• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Israel defends use of phosphorus - BBC News

Yrys

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Israel defends use of phosphorus, BBC News

_45397735_006735954.jpg

Some rights groups say images from the conflict prove the
illegal use of phosphorus

Israel insists its use of white phosphorus shells during its three-week
campaign in Gaza was not illegal

Foreign ministry spokesman Ygal Palmor said an internal investigation so far
had found no evidence to support claims it was illegally fired near civilians.

White phosphorus is legal for making smokescreens in open battleground.
But rights groups and journalists say it was used in crowded civilian areas.
The weapon sticks to human skin and will burn through to the bone. It can
cause death or leave survivors with painful wounds which are slow to heal.
Its ingestion or inhalation can also be fatal.

Army investigation

The UN said its headquarters were hit by three white phosphorus shells
during the offensive, causing a fire destroying much of its aid supplies.

Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch and foreign journalists who
have gone into Gaza since the operation ended say they have found
evidence of its use in crowded residential areas.

The Israeli army said on Wednesday it would investigate the allegations.
But Mr Palmor told the BBC that the probe had so far found no evidence
to support the claims.

"Parts of the Gaza Strip are open battlefield and I'm not going to go into
the specific circumstances of each and every incident because I haven't
investigated and neither have you," he said.

"I will content myself with quoting the words of the ICRC, the International
Red Cross.... that they have no evidence of illegal use of white phosphorus
in Gaza and they will refrain from making any comments pending further
investigation."

Although that picture isn't the best from a PR angle, I never really understood the "Illegal Use of White Phosphorous" argument.  The Hague Convention prohibits the use of illuminary devices to be used in an offensive role but doesn't expressly forbid the use of inflammatory weapons.  If we take a white phosphorous shell and designate it as a "Shell, 155mm, Enemy Incinerating" then I don't see a legal issue.

Having taken some training in the Law of Armed Conflict, I now realize how ignorant most folks are of the legal codes that address how we conduct ourselves on operations.  Misconceptions and urban myths like "The Geneva Convention bans .50 cal against pers/flamethrowers/white phosphorous" flourish in this environment.

Am I the only one who is wondering how a photographer can stand under a rain of white phosphorous and still manage to take such a clear and compelling photograph ?

I realize that people do manage to get those "once in a lifetime" shots from time to time.
But bearing in mind that Reuters was caught photoshopping pictues of the Israeli damage to Lebanon a couple of years ago, not to mention that the photos from the so-called massacre at Qana were also -legitimately- called into question...

Sorry, but I have my doubts about this one.

Given the prevalence of digital cameras, and the prolific use of WP in the recent conflict, I have no doubts as to the authenticity of the photo.  There have been plenty of such spectacular photos from that, and many wars.  But Infanteer is right.  WP can be used in two roles "creating smoke" and "inflicting casualties".  Having said that, the use of HE, WP or KE weapons where there are civilians, is a bit problematic "in this day and age".  We had no such qualms dropping them on "little yellow people" in Japan, or "dirty little krauts" in Germany.  How things (and times) change.

I always get told off when we head down to the Arty simulator and i call for regimental fire to "mark" the infantry target with Willy Pete.  8)
I really have a deep admiration for Isreal. They've got the balls to stand up for what they believe in and defend themselves from agression. They fight clean while their enemy fights dirty and yet they always end up being portrayed as the bad guy. Its a shocking double standard i think.
If Isreal can justify their use of phos as a tool within the laws then I for one am certainly not going to question them. They're a nation that deserve peace after all the aggression they've been shown.

Back