• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kids working!

army_paralegal

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
12-year-olds join Alberta labour force

KATHERINE HARDING
Saturday, June 25, 2005
Printer Friendly version

EDMONTON -- Bridgette Tsang still doesn't know what she wants to do
when she grows up, but the 12-year-old Grade 6 pupil is already a
poster child for a controversial labour change in Alberta.

"It's great and you get lots of money," she said about her weekend job bussing tables at a Humpty's restaurant in Edmonton.

Until earlier this month, the job would have required a special
government permit.

Provincial officials, however, have quietly thrown out the requirement that young people between the ages of 12 and 14 must have government approval to work in the food and restaurant industry.

Labour regulations vary from province to province, but jurisdictions
such as Ontario don't even grant special permission for people under
the minimum working age, which varies between 14 and 18 depending on
the industry.

The change in Alberta, which took effect June 3, has angered labour
groups, which say it is a dangerous way to appease employers and ease the province's chronic labour shortage.

The Alberta Federation of Labour has complained that children should be playing, not working, and are most vulnerable to exploitation by
employers because they don't fully understand their rights or the
safety risks involved.

"There is plenty of time in life for working. Why are we in such a rush to push children into the work force?" association president Gil McGowan asked.

He is upset that Premier Ralph Klein's Progressive Conservative
government did not hold public discussions about the change or even
warn that it was coming.

"With one stroke of a pen, the government has created a new type of
child labour in this province," Mr. McGowan said. "What's next? Letting 10-year-olds work on construction sites?"

Sarah Doyle, spokeswoman for Alberta Human Resources and Employment,
said the decision to get rid of special permits had nothing to do with the labour shortage caused by the province's red-hot economy.

"Underaged minors are not part of the solution to resolving that labour shortage. It's a far broader issue," she said. "Kids are supposed to be in school."

The decision to scrap special permits is simply about eliminating red tape, she added.

Last year, the province received about 500 requests for special
permits; 80 per cent were for "low-risk" jobs in the food and
restaurant industry. That was a significant jump from 2003, when there were only 340 applications for permits.

Ms. Doyle added that people between the ages of 12 to 14 still need
written parental consent to work, and a safety checklist must be
completed.

Children are also not allowed to use deep fryers, slicers, large knives or grills, and must be supervised by adults at all times. Young people cannot work more than two hours on a school day or between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m., she added.

For many employers, the new rule is welcome, although many contacted by The Globe and Mail had no idea it existed.

"It's the best news I've heard in a long time," said Ahmed Saeed, who manages an A&W fast-food restaurant in Fort McMurray. The competition for fast-food restaurant staff in the bustling northern Alberta city is so fierce that most have to offer dental and medical benefits.

The starting wage at Mr. Saeed's restaurant is $8.50 an hour. That is higher than the province's minimum wage, which is to move to $7 an hour in September.

Mr. Saeed said he employs a handful of people under the 15, and will
probably hire more now that permits are no longer needed.

"We are busy, busy. I can't find people fast enough and most don't stay around that long. I'm always training."

However, not all employers in the industry believe that hiring workers between 12 and 14 is the right way to battle the labour shortage.

"I'm always looking for people, but I think that's getting kind of
young," said Ron Tatarniuk, manager of a Dairy Queen in Edmonton.

"I'm not sure they are ready to work at that age in this type of
industry. Dealing with the public isn't easy."

Bridgette, who lists reading science fiction and listening to hip-hop as her hobbies, said working with the public is one of her favourite things about being employed. Her mother, Nancy, owns the restaurant where she works.

"It's fun to meet new people," the youngster said. She is saving her
paycheques and tips to buy a laptop computer.

"I probably won't do this when I get older, but I like doing it right now."

I would have loved a part-time job when I was 12, would have saved me the scar I have under my nose that I got while hawking used golf balls recovered from the woods and ponds.......
Dem balls are morder...

I have been working since I was 12 yrs old. It didn't hurt me at all, considering I really didn't have much of a choice in the matter, not because I was forced to but it was just a necessity at the time. I had my first "legitimate" job at 14, since the age of 12 I have been a labourer, dish washer, lawn mower, plumber, doorman, bartender, etc, etc..... I like to think that I appreciate what I have now much more because of the years of working for it rather than having it handed to me like so many people I know who had a much more privileged youth than I. I know many people from my home that started working at a very young age and I think we are all the better for it and maybe were more prepared for "real life" because of it.

Hey, I'm in the same boat - better to have them working than to have them on the street getting into trouble.

As much as the Union's would like us to believe, nobody really "exploits" workers in the classic sense - the Labour Codes that Provincial Governments have tend to be fair.

I feel that kids should be able to work non-risky jobs, HOWEVER they should have a min. amount of hours imposed on them (like a shift a week).  I've been working since I was 12, and now that I'm almost ready to enter the 'real world' I felt cheated of having a "real" teenaged life.  I had to work every weekend and a weeknight, and I never got to go to the cottage, on trips, to Wonderland or anything 'fun' because I had to be at work all the time.  HOWEVER, I feel that having worked as a teenager, I was more mature, and when I moved out of my parents house it wasn't such a big culture shock to me.

Mappy said:
I never got to go to the cottage, on trips, to Wonderland or anything 'fun'

I worked at wonderland as a kid, cleaning up tables...You didn't miss much.

Slim

If I wanted to be a trades person or a service industry person for my career than I wouldn't "have" to work. However, I decided at a fairly young age that I wanted to go through university.  My parents told me that if I wanted to go, I would have to find the money myself (and Im still working 2 part time jobs to pay for school).  Other than that, other than that, I had to pay for my bus fare, extracurricular school fees (and being in orchestra playing cello, those costs were fairly high), and any clothes I wanted. 

The small number of my high school peers (I went to a high school that was surrounded by million dollar homes.....I was a transfer student) that did work as much as I did helped out their parents (who were single-parents mostly) because living in Mississauga is not the cheapest place to live!

Well done Mappy

you seemed to have learned the value of work where so many young ones haven't and won't for many of their younger years!

Good for you. :cdn: :salute:

Still , one has to learn how to relax and take it easy...Life can't be all work and no fun...

Slim

Still , one has to learn how to relax and take it easy...Life can't be all work and no fun...

Exactly!  Working at a young age has it benefits, and I will have my children hold a part-time job.  However it wont be at the extent that I did.  And I'm having some fun now (first two consecutive weekends off in a row....something I haven't experienced in a LONG time!)

I should also add that while working at least 20hrs a week, I was in three orchestras, track, soccer and volunteered.  My hectic schedule definitily taught me quite a bit about time management, which is paying off while in university!

I've been working since I was 10 I think.  I still got to do normal kid things, and only worked all summer.  I was able to attend some things in the summer during the day, and always had nights off.  I worked in tobacco, made some money and learned how to be a good worker.  I had my first part time job in grade 10 I think it was, and have held about 6 of them so far (up to 4 jobs at a time for a brief period)  Meanwhile I do have alot of money saved up for school as I am paying for it all, I did miss out on some things when I was younger but don't really regret anything.  I think that it really helped me by teaching me how to be a good working, farm work is good for fitness to some degree, and made money for school.  I learned how to manage my money because I learned that I would have to work my butt of to make it.  Now that I'm older everyone that doesn't have things handed to them works so I don't tend to miss to much.

J.G.

I also have no problems with this at all.  I grew up in logging camps on the coast and there was never enough kids to do certain tasks like cleaning the machines and such.  I started working at the age of 12 and I've been working ever since.  I think I'd like to make my kid do the same as the experience taught me values that I believe I would have missed otherwise.  I have also met many peers who never worked at all as a kid and sometimes one can quickly tell that some of these people were/are spoiled. 

This thread also reminded me of my interview at CFRC.  The recruiter for some reason was somewhat confused trying to picture my employment history from my resume.  She questioned my one summer when I was unemployed (camp shutdown) and quizzed me a little on this, seemingly wondering if I was an unemployed slacker during this time.  Afterwards I thought to myself "Gee, I was only 14!" 

DJ

Back