still vivid in my memory how much we suffered, and to have somebody who has done this to you … thank you is not enough, whatever you do to them is not enough."

Even though many years have passed, al-Haroun says the Kuwaiti people are still thankful for the work of Canadian Forces.

Continue Article

More than 4,000 soldiers have already received the Canadian Gulf and Kuwait Medal.

Cpl. Stephane Fortin received a medal from the ambassador Monday.

"It's always gratifying being recognized for the work that you've done, you know," he said. The Middle East is a very, very … different world. It was quite an experience."

With many Gagetown soldiers currently serving in Afghanistan, the men and women honoured this week say they appreciate a chance to look back on a mission much earlier in their careers.

"I feel good about it," said Master Cpl. Jean-Marc Theriault of his work in Kuwait. "[The people have] gone on and they've managed to get their lives together again and so it is a very good feeling."

On June 4th, at the Denison Armouries in Toronto, all the folks from that area (Toronto, Trenton, London, Meaford, Borden) who applied for the medal will be receiving it there, during a ceremony with the Ambassador and the Commander of LFCA.

Armynewsguy

This is happening in Valcatraz tomorrow morning.
Considering the "official" canadian medal for service in the Gulf for GW1 has already been distributed and this will only be a drawer liner / wall filler, AND
Considering the CF & the Cdn Gov't did so much foot dragging (to the point of losing the 1st batch of medals)......... They sure are making a big deal outa this thing.

Anyway... Congrats to the recipients, enjoy the party & drive safe

Chimo!

geo said:
This is happening in Valcatraz tomorrow morning.
Considering the "official" canadian medal for service in the Gulf for GW1 has already been distributed and this will only be a drawer liner / wall filler, AND
Considering the CF & the Cdn Gov't did so much foot dragging (to the point of losing the 1st batch of medals)......... They sure are making a big deal outa this thing.

Anyway... Congrats to the recipients, enjoy the party & drive safe

Chimo!

Geo, make sure your distain goes in the right place. 

The CF, due to the fact that this medal can not be worn by service pers (as you pointed out) really did not want anything to do with the distribution of the medal.  As a matter of fact we started off only involved as a courtesy to the Kuwaiti's to get the list of possible recipients together.  You know what they say about good intentions, and something else that rolls downhill. ::)

Disdain?... no, not really.

From my perspective, this was a political hot potato, not a military one.
However, once the decision was made to present em, might as well make a big show outa the darned thing.

Armynewsguy said:
On June 4th, at the Denison Armouries in Toronto, all the folks from that area (Toronto, Trenton, London, Meaford, Borden) who applied for the medal will be receiving it there, during a ceremony with the Ambassador and the Commander of LFCA.

Armynewsguy
Thanks for the info.  And I find this out now! today!  Not forthcoming with the info these days, are they?  I guess they can send mine in the mail. 
>:(

Here's the reason for the lack of info.

You will only be invited to the ceremony if you have not already received the medal in the mail, and have applied to have the medal presented to you.

If you have not yet applied then the medal will be mailed to you. 

People are being informed according to the form they filled out so if you have been posted since you applied then you might slip through the cracks.

Back